jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in the west, you have to have five years in the woods before you're considered "broken in." And that's five years of working in a real commercial/professional environment.

Most outfits here won't even touch you as a faller unless you have five years of verifiable experience - verifiable means that someone known in the industry with a good reputation
can speak for you. Some younger guys make it in because their dads or uncles have decades in the business and are well thought of...and usually those guys have taught their boys
well and have had them out on the job for quite some time.

Otherwise you start at the bottom - setting chokers, chasing landing, pulling rigging, etc.

You do pretty good for a dumb hillbilly.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Most outfits here won't even touch you as a faller unless you have five years of verifiable experience - verifiable means that someone known in the industry with a good reputation
can speak for you.

Like the ol' catch 22, union expression goes.
"You can't have a job unless you are in the union and in order to be in the union you need to have done a job."

In BC, you either buy your way into a $30,000+ course or you had experience before hand to challenge the then new system and their certification. Most of the guys that could bypass the course that never fell on the coast never did/would try to acclimate to the coast. Most all WCF's were already coast Fallers or came up through the course The course has trainees for 180 days before they could certify. Some guys take yrs to get 180 days
3-4-5 yrs alone. Many never get there. Some will do it in ten months if it's 'boom town time' and they graduated at the top of the class. Contractors will go up and ask "who's the best in the class?"

Generally 'you' are not considered one to be a Faller..that under 5 active yrs on BC coast ..now that's out of principle and that will stand. There has been men that achieve MOST all the respect in their first year. A hand full we know got killed in their first year but made that level. Mad Respect!
Basically, if you 'make it' 5 yrs then you have a right to be a Faller. As you are saying, it's only relevant to timber type.
Just sharing the BC way.

I didn't acclimate to heli falling my first time around, IDK? Made a few mistakes so did my Supervisor. We actually went whey back to the early tree thinning days of the early 90's. He may not have given me the nod or it was the Faller/owner couldn't move on and let it got. He was pissed for me not showing up on the first day. (He kept bringing it up)
Sadly, My Bullock, then, (Davie) did get killed Heli Falling. The guy that gave me the nod on a different job. (Donny) Well a Cedar laid
him in his grave, also. Last words on the hand held radio was "we'll see you on the next one." That's a great way to sign out.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha! Looks like hairy t¡ts ! There probably wasn't a good way to make that mess a nice stump.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How noisy was that? Enough to get some of the neighbors to come out expecting fail video carnage?

Not too crazy loud...branches for cushion.
The next one was better, bigger. One neighbor saw it and enthusiastically approved. I have the vids on YouTube, not sure if I should post in one of the long running threads or my own...and if my own, which section...

Allanb8d

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Noob here (to the forum and felling), these are some of the stumps on my first ever felling projects. Did 30+ trees helping a family friend clearing their land.

It was a very humbling and fun experience. Still gotta lot to learn. Quite addicting too.

20210421_174847.jpg
20210505_155242.jpg
20210506_195256.jpg

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with that term, what’s a sizwheel?
So I showed a couple of my guys the sizwheel which they refer to as a "swizzle" and now they call any felling "swizzling" which is where my screen name came from :p

"Hey are you going to swizzle that tree?" Lol

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag