Stihl 661 porting/big bore info

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. I have been doing some reading, and although used the search function here I don't ever seem to find a lot of info on the subjects I am searching (I believe its a "me" thing). I am hoping to get some info, opinions, etc. I have a Stihl 661 M-Tronic. I have a desire to possibly have it ported and a big bore done if possible. I know very little about these operations. The saw does not have what I would say to be a lot of run time. Is porting worth it? Are big bores possible on the stock cylinder? I see a 58mm Wiseco big bore piston on Ebay, but do not know if it will work in this application or what it would put the cc at. Any opinions and advice is greatly appreciated.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in order to get a big bore, you'd have to have an OEM cylinder honed out and re-plated which can run into $$. I've not seen an off-the-shelf big bore cylinder available.

Those motors take well to porting and pretty much all of our builders have souped up 661s at one point or another, so there's no real way you could go wrong there. I've only
run one ported 661 and it was very strong. I'd be happy to cut timber with one.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott the inbuilt search function doesn't seem to work very well at all.

Try googling your search terms or variations followed by 'site colon :eek:peforum.com' where the blue face is an o ie

Stihl 661 porting/big bore info site:eek:peforum.com

Last edited:

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the performance people on this forum are extracting from the 661 while still using the original piston, I would not bother looking at big bore options unless you had an immense desire to go down that path.

I can attest that a standard bore size Tree Monkey worked 661 will give you the full ported chainsaw experience.

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scott the inbuilt search function doesn't seem to work very well at all.

Try googling your search terms or variations followed by 'site:eek:peforum.com' where the blue face is an o ie

Stihl 661 porting/big bore info site:eek:peforum.com
Yer not on AS anymore buddy, you can actually type opeforum in your posts over here without it getting blocked!