Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 288 that was set up the same way. Although it may have been like a 461 with the separate main jet. It wouldn’t lean out to where I wanted it. I soldered the jet shut and just ran it off the screws. 1.25 turns out

I would have rather used solder. But.....I didn't want to pull the diaphragm out of the nozzle and chance damaging it. I was also worried that the solder would wind up in places I didn't really want it going inside the nozzle. We'll see how the epoxy holds up. I let it cure a few days before I reassembled the carbs.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would have rather used solder. But.....I didn't want to pull the diaphragm out of the nozzle and chance damaging it. I was also worried that the solder would wind up in places I didn't really want it going inside the nozzle. We'll see how the epoxy holds up. I let it cure a few days before I reassembled the carbs.
Yep I would’ve done the same thing. The one I did must have been a separate jet because I wouldn’t have heated up a main nozzle either

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See the brass jet in the middle with the hole in it?

View attachment 249810

That’s also the main nozzle.

View attachment 249811 View attachment 249812

To the right of that jet though, is an h side feed hole for the screw. So the #56 jet is always allowing that much fuel through, regardless of your screw setting. And when you open the h screw it flows down through that hole to the right and around the screw tip and back into the main nozzle in addition to what the #56 jet flows.
Thanks Kevin, learned me something new. Is this .62 jet just an secondary to the main nozzle as well? I assume the two .34 jets off to the side are the low speed circuit?F941E6F9-6586-4B3A-85C7-F4ED33185404.png

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the derail Randy btw.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The jet you have circled is just like the HD50 with a main nozzle that isn’t drilled all the way through to the bowl and a separate fixed jet that always lets x amount of fuel through it. I drew in the jet locations in red and the path of fuel in blue through the aluminum casting that we can’t see. The other 2 brass jets are low and transition jets that probably flow into the welch plug area

F7638ADA-05F3-4AD1-80C0-216FA88DF89C.jpeg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The jet you have circled is just like the HD50 with a main nozzle that isn’t drilled all the way through to the bowl and a separate fixed jet that always lets x amount of fuel through it. I drew in the jet locations in red and the path of fuel in blue through the aluminum casting that we can’t see. The other 2 brass jets are low and transition jets that probably flow into the welch plug area

View attachment 249821

I've spent a lot of time and money teaching myself how these things work.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try wd40. It doesn’t burn as bad.

Back when I was in school, everyone smoked.....so we used the little straws you stir coffee with to blow smoke thru the holes in the carbs so we could see how the different circuits worked. These were Q-jets and Holleys. Yeah, I'm old.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when I was in school, everyone smoked.....so we used the little straws you stir coffee with to blow smoke thru the holes in the carbs so we could see how the different circuits worked. These were Q-jets and Holleys. Yeah, I'm old.
These days they do the same thing but with a machine.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 249821
This is fantastic info, thank you

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It helps me understand why when I put the .68 jet in... it was only 1/2 turn out on the H at 12,800rpm in 80 degrees ambient temp and 1000ft elevation. Changed back to the stock .62 jet... and the venturi bored out 1mm, I was 1 to 1-1/4 out on H at 12,800 in the same temps and elevation. When the saw and carb was stock it was 3/4 turn out at the same temp/elevation. I’m sure it would have ran ok if I left the .68, but I wanted room to be able to deal with variation in elevation, temperature and mix fuel. Taking into consideration my elevation is fairly low here in CT depending on where I am (varying from sea level to 1,100 feet roughly). I am guessing that 1 - 1 3/4 turn out on the H is a good ballpark range to shoot for depending on your elevation/temp?

Last edited: