High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is your stove “always going?”

Tmac23

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My Enerzone 3.4 is idle at the moment, but runs nearly non-stop from October-April. If the PA weather continues to fluctuate I may fire it up a few more times this season. I use a propane wall unit some in the spring/fall. I also have an oil furnace for hot water and baseboard heat. I much prefer burning wood to the sound of the furnace running.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
From late October until early April to id March, this is the usual view of the N.E. corner of my family room:
617.jpg
P.E. Alderlae T-6, heating about 2/3 of a 2,4500-2,500ish sqft 2 story farm house. we've tightened up the house a lot over the last decade, but we still have much to do. Heat pumps do the rest + A/C. In the colder parts of the Winter, the stove may not truly go out for weeks at a time. I'll empty the ash drawer daily, and usually rake the coals from the ashes, and scoop the out, then reload an go again once daily. I reckon that it paid for itself (installation and all) either by the end of the first Winter, or early in the second. We were initially going through a 500gal propane tank per 1-1.5months, with the t-stat set at 65°F. Now, my electric bill is still lower, the propane only fuels the kitchen stove/oven, so I'm going on three years on the same tank fillup, and I burn between 4-7 cords annually. This Winter was a bit lighter, I only went through about 3.5 cords, maybe 4.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
England 28-3500 add on only heat sourse we have in the house.
Normally by this time of the year it is stone cold and cleaned out for the summer maintance.

Last year we had the endless winter so it was going up to ealy May.
Thos year with the Canadians not keeping their AC to them selves it is still going after having let it go out several times.

In the morning when the day time temps rise I load one big chunk of Ash that just fits thru the door and shut every thing up tight as a mouth with alem.

then at night I load it up with small chunks of Maple for thre all night burn.

Al

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have frost warnings put for Saturday morning and Monday morning. The wood stove tales the chill off the air, no doubt about it. My neighbors are all jealous.

Then again, some crook stole a half truckload of split oak firewood from me this past Tuesday morning during the wee hours.. Disgusting, isn't it?

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't stand thieves. Reinstate the laws for horse thievery for other possessions and you'd see crime plummet.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The trouble I see is that supermarkets and service stations can sell firewood for about a buck a log or more, none of which is oak. So, the crooks see a stack of split oak and figure a truckload is worth no less than $400.

That's pretty good free bread and they love getting away with it. A huge high for them. These thieves sorted down through my stack and found the best oak I had that was below the rest stacked above. Are they experienced at doing this? Probably.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow... Around here, that might result in an "accident" if they were caught... That's beyond B.S.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know that I've angered some people locally ( I live just outside of a VERY small town). People wanted a cord of wood for $100. I laughed and said that I'd burn it in a bonfire before that, as I know what my time and equipment is worth.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that I've angered some people locally ( I live just outside of a VERY small town). People wanted a cord of wood for $100. I laughed and said that I'd burn it in a bonfire before that, as I know what my time and equipment is worth.
A cord of wood for $100? Anyone that asks for that has never tried to process a cord. They haven't a clue, nor do they care about the work that you did to make one available.

I say let them buy bundled logs for a buck apiece. Unfortunately, the crooks that stole mine were probably counting their money as they loaded it up because they knew how much it was worth and they knew that the split oak was worth even more. So, they dug down deep in the pile to find it.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, the people asking are used to their friends who'll do almost anything for a fix... I'm not one of them.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I told the that's what I charge for 1/2 cord, delivered and stacked. They scoffed, and I invited them to leave. That wood is worth almost as much to me, when burning in my own stove, given the energy savings. Plus, Hedge doesn't really rot, so even if it sits for 3-4 years, I'm good with that.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Whyere were you while they were dumb enough to only take a half truck load?
Where was thr dog the one that doesn't like strangers messing around the wood pile not to mention the fence around the wood pile as a dog run.

Al

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
07633b1852f024c51d98be37bd0dc2ac.jpg

Still burning here. Mid 30’s all day. Slight snow flurries this morning.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whyere were you while they were dumb enough to only take a half truck load?
Where was the dog, the one that doesn't like strangers messing around the wood pile not to mention the fence around the wood pile as a dog run?

Al
I was a sleep and unfortunately, I had to put the dog asleep last year. She made it to 15.5 years and yes, she would have alerted us of the theft. Lady, a flat-coated retriever, was the best watch dog I ever owned. I will never forget her.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's Lady as I will always remember her:
Lady and Stove in 2016.JPG
She loved my wood stove and the radiant heat that it kicked out. Where you see her in this Pic is also where she took her last nap. Unable to stand up or walk, I carried her to my truck and then to the vet to be euthanized. Everybody loved her.