User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's crazy, why would they do that?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
They say its for environmental reasons, they are working away just like all
the other manufacturers on battery powerd equipment, their smaller efforts
are already with us.

Battery power will work in the forestry sector better than it will for the likes
of farmers or people cutting firewood.
Look at the tree in the forest, how many heavy cuts after the falling cut,
look at the same sized tree and someone bucking it into firewood.
Look at the removal of limbs in the forrest setting, not many,
compared to the limbs and braches that get cut in a firewood setting.

My point being, battery will work and be viable in the main sector that uses
chainsaws, the rest of us will have to adapt to preserve battery power in the field, and then use electric saws to do the major processing in our yards or take a genny or one of those already available towable battery banks to the processing site and use an electric saw.

This is only my take on the future without gas / petrol saws

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone posted that Makita are to stop production of Gas powered
chainsaws from 2022, there is a link in the second post too, which I
have not yet looked into.

If so, @Wilhelm , have you heard anything from the Dolmar side.

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/dolmar/makita-dolmar-gas-to-end/
I have not yet contacted my German Dolmar supplier to confirm or deny what is going on, but I intend to.

As others have posted, Makita anounced a hold on further development and eventual cease of sales and production of gasoline powered products in favor of battery powered equivalent products by 2022.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sucks. They could still make both. I will never buy a battery chainsaw. I'm 57 and I believe I have enough gas saws to last the rest of my life.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They say its for environmental reasons, they are working away just like all
the other manufacturers on battery powerd equipment, their smaller efforts
are already with us.

Battery power will work in the forestry sector better than it will for the likes
of farmers or people cutting firewood.
Look at the tree in the forest, how many heavy cuts after the falling cut,
look at the same sized tree and someone bucking it into firewood.
Look at the removal of limbs in the forrest setting, not many,
compared to the limbs and braches that get cut in a firewood setting.

My point being, battery will work and be viable in the main sector that uses
chainsaws, the rest of us will have to adapt to preserve battery power in the field, and then use electric saws to do the major processing in our yards or take a genny or one of those already available towable battery banks to the processing site and use an electric saw.

This is only my take on the future without gas / petrol saws
The better for the environment factor is a smoke screen for dolmar/makita. The real truth is probably lack of sales

there is no way in hell they are going to think they will be able to compete production levels with gas vers electric out in the bush.
Pretty lame agenda if yas ask me

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought I'd use or own battery drills, sawsalls etc .However I do and they have their place as I suppose so will battery chainsaws . My granddad had a plug in chainsaw, Craftsman and just for occasional stuff it worked out just fine for him .If you have a postage stamp sized lawn a battery lawn mower would do good .Not so good on the 2.5 acres I mow though .That would take month of Sundays and two dozen batteries .

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The better for the environment factor is a smoke screen for dolmar/makita. The real truth is probably lack of sales

there is no way in hell they are going to think they will be able to compete production levels with gas vers electric out in the bush.
Pretty lame agenda if yas ask me
I would like to think we will soon see powerfull enough batteries to drive the
likes of a chainsaw, the chainsaw its self should be lighter allowing for larger batteries,
and with Makita in the powertool / moror businness for so long, they will know how to
get a good motor in the saw, and battery tech is improving all the time, and there is a huge
area of forrest that is not full of big trees, yes, certain areas will have big trees that will no
doubt be a challenge to the first round of large battery powered saws, but I cant see how we
wont get there in the not so distant future.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought I'd use or own battery drills, sawsalls etc .However I do and they have their place as I suppose so will battery chainsaws . My granddad had a plug in chainsaw, Craftsman and just for occasional stuff it worked out just fine for him .If you have a postage stamp sized lawn a battery lawn mower would do good .Not so good on the 2.5 acres I mow though .That would take month of Sundays and two dozen batteries .
But what if we werent allowed gas powered tools, then everyone would be on the same
footing, cost of production might rise, but when did you ever see people complaining about
being able to make more money because they could / had to charge more to cover their costs.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sucks. They could still make both. I will never buy a battery chainsaw. I'm 57 and I believe I have enough gas saws to last the rest of my life.

I genuinely look forward to the technology coming along to enable the
use of even a 3kw battery powered chainsaw.
Its only a motor in a plastic composite or allowy shell, the battery will be biggie, but I think they are close, enough time has passed since other types of products started and successfully replaced
gas power with battery power, cars for one example.

Slotracer577

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is current batteries don’t have a high enough energy density. The electric drive is not much of a problem. Looking at the dyno tests today, a 70cc saw makes around 6.5 hp. That’s 4.9kw. Let’s say it has to run at full throttle for an hour. That 4.9kwh. Right now lithium batteries are about 245wh/kg. So you would need a battery that has 5.4 kwh assuming 90% motor effiency, which would weigh 48.5 lbs. or 5 batteries that weigh about 10lb each to get 1 hour of cutting time or you could cut for about 12 min per battery.
let’s look at how much gas that would take. Assuming 20% efficiency, on the low side due to being a 2-st, we need 24.5 kwh of energy. With a gallon of gas containing 33.7kwh, we would need about .75 gallons of gas. That is only about 4 lbs.
Don’t take this as I don’t like electric power, I am just skeptical of its usage in many applications without a major breakthrough in battery technology.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is current batteries don’t have a high enough energy density. The electric drive is not much of a problem. Looking at the dyno tests today, a 70cc saw makes around 6.5 hp. That’s 4.9kw. Let’s say it has to run at full throttle for an hour. That 4.9kwh. Right now lithium batteries are about 245wh/kg. So you would need a battery that has 5.4 kwh assuming 90% motor effiency, which would weigh 48.5 lbs. or 5 batteries that weigh about 10lb each to get 1 hour of cutting time or you could cut for about 12 min per battery.
let’s look at how much gas that would take. Assuming 20% efficiency, on the low side due to being a 2-st, we need 24.5 kwh of energy. With a gallon of gas containing 33.7kwh, we would need about .75 gallons of gas. That is only about 4 lbs.
Don’t take this as I don’t like electric power, I am just skeptical of its usage in many applications without a major breakthrough in battery technology.
Good to see some figures, and am not questioning them, I have not done any
maths myself, am leaving that to the people who get paid to do it and come up
with the goodies. But a lot of work is done with much less powerfull saws,
the race to the end will have to stop, new ways of going about such tasks as
cutting trees will have to be intorduced, and the resulting economic factors
catered for.
48 lbs seems alot of weight, but then look how big the first computers were.
Look how carbon fibre lightened up things too.
Look how motors have become digital,
things are a changing.

Dolmar had a nice fourstroke engine, they dropped it, someone who used it praised
how well it ran, how much torque it had too, maybe for the bigger trees that batteries
would be a problem with this or even more up to date engine tech would be an option.

On a less positive note, if the planet keeps on burning and the insects keep
getting nastier, we may have a lot less trees to cut, they sure can be destroyed
in a short space of time, much faster than we can grow replacements.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not yet contacted my German Dolmar supplier to confirm or deny what is going on, but I intend to.

As others have posted, Makita anounced a hold on further development and eventual cease of sales and production of gasoline powered products in favor of battery powered equivalent products by 2022.
I hope you bring us good news @Wilhelm, I mean if Stihl and Husqvarna are continueing
to make gas chainsaws, then a company like Dolmar has no obvious need to stop making
their contributions, its either financialy unviable, or a real environmental clampdown is coming.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Her you go, problem solved, the first Mastermind Solar lawnmower
Husky.jpeg
Seriously, I do understand the problem with batteries in certain tasks will take a lot of work yet,
but the powers that be will probably legislate to ensure we live within our means, as a society,
for example, no lawns over a certain size, all for the good of the planet of course, but you
can have any size lawn you want as long as you pay a carbon tax on the oversized plot, "just so
the wealthy dont have to suffer".

On the other hand, dont Caterpiller have an electric tractor, that would cut lawns I would imagine.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They've experimented with some form of electric drive for decades .Allis Chalmers had a version that used solar cells on a farm tractor .They also had a battery powered riding lawn mower .Neither one proved to be successful .They've tried gas turbines again with a low success rate .The Wankle did not work out very well .
The battery or hybrid would work for urban areas but not very well for rural areas . Then again to trim the apple tree in the back yard a battery chainsaw would work but not so well on a 3 feet diameter white oak tree in the middle of a woods a half mile from the nearest road .