Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

True......but this saw only had a few minutes of run time, and others have had hours.

So.....you see why I dislike these threads?

People get an idea in their head.....and....

A few thousands out of square on the base ain't gonna cause this sort of thing. Hanging a ring in a port, over lightening of the piston.....or even a defective casting could have caused it. But I can't see assigning blame to any one thing when the fact is we will never really know.

Some people have even said they think Brad blew it up on purpose. I'm not sure a more insane theory has been floated yet, but that one is the reason I'm sorta annoyed about the whole thing......

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Point taken, but his sloppiness in regard to cutting the base would likely contribute to shortening the life of many saws.

It is so good that so many on this site have had their cylinders checked, and I can't say enough about those who have been doing the checking & correcting!

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True......but this saw only had a few minutes of run time, and others have had hours.

So.....you see why I dislike these threads?

People get an idea in their head.....and....

A few thousands out of square on the base ain't gonna cause this sort of thing. Hanging a ring in a port, over lightening of the piston.....or even a defective casting could have caused it. But I can't see assigning blame to any one thing when the fact is we will never really know.

Some people have even said they think Brad blew it up on purpose. I'm not sure a more insane theory has been floated yet, but that one is the reason I'm sorta annoyed about the whole thing......
Theres lots of ways that a finger could be pointed ..........

Lately I've been thinking of less finger pointing

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my humble opinion it's impossible to be sure of what really happened. I've never really liked these sort of threads because everyone adds their thoughts and ideas from just seeing a few pictures. People begin to blame the builder, the operator, the parts manufacturer, hurricane Irma, etc.....

It's just a saw that blew up. Mess with these things long enough, and we all will see one come unglued.

Very true. I just wanted to make sure that ground on pistons didn't become bad ju ju. Things have a tendency to snowball like that.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was working with Jason on building a 064/066 at the time before this saw blew up. I actually had pics of the piston and how it was lightened and was following Jasons pictures on lightening my own. After this saw grenaded I felt strong enough that it was the piston that did this that I tore my saw down and took my lightened piston out and went back with a stock Meteor

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my humble opinion it's impossible to be sure of what really happened. I've never really liked these sort of threads because everyone adds their thoughts and ideas from just seeing a few pictures. People begin to blame the builder, the operator, the parts manufacturer, hurricane Irma, etc.....

It's just a saw that blew up. Mess with these things long enough, and we all will see one come unglued.

I had one of my own built 101 Kart saws come unglued. Right in my own
hands it locked up. Back to the drawing board. That one was expensive.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was working with Jason on building a 064/066 at the time before this saw blew up. I actually had pics of the piston and how it was lightened and was following Jasons pictures on lightening my own. After this saw grenaded I felt strong enough that it was the piston that did this that I tore my saw down and took my lightened piston out and went back with a stock Meteor

Exactly the hysteria I was referring to.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chit Happens Yo !!!!!!!!

hqdefault.jpg

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know what caused it?

Mcculloch wrist pins have a bit different set up. The piston has two
bearings one on each side of the piston pressed in. The wrist pin is
then pressed into the rod. Well it moved and out came the needles
from one bearing. Destroyed the piston and block.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also sit thinking how he manage to make those pattern Doc (almost look like his ball hone is defect since he manage to make the pattern close to the top of the jug)
Those marks are not from a hone. They're more than a surface scratch.

If you're tossing that case, I'd like a shot at repairing it.

I'm keep it as a trophy of destruction, lol.

It is really a wonder that more saws do not blow up at 15,000 RPM!

This one was tuned to about 13,800 when it blew.