High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Inside the Exploded JMS 064

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen some engine carnage on various things in my day, but wow!!

Funny, I have seen more than a couple folks say his port work is good. Doing good port work takes patience and care. Strange that he drops the ball on general assembly. I'm not saying this to dispute the findings of the recipients of this shoddy work in any way. Just an observation of the oddity that he does good port work but neglects the rest.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen some engine carnage on various things in my day, but wow!!

Funny, I have seen more than a couple folks say his port work is good. Doing good port work takes patience and care. Strange that he drops the ball on general assembly. I'm not saying this to dispute the findings of the recipients of this shoddy work in any way. Just an observation of the oddity that he does good port work but neglects the rest.

I've had the same exact thought after reading all of these threads that show saw after saw with bad threads and the like. Since port work takes being meticulous you would think he would be meticulous about things besides port work -- such as simply confirming a screw has the threads at least started well so they don't be buggered. Wow.
I can't stand buggered threads... huge pet peeve for me.

Carry on!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bet is that Jason assembled that case. I'm pretty sure he had it powdered and then he assembled.

Jason used a ball hone on his cylinders. I use a hone routinely, and I don't get that awful pattern he does. I use a fine 3 stone though.

My bet is that his failures are from piston/crank/pin bearing side loading from poor machining. The lightened pistons and AM parts just fall apart quicker that the sturdier OEM parts would.

If you're tossing that case, I'd like a shot at repairing it.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bet is that Jason assembled that case. I'm pretty sure he had it powdered and then he assembled.

Jason used a ball hone on his cylinders. I use a hone routinely, and I don't get that awful pattern he does. I use a fine 3 stone though.

My bet is that his failures are from piston/crank/pin bearing side loading from poor machining. The lightened pistons and AM parts just fall apart quicker that the sturdier OEM parts would.

If you're tossing that case, I'd like a shot at repairing it.
I also sit thinking how he manage to make those pattern Doc (almost look like his ball hone is defect since he manage to make the pattern close to the top of the jug)
The 3 shoe hone you use, what grit does it have? P150, P180, P220?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Schnikeys- I had that happen once on an 046 that I lightened the piston too much on. Luckily it was my own saw, but it was still painful- Crank, case, piston, tank- all garbage.
Which IMO is what happened here . Piston was alil too light. I ran this saw when my buddy John got it from JMS and it ran really well but lacked alil bottomend for my taste

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my humble opinion it's impossible to be sure of what really happened. I've never really liked these sort of threads because everyone adds their thoughts and ideas from just seeing a few pictures. People begin to blame the builder, the operator, the parts manufacturer, hurricane Irma, etc.....

It's just a saw that blew up. Mess with these things long enough, and we all will see one come unglued.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In my humble opinion it's impossible to be sure of what really happened. I've never really liked these sort of threads because everyone adds their thoughts and ideas from just seeing a few pictures. People begin to blame the builder, the operator, the parts manufacturer, hurricane Irma, etc.....

It's just a saw that blew up. Mess with these things long enough, and we all will see one come unglued.
Carnage is what's up...... IF........ It's due to testing the limits of what some thing is capable of.

However, not cool if the carnage is due to carelessness.

In this case (pun intended) no one knows for sure.

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
However I must also ad, carnage should be in the research and development stage only. And r+d should never be part of the final product/ customer paid stage

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
However I must also ad, carnage should be in the research and development stage only. And r+d should never be part of the final product/ customer paid stage

In other words...

To make an omlet, you gotta break a few eggs.

But nobody wants egg shells in their omlet.

astnmacgto

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In other words...

To make an omlet, you gotta break a few eggs.

But nobody wants egg shells in their omlet.
I sure do love a well constructed, visually pleasing omelette, made with quality ingredients by someone who has learned how to make a great one every time

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'll agree that it is impossible to ever know for sure what happened, but when about 10 out of 10 of his jugs that were tested were not square with the bore, IMO, speculating that this may have been the cause is not out of bounds and is entirely reasonable.

It is really a wonder that more saws do not blow up at 15,000 RPM!

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

It's Trump's fault you big dummy!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll agree that it is impossible to ever know for sure what happened, but when about 10 out of 10 of his jugs that were tested were not square with the bore, IMO, speculating that this may have been the cause is not out of bounds and is entirely reasonable.

It is really a wonder that more saws do not blow up at 15,000 RPM!

But.....9 out of those 10 didn't come apart.

So...????