High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I need a 038 MagII air filter, what are my options?

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up a 1-owner minty 038 Mag II at an auction. I didn't need it but it was cheap enough I couldn't leave it go.

I did some searching and it seems the choke flap in the filter is problematic on these. Fortunately (or unfortunately) that isn't my issue. This saw sputters on the first pull and starts the 2nd pull EVERY time. Sadly, the flocking on the filter is disintegrating leaving the open mesh screen behind. I'm scared of the choke flap horror stories from other threads here and OEM filters don't appear to solve the problem. Should I roll the dice on one? OE? Aftermarket?

Is it possible to redo the flocking? I could remove and reflock if it's possible.

I have no desire to put a large filter and adapter/trumpet setup on this saw. I'm not sure I'm keeping it but if I do it will be a user saw (firewood, personal logging, loaner, etc) and a big filter isn't going to work with that.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 1-owner minty 038 Mag II at an auction. I didn't need it but it was cheap enough I couldn't leave it go.

I did some searching and it seems the choke flap in the filter is problematic on these. Fortunately (or unfortunately) that isn't my issue. This saw sputters on the first pull and starts the 2nd pull EVERY time. Sadly, the flocking on the filter is disintegrating leaving the open mesh screen behind. I'm scared of the choke flap horror stories from other threads here and OEM filters don't appear to solve the problem. Should I roll the dice on one? OE? Aftermarket?

Is it possible to redo the flocking? I could remove and reflock if it's possible.

I have no desire to put a large filter and adapter/trumpet setup on this saw. I'm not sure I'm keeping it but if I do it will be a user saw (firewood, personal logging, loaner, etc) and a big filter isn't going to work with that.
I am making up Oil foam filters to dress up my climbing saws. All of them are choking on stock filters. No chance of the ported ones running worth a piss with a half clogged filter.

020/200T
Possibly an 038 AM one if you need it.
That filter is already here in stock new Hyway.
Material should be in this month to start making some up for our work saws. Nothing fancy just good clean air with washable filters. Got my de-flocked 034 OEM spare filter came in last week. My original is minty but still passes fines. These are my forever saws getting fresh modern updates. Outerwear maybe or maybe not. Might not fit or work right in the smaller covers. 038 has plenty of room and I have one here complete 038. My 260 could use a better filter and the old Macs. some of the 361's and 066/660's are getting it also.

My dead hardwood testing will tell plenty on the climbing saws.
Bucking this bone dry rotten white oak will test the mill saws. Could work nicely on the early 044, 064 and my early 084's. They all have panel filters just like the 1125's do.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an oem one in very good shape, I tried a mesh new one but the choke would not engage or disengage properly.
I would recommend the oem.
Ive had better results with 028s and the aftermarket filters but not the 038s.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had an oem one in very good shape, I tried a mesh new one but the choke would not engage or disengage properly.
I would recommend the oem.
Ive had better results with 028s and the aftermarket filters but not the 038s.
I have no experience with the 038 but just found most of the parts to complete the one here. Carb is on it and I found the plastics just now. Found some weird air filter looks like an old 281 or something like that. No 038 filters but that new AM one.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken the 038 mag and either a 380 or 381 is the same saw .They obviously aren't sold in the USA but unless it's been discontinued a dealer can get parts for it . BTW that model is one of my favorites .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked on Flea Bay and they have 038 air filters up the the ying yang .Flocked ,screens whatever floats your boat .8 bucks and up .

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked on Flea Bay and they have 038 air filters up the the ying yang .Flocked ,screens whatever floats your boat .8 bucks and up .
Yes, but a search of 038 air filter turns up thread, after thread, after thread of problems with 038 air filters. The problem is the choke flap located inside the filter. OEM filters don't appear to be exempt from the issues either. I was fishing for recommendations on brands that may be less troublesome. I don't mind spending $8 on a fleabay air filter if it has a reasonable chance of success. But $8 for a 5% chance if success isn't what I had in mind. Just trying to figure out if there is a better way to approach this.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of mine, two mags and an av have OEM filters so as far as after market I have no idea .The chokes have always worked on my OEM filters

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep
hot glue gun round the edges
there will be a new 038 af in your stuff

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found some extremely small wire mesh on flea bay I used to coble together the filter for one of the Partner p-100s I rebuilt a year ago .The project of two of them took me two years to find all the parts . As luck would have it I found 4 new filters for 20 bucks by pure chance on flea bay but the mesh did work well .So on these parts don't give up the ship just keep looking ,they will show up .

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, first cheap Ebay filter is a failure. The arm for the choke is just slightly off and binds up instead of actuating the choke.

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm about to let this girl move on down the road, it's getting under my skin.

I can't even get it to start anymore...it sputtered tonight but that's it...I can't tell if it's flooding out or lean...

Dennisthemenace

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A 381 filter is the same, I have never had any choke problems with either my 381 or 038. If the MAG has the original Bing non compensated carb just block off the comp port on the new filter.