TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never knew John to insult folks but I guess your experience was different.

As for the term "hawk chainsaws or parts over the internet" I hear that term from a few folks but none can explain it.
Allow me to explain it to you...

"Hawk"
verb
To sell goods informally in public places.

Used in a sentence:
"On every street corner there were traders hawking their wares".. and

"Wa'happened, you run out of chainsaws to hawk?"
:hello:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hawk1
/hôk/
noun
noun: hawk; plural noun: hawks
  1. 1.
    a bird of prey with broad rounded wings and a long tail, typically taking prey by surprise with a short chase.

1710102667153.jpeg

1710102667253.jpeg

1710102667286.jpeg

1710102667319.jpeg

1710102667352.jpeg

1710102667383.jpeg
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      a bird of prey related to the buteos.
    • FALCONRY
      any diurnal bird of prey used in falconry.
  2. 2.
    a person who advocates an aggressive or warlike policy, especially in foreign affairs.
    "severe limits were put on the peace plan by party hawks"
verb
verb: hawk; 3rd person present: hawks; past tense: hawked; past participle: hawked; gerund or present participle: hawking
  1. 1.
    (of a person) hunt game with a trained hawk.
    "he spent the afternoon hawking"

2. 2.
    (of a bird or dragonfly) hunt on the wing for food.
    "swifts hawked low over the water"

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hock

to sell something that you hope to buy back later because you need money now: She had to hock her wedding ring. Synonym. pawn. SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases

Grammer police

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hock

to sell something that you hope to buy back later because you need money now: She had to hock her wedding ring. Synonym. pawn. SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases

Grammer police
Nope. The word "hawk" used here refers to "To sell goods informally in public places."
It's an old-timey word probably never heard of before by most, used in this way.
Like "hussy" and "haint."
Or, "gay," which now means something totally unrelated to what it meant back in the 1920s.
;)

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hock

Grammer police
Here is what I know. I need to get out of the woods and see how my fighting Illini are doing against the cowardly Iowa Hawks. Hopefully piss pounding them

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is what I know. I need to get out of the woods and see how my fighting Illini are doing against the cowardly Iowa Hawks. Hopefully piss pounding them
Penn State is dominating wrestling again !!!

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
" To “hawk” originally meant “to offer for sale in a very vigorous, public fashion, especially by calling out loudly in the street,” in the classic fashion of newspaper vendors. Modern “hawkers” tend to be found in TV infomercials, where a fast, aggressive and mind-numbingly repetitive sales pitch can hypnotize millions of otherwise sane people into buying musical doorstops and digital clothes hangers.

One might think, especially after watching a few infomercials, that “hawk” in this sense is a metaphor, likening a “hawking” huckster swooping down on hapless customers to a real hawk hunting field mice. But while “hawking” can have definite predatory overtones, the bird we know as a “hawk” (whose name comes from a Germanic root meaning “to seize”) is not the source of this “hawking.”

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Penn State is dominating wrestling again !!!
I do not pay any attention to wrestling other than when my sons wrestled. No offense but Penn State should never have been allowed in the Big Ten nor should have Rutgers and Maryland. The Big Ten is a midwest conference!!

Also the Illini is blowing it. They were up 30-9 in the first half ......now the Hawks are handing them their asses. I am only 45 minutes away from the game but good thing I did not go. I would the fan on ESPN highlights getting thrown out.

I have done it at high school games.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Woof I’d hate to see the murderer’s row of dick you been through if you think I got quality dick 🤷🏼‍♂️
I am not sure what qualifies as "quality dick" and I definitely do not want to know

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...............Modern “hawkers” tend to be found in TV infomercials, where a fast, aggressive and mind-numbingly repetitive sales pitch can hypnotize millions of otherwise sane people into buying musical doorstops and digital clothes hangers................
That explains a lot. Shut the TV off.

I do not watch much TV and never an infomercial since Carlton Sheets in the 1980's

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That explains a lot. Shut the TV off.

I do not watch much TV and never an infomercial since Carlton Sheets in the 1980's
I don’t watch TV much either. Once or twice every week or every other week.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure what qualifies as "quality dick" and I definitely do not want to know
I might still have some contacts in SF for you… O never mind…

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That meme fits me. My mother took off when I was 8 and my brother and I stayed on the farm with Dad. He was shall we say "rough around the edges". Every Friday night we would go to the local supermarket to get groceries. Just like clockwork in the checkout Dad would flirt with the woman working even if she was half his age. (we were born late in his life) I use to get goosebumps with some of the lines he would say. The worse was when I was a teenager and not going with him anymore. One Saturday morning he came to me and said "dammit Bill we need to talk". He proceeded to tell me the night before he was checking out at the grocery store and the young lady seen his name on the check and asked if he was related to Bill. He told her yes that is my son. She said "well tell him hello". He was pissed off. You see the girl was a young black gal. My Dad wanted to know why some black gal was telling him to tell me hello. I shrugged it off but had he known where her and I were the previous weekend I may have been pounding fence posts for a week.

I now find myself flirting with ladies half my age.