Huskyboy meets the 572xp

John7478

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local loggers have switched to the 572. They were running mostly 461 and switched to 572xp about a year ago. Out of 9 new 572's 2 of them shattered crank bearings not long into operation. Dealer fixed the 2 saws. Also told me the 572 are lasting about a year under heavy use. Said stihl would last twice as long but he likes that the 572 doesnt beat him up as bad.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We sell to multiple mills depending on location of tract. All are the same... It comes down to structural integrity of the finished product when they sell the matts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure a weak footing under a large crane suspending several tons above a work area is a no no.
If the wood was sh!t wood then the mill wouldn't buy it. Let's be square. Come on now...

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local loggers have switched to the 572. They were running mostly 461 and switched to 572xp about a year ago. Out of 9 new 572's 2 of them shattered crank bearings not long into operation. Dealer fixed the 2 saws. Also told me the 572 are lasting about a year under heavy use. Said stihl would last twice as long but he likes that the 572 doesnt beat him up as bad.
Do we get to mention what gutless toilets 461s are pre-mods? The last stock 461 I used that was in good shape was utterly pathetic.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup if you overheat the bearings in these newer saws they melt the cages (plastic caged bearings) and the bearing fails. Just about every new saw (stihl, husqvarna ect.) from every manufacturer except maybe a few models has them now. Which I was disappointed to learn. However I realized that the manufacturers know what they are doing and doing it for a reason. The plastic cages aren’t as tough as metal... but when the disintegrate they don’t wipe out the cylinder/crank like metal cages do. The saw can then still be rebuilt rather than a total loss. Keep a sharp chain and don’t overheat the saw... they should give good life in theory.

Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the wood was sh!t wood then the mill wouldn't buy it. Let's be square. Come on now...

Is that not what I said??

He said good logs go for sawlog. Dead for ties and matts... I stated our matt mills which there are many will not buy with any sign of bore kill.

A dead oak or maple with bark still intact and no visible rot is another thing entirely. Its the bore tunnels in the ash that freaks the matt mills out

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that not what I said??

He said good logs go for sawlog. Dead for ties and matts... I stated our matt mills which there are many will not buy with any sign of bore kill.

A dead oak or maple with bark still intact and no visible rot is another thing entirely. Its the bore tunnels in the ash that freaks the matt mills out
You ever cut an ash. Ha ha ha

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe 1 or 2...

Lol
You cut any ASH in CT at the same site that Mason is logging right now? The Ash Borer has been in your area for the last 10 years or so. Hasn't been in northeast for as long as its been in Illinois.
You gotta give some credit for us up here.

Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You cut any ASH in CT at the same site that Mason is logging right now? The Ash Borer has been in your area for the last 10 years or so. Hasn't been in northeast for as long as its been in Illinois.
You gotta give some credit for us up here.

Has it been here that long? Hmm....

Actually it isnt a state wide or even a county wide thing. We still export ash which btw is also a no defect no emerald ash borer present type market. We still have some good ash in spots.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow haven't seen a solid standing Ash in a few years now. I thing a few Blue Ash trees in the area are resistant and have made it, other than that Ash is extinct in the Ohio Valley.[emoji111]

For guys going through 572 bearings, word is removing the guts from the tank vent looks like a fix, especially with ported saws. Not enough juice.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most the stihl you name. 440 460 461s even 661 use plastic cage. Only the older(2010?) Husky use metal cage as far as i know.
Yup and 462, 500i, 066/660, 390xp and 372xtorq to name a few more. I’m sure there are more, I don’t keep track. I just run em and cut wood.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the Asian 440 + 660 kits, one bearing is usually metal cage and one Nylon (I think).

I'm always careful not to over heat (with my HF heat gun) the ones with the nylon cage, as you can hurt them. (they will start to blister)