How to square file

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can hand file square just as fast as I can hand file round, and it works great for everything (regular cutting, ripping and milling).

When you get used to it, that file just fits the tooth like a glove and it is easy (as long as you learn to stroke straight and do it right or left handed).

I only use round (w/the electric grinder) to recover rocked chains.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square is more of a novelty item for me. Pretty easy to whip out a chain on the super jolly that hauls ass
I agree. I am not a racer so I don't care aboot speed when working. I'm more into smoothness and self feeding capabilities.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Liking square filed on the chainsaw mill if it is just a touch up and go on. Most of the bad stuff goes on the jolly grinder. Considering a high end wheel for that.

I like a plain rectangular file vs the goofy or six point ones. Fast chain is nice but smoothness and long lasting is my main reason for doing it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Liking square filed on the chainsaw mill if it is just a touch up and go on. Most of the bad stuff goes on the jolly grinder. Considering a high end wheel for that.

I like a plain rectangular file vs the goofy or six point ones. Fast chain is nice but smoothness and long lasting is my main reason for doing it.
Pics...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Next week I'm back to saw work for a change.
Have to sort out pics Sunday night for chains, chain making stuff and such.
That square filed round ground needs to happen again for the mill and a few firewood chains. It worked good last time till I found some steel. It's real easy to start over again once you did it a few times. Surprised more people don't do it.