Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh, it's just the tip. :rolleyes:

Chain rash, now You know how Your saw feels. ;)

Do You test every cutter like that, or only random teeth? :p

That is an unfavorable place for a wound, You will get plenty reminders using that hand/finger. :confused:

Troy G

Active OPE Member
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
script>

20200713_134634.jpg
20200713_134340.jpg
Hard to tell from the poor pictures but I think I may be a little low on the corner. Maybe top plate angle should be steeper? Does the side plate have too much angle? This is fresh Stihl RS chain.
script>

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
script>

View attachment 249952
View attachment 249953
Hard to tell from the poor pictures but I think I may be a little low on the corner. Maybe top plate angle should be steeper? Does the side plate have too much angle? This is fresh Stihl RS chain.
script>
Yep. Corner is just a bit low. Side plate doesn’t look too bad...but I’m thinking that beak, with that forward lean will make it pull hard and dull quickly.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
12:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi All
I'm new to learning how to square file
has anyone from Australia on here tried Square filed on our hardwoods like Jarrah?
Doesnt matter what specie you are cutting. Keep your guides high, top and side plates conservative to start.

Change to suit after running.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very first attempt every at square filing. Oregon 75CL with some run time on it. How bad did I do?
It's a good start. Looks high in the corner and probably coming in too flat with the file - shallow inside top plate angle and forward lean on the side plate. Try lifting up on the back end of the file and rotating counter clockwise. On the opposite side cutters(no pics) rotate clockwise. Check out Junkman's pics on this page for a nice example of file angles.

https://opeforum.com/threads/how-to-square-file.139/page-2

Last edited:

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a good start. Looks high in the corner and probably coming in too flat with the file - shallow inside top plate angle and forward lean on the side plate. Try lifting up on the back end of the file and rotating counter clockwise. On the opposite side cutters(no pics) rotate clockwise. Check out Junkman's pics on this page for a nice example of file angles.

https://opeforum.com/threads/how-to-square-file.139/page-2

Awesome thank you for the advice. That’s the kind of stuff I was wanting to help me improve

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awesome thank you for the advice. That’s the kind of stuff I was wanting to help me improve
Check out the video that Wolverine posted on this page.

https://opeforum.com/threads/how-to-square-file.139/page-241

Pay attention to all 3 file angles -up/down of the rear end of the file, in/out ( off parallel from the bar) and rotation of the file towards and away from the cutter. I'm an ok filer not great. If I can get those angles working together and the file right in the corner I'm happy. Your hand that is holding the back of the file will thank you later if you wear a leather glove. I ripped open my knuckles a few times in the beginning using cheap dull files, pushing too hard, skipping the file and whatever else.