Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think anyone is getting razer sharp anything with a grinder or file? Sharp yes but razer sharp? meh not really....
Myself I found a profiled finishing stone gets a chain's cutter close to razer sharp still experimenting with it but yeah tis sharp if razer sharp kind of stuff is what someone is looking for?
Pic just for reference I've not sharpened that chain in the pic just showing how the stone fits the profile of the tooth of round filed cutters.
You get a better edge with a square file if going for square than you do with a round file going for round filed IMHO..
View attachment 247530
Fine grit diamond round file will give an extra fine finish following up a standard chainsaw file.
I have three diamond files for .404" & 3/8", three different grits.
I played with giving my chains an extra fine finish, but for me, in hardwoods, it is not worth the extra effort.

Is anyone using rotary sharpening with diamond burrs?
I have one, gave it a try and didn't like it.
It is just sitting in its box on my work bench and being push out of the way.
I think it can work for the average Joe, although the results have been sub par for me.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You files both sides? I don't see the chrome top plate! :)
Nah that was just some random pic of a knife edge I got off the net to show how bad a razer sharp edge can look if ya have a close look...
Could only imagine how bad a chainsaw cutter edge looks after a curse file rub...

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fine grit diamond round file will give an extra fine finish following up a standard chainsaw file.
I have three diamond files for .404" & 3/8", three different grits.
I played with giving my chains an extra fine finish, but for me, in hardwoods, it is not worth the extra effort.

I have one, gave it a try and didn't like it.
It is just sitting in its box on my work bench and being push out of the way.
I think it can work for the average Joe, although the results have been sub par for me.
Have you got a pic of these diamond files?
They sound like the go if a really sharp cutter is the goal.
As has been said for just everyday cutting of wood stuffs what is on the market is more than adequate for a sharp chain.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you got a pic of these diamond files?
They sound like the go if a really sharp cutter is the goal.
As has been said for just everyday cutting of wood stuffs what is on the market is more than adequate for a sharp chain.
Yes, I have some pictures on my desktop PC.
I'll either find and post those or I'll simply take new pictures.
The coarse grit is too rough, medium grit is good, fine grit is extremely fine basically good for polishing the cutter.
I got the files as a set off eBay.

I am not sure I'd even want to handle a chainsaw chain with razor sharp cutters.
I have had my fair share of cuts while sharpening chains and handling freshly sharpened chains.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I have some pictures on my desktop PC.
I'll either find and post those or I'll simply take new pictures.
The coarse grit is too rough, medium grit is good, fine grit is extremely fine basically good for polishing the cutter.
I got the files as a set off eBay.

I have had my fair share of cuts while sharpening chains and handling freshly sharpened chains.
I'll look into them I have more free time to play around with chains trying different things now days.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll look into them I have more free time to play around with chains trying different things now days.
Pictured below are 5.5mm diameter diamond laced files, and a standard 5.5mm Stihl steel file for reference.
The coarse grit diamond file is too rough to actually be used on a chainsaw chain.
The medium grit diamond file is a little coarser or equal to a standard steel file,
The fine grit diamond file is much finer than a steel file.

DSC03145.JPG DSC03148.JPG DSC03149.JPG

The good thing with a diamond laced file is You can keep the file within the tooth and it will take off material on both forward and backward movement when filing.

P.S.:
I purchased these on eBay as a set.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips so far guys
I think I misspoke. Razor sharp was misnomer. I’m a blacksmith and understand just how fine of an edge it takes to get razor sharp, and how delicate those fine slicing edges can be. I just want to be able to get my chains very sharp while maintaining the ability to hold an edge under normal conditions. I can watch videos and see the chips others produce and I know I’m not getting 100% of the Performance I could be out of a chain. Y’all have given me several things to look at and I really appreciate it. I’ll just keep on practicing and trying to improve with every chain. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am telling You, these could become Your best friends when it comes to filing chains.
They are cheap enough to give them a try.

P1060825.JPG P1060827.JPG

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turkey oak makes extremely short chips, while beech and hornbeam tend to generate longer chips.
Apple and willow also make longer chips.

All bucking cuts with a round filed Oregon LGX chain.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure I'd even want to handle a chainsaw chain with razor sharp cutters.
It would be deadly wouldn't it lol

When we used to sharpen our planer knifes they would be what could be called razer sharp.
Handling them it was easy to cut yourself without even knowing only clue would be where's all this blood coming from..

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A while ago I thought those diamond files could be a cheap way to file carbide cutters without having to buy expensive wheels for different pitch chains. But...apparently you still need a diamond wheel grinder and can't use these type of files for carbide? Someone may confirm this.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use a diamond laced file on carbide tipped chains, problem is You need a smaller diameter file to fit the gullet and You'd be filing for a while.

Touch up may work fine, real sharpening grinding is a better bet.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it true, that if you use a grinder to sharpen your chain once, it hardens the steel, so you cannot properly sharpen it again with a file. I learned of this theory from a video. I think this might be true, as I usually sharpen my chains with a grinder, and if I am in the field, and try to use a file to touch up, the file just glides over the teeth, removing no material.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should not be possible, steel need to reach critical temp of 800 or more celcius (1500? farenheit) to harden when quenched, wich is a rapid cooling.
When steel turnes blueish around 500 F that is whats called tempering wich lowers the hardness.

When you "rock" a chain that could harden it some, I think it's called deformation hardening or work hardening when it's not favorable.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it true, that if you use a grinder to sharpen your chain once, it hardens the steel, so you cannot properly sharpen it again with a file. I learned of this theory from a video. I think this might be true, as I usually sharpen my chains with a grinder, and if I am in the field, and try to use a file to touch up, the file just glides over the teeth, removing no material.
If the wheel is dressed properly and you lightly tap the cutter multiple times, it won’t burn them. I’ve heard of several people who were taught to use one solid motion all the way to the bottom because supposedly they thought that created less heat. Doing that will fry the surface of the cutter and make it so you can’t file it

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ground teeth can be a crap shoot to file, so the answer is YES grinding can harden chain teeth.

I personally do not grind my chains, but I got a bunch that were ground and I had a hard time getting the file to take a bite converting them to round filed.
As the ground portion of a tooth is filed back the file starts to take a proper bite.