How to get a chain razor sharp

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should not be possible, steel need to reach critical temp of 800 or more celcius (1500? farenheit) to harden when quenched, wich is a rapid cooling.
When steel turnes blueish around 500 F that is whats called tempering wich lowers the hardness.

When you "rock" a chain that could harden it some, I think it's called deformation hardening or work hardening when it's not favorable.

I was helping a friend with some chain sharpening and stuff, and had to regrind all of his chains very slow and carefully to de-harden them, because he had always ever used a grinder, and they could not be filed in the woods. The grinder will turn the teeth blue, which is a good indication that they have gotten hot enough to harden. I know the color change is also an indication you have lost the hardening. I'd say color change doesn't mean hard or not, it indicates a possible change in hardness. What matters is how fast it cools when hot. The fact that sparks are made when a grinder is used indicates steel is reaching red hot temps even on a microscopic surface thickness on the tooth, then the rest of the tooth quickly cools that superheated skin.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it true, that if you use a grinder to sharpen your chain once, it hardens the steel, so you cannot properly sharpen it again with a file.
No.

Every chain you use was ground at the factory. Contrary to popular imagination, STIHL, Oregon, etc., do not employ hundreds of workers to hand file each cutter on the miles of chain they produce every day. These chains all can be filed later.

If you overheat the steel, and let it cool quickly (like it does in air), you can harden the surface. This usually involves:
- sustained contact with the grinder;
- dull grinding wheels;
- a change in color of the steel (especially blue or black).

If you do this you can usually grind through this layer, and you will once again be able to file the cutter.

I learned of this theory from a video.
You need to watch better videos.

I usually sharpen my chains with a grinder, and if I am in the field, and try to use a file to touch up, the file just glides over the teeth, removing no material.
Learn how to grind better. Use sharp files.

I have ground at home and filed in the field for years. The hardest part is maintaining the same cutter profile between the 2 methods,

- grinding wheels get dull: that means you are rubbing dull abrasives against the steel tooth at several thousand RPM, creating friction and heat. Dressing the wheels frequently exposes fresh, sharp abrasives, which cut the steel and remain cooler. I dress my wheels lightly once per loop of chain.

- cheap wheels (e.g. the ones that come on cheap grinders) are lower quality than better wheels (which cost more). I use the Oregon, Tecomec, Total, or Molemab wheels. Resinoid wheels are also less likely to overheat the cutters.

- tap the cutters lightly, rather than for a sustained period; this is not a chop saw. If you took Morse Code training as a Boy Scout, use all 'dots' and no 'dashes'.

- practice on some scrap chains: intentionally overheat a cutter until it turns blue. Then work backwards to see how to prevent that on the remaining teeth.

Ground teeth can be a crap shoot to file, so the answer is YES grinding can harden chain teeth.
Operative word is 'can'. Does not mean the same as 'will'. 'Crap' is also an operative word when it comes to misinformation about grinders!

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Operative word is 'can'. Does not mean the same as 'will'. 'Crap' is also an operative word when it comes to misinformation about grinders!

Philbert
Even though I was at 22 hours without sleep when I posted my reply I did try to choose my words carefully.

Custom ground chains "can" be much harder to file than factory ground ones.
I have lost more than one Stihl round file converting custom round ground chains to round filed.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was helping a friend with some chain sharpening and stuff, and had to regrind all of his chains very slow and carefully to de-harden them, because he had always ever used a grinder, and they could not be filed in the woods. The grinder will turn the teeth blue, which is a good indication that they have gotten hot enough to harden. I know the color change is also an indication you have lost the hardening. I'd say color change doesn't mean hard or not, it indicates a possible change in hardness. What matters is how fast it cools when hot. The fact that sparks are made when a grinder is used indicates steel is reaching red hot temps even on a microscopic surface thickness on the tooth, then the rest of the tooth quickly cools that superheated skin.

If the cutting corner reach critical temp i guess it can harden, I just explained the theory.
Also only steel with a carbon content of >0.4% can be hardened. That can explain if the problem is linked to different brands.