High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How many cords of firewood do you cut a year?

How many cords of firewood do you cut each year?

• Total voters

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious to see how much firewood other members cut a year. If you sell firewood include that also. Last year I didn't cut as much as I normally do so I was in the "3-5" category.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut between 8-10 for myself. Another 6-8 for my folks. I help friends cut probably another 10 or so cord. I don't generally sell any wood unless someone is in a pinch and really needs some and I have some extra.

I have a wood/oil furnace as do my folks. I only buy 1 tank of furnace oil every other year or so. My folks probably buy 1-2 tanks full a year.

Shanks

Happy little lumberjack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I moved here last year. There is a lot of standing dead ash. A few oaks. And a whole lot of dead pine. Plus I cut a few down for some friends. The last one was a locust that was a little over 36" at the base. I think it will be about 3.5 cord split. I only burn 4 cord a winter.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It just depends. I only burn about 3-4 cord at my house, sell a few, and help out a friend of mine with a OWB (he burns 15 cord or so per year). I should have 10-20 cord of log length poles cut within the next month. I'll sell what I can, hopefully have a few sawed, and keep the rest for next year. It's nice side work, I definitely wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. There is a lot easier work out there, and gas is definitely cheap right now...

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like this thread OP should have it moved to the Firewood hacks area could use it there.Anyway I cut between 16and 20 for myself.
I have 4 stoves goin at anyone time.This year going to shoot for 30.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10-15, I'd like to cut at least double or triple that but I don't have the time.

I maybe burn 1 cord a year for heat. That's the "uglies". Then in the summer I may burn 1-2 cords in campfires. I sell the rest.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over 16 I would guess I burn a few and help my niece's husband and my older neighbors get wood in I've got a great neighbor who brings beer and his new splitter so I never had to get a splitter.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We get a lot of firewood waste cutting logs into billets for railway timber. It's all about recovery nothing is wasted even the sawdust from the mill gets sold....Most year's all the firewood has been sold before the end of winter.
If I had a choice would I cut firewood? that would be hell no! its bloody hard work but its part of the job and has to be done everyday to keep on top of it. we usually hire a fit young guy to run the wood splitter when the pile of rounds gets big enough it's a bit like groundhog day ha.

View attachment 6404 View attachment 6406

Bloody hell mate, where are you located?
That would be a wonderful sight to back the trailer up to!

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. I am picturing it.
Is that like a standard size stack?
I see a lot of pics of split wood stacked in neat piles with a slab on top to keep the snow off.
4' wide, 4' high, 8' long

am I close?
You got it. 4 ft x4 ft x 8ft=128 cubic feet.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Basically a plywood sheet tall and a plywood sheet deep. Am I right?