Price for a Stihl 056 AV?

JedediahJake

OPE Member
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning all. Brand new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting properly.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Stihl 056 AV and I would like some advice on a proper price. My neighbor's dad passed away last year and it was his saw. My neighbor is a good dude, so I don't expect any slight of hand, but I would still like to know what to look for, etc. when examining the saw. I haven't had my eyes on it yet, he should be bringing it over from the family farm in a week or so. It is my understanding it runs well, etc. Also...it may be a Mag II, but he wasn't sure...how can I tell if it is or not?

I'm not a newbie to chainsaws, but I am new to big saws. I have a Stihl 461 with a 36" bar I picked up a couple years ago and started milling my own oak since I had so much big oak dying on my property. The intent of the 056 would be to utilize it for milling. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a great saw for that, but would like your opinions on it as well.

Thank you for you time and thank you for having this forum available. Sincerely appreciated.

Blessings,
-Jake

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Start it up and let it get hot, if it dies and loses spark chances are the coil is bad, they’re kind of weak and not available new, depending which coil it is it can be fixed though. Other than that the mag II should have a triple port muffler I believe, best way to tell would be measure the bore being as a muffler isn’t hard to swap and with older saws it’s fair to say a lot of parts have been changed over their lifetime. If it’s all good and in decent shape, I would personally pay $3-400

JedediahJake

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, thank you, really appreciate it.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the pleasure of knowing and old man that recently passed. He spent his life in the woods. He swore by the 056, said it was the best saw ever built.

BrettL

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's in decent shape, $300 minimum. I was offered $300 sight unseen for mine. It runs but I haven't enough with it to know how it performs at temp. I'm tempted to use mine in a chainsaw mill. I live in the city though so I need to find a partner that has property to do it on.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I paid $250 plus about $40 shipping for an 056Super last year. It needed some work but was functional in fair condition. Personally, I wouldn’t pay more than that. It lacks a lot of stuff that make modern saws so good. It’s slow, heavy, bad AV, no chain brake, harder to work on or source parts etc. They’re cool saws, but they’re relics.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning all. Brand new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting properly.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Stihl 056 AV and I would like some advice on a proper price. My neighbor's dad passed away last year and it was his saw. My neighbor is a good dude, so I don't expect any slight of hand, but I would still like to know what to look for, etc. when examining the saw. I haven't had my eyes on it yet, he should be bringing it over from the family farm in a week or so. It is my understanding it runs well, etc. Also...it may be a Mag II, but he wasn't sure...how can I tell if it is or not?

I'm not a newbie to chainsaws, but I am new to big saws. I have a Stihl 461 with a 36" bar I picked up a couple years ago and started milling my own oak since I had so much big oak dying on my property. The intent of the 056 would be to utilize it for milling. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a great saw for that, but would like your opinions on it as well.

Thank you for you time and thank you for having this forum available. Sincerely appreciated.

Blessings,
-Jake
The serial # is on the Clutch side of case above where the saw chain comes off of the clutch I some serial #s' were 7 digit and they willl be a 056 or 045. 9 digits that start under are 113 xxx xxx usually 056 at 52 mm bore and cylinders are interchangeable for the 52 mm and 54 mm so pig in the poke ordeal. If the serial stars 114 xxx xxx I have yet to find it NOT to be a Magnum It will be a Magnum 114 xxx xxx or 115xxx xxx or 119 xxx xxx and 1220 xxx xxx You get the idea. If it is a magnum it should have the SEM Ig and new after market coils are available now AND I haven't heard any bad issues. PM getting sent

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The serial # is on the Clutch side of case above where the saw chain comes off of the clutch I some serial #s' were 7 digit and they willl be a 056 or 045. 9 digits that start under are 113 xxx xxx usually 056 at 52 mm bore and cylinders are interchangeable for the 52 mm and 54 mm so pig in the poke ordeal. If the serial stars 114 xxx xxx I have yet to find it NOT to be a Magnum It will be a Magnum 114 xxx xxx or 115xxx xxx or 119 xxx xxx and 1220 xxx xxx You get the idea. If it is a magnum it should have the SEM Ig and new after market coils are available now AND I haven't heard any bad issues. PM getting sent
Edit: 1220 meant to be 120 xxx xxx