High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one F and you are ineligible....supposedly

There is a combination of not turning stuff in and not studying for tests. When he does his work, he does pretty good. It is not a matter of can’t, it’s a matter of won’t.
Time have changed any class below a 2.0 or a C and you where done .

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one F and you are ineligible....supposedly

There is a combination of not turning stuff in and not studying for tests. When he does his work, he does pretty good. It is not a matter of can’t, it’s a matter of won’t.
He likes basketball...

Leverage....

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spotted at Jeff’s:

4e080f8aa411081575a8c43c60f60e5e.jpg

One doesn’t see a ‘nanna handle PM6 often.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't give much advice about the grades, because I barely graduated high school myself. The only thing I was good at was math. Everything else was a struggle, other than the "gimme's" like Art, shop, PE, weightlifting and those types of classes. Honestly though, I just hated school, and knew I was never going to go to college, so good grades never really mattered to me. Every year I got my last report card, the first thing I looked at was "Next Grade" to make sure I wasn't getting held back. Ironically, I'm doing better than alot of classmates that did go to school. I'm not rich, but I own my own home and have been debt free since I was 34.

I know this may not be what you want to hear Mr. Hinerman, but maybe school just isn't in the cards for him. I don't know how old the young man is, but if he doesn't have any interests that could be career starters, such as working on vehicles, carpentry, building anything, welding, or any trade, maybe try to get him interested in something like that.

Don't know if any of this mumbo jumbo makes sense or helps or not, but he sounds alot like I was. My dad and mom and grandparents and aunts, tried for years to get me to do good in school and it just never took. I just never wanted to put in the effort. When I tried, I did good, but I just didn't put in the effort unless I had to.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't give much advice about the grades, because I barely graduated high school myself. The only thing I was good at was math. Everything else was a struggle, other than the "gimme's" like Art, shop, PE, weightlifting and those types of classes. Honestly though, I just hated school, and knew I was never going to go to college, so good grades never really mattered to me. Every year I got my last report card, the first thing I looked at was "Next Grade" to make sure I wasn't getting held back. Ironically, I'm doing better than alot of classmates that did go to school. I'm not rich, but I own my own home and have been debt free since I was 34.

I know this may not be what you want to hear Mr. Hinerman, but maybe school just isn't in the cards for him. I don't know how old the young man is, but if he doesn't have any interests that could be career starters, such as working on vehicles, carpentry, building anything, welding, or any trade, maybe try to get him interested in something like that.

Don't know if any of this mumbo jumbo makes sense or helps or not, but he sounds alot like I was. My dad and mom and grandparents and aunts, tried for years to get me to do good in school and it just never took. I just never wanted to put in the effort. When I tried, I did good, but I just didn't put in the effort unless I had to.
We need good ppl in trades. It is a dying art. Everybody wants college but at the end of the day there has to be ppl to build and maintain things. I didnt go to college barely made it thru high school. Hated school for the same reasons. I didnt plan on going to college. Dad taught me to weld at 9yrs old. And last week at 31 I just accepted a journeyman welder mechanic position that has been tring to be filled for 4 yrs that comes with a salary better than most lawyers. The work is there if ppl want it. He just needs to find his passion and pursue it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We need good ppl in trades. It is a dying art. Everybody wants college but at the end of the day there has to be ppl to build and maintain things. I didnt go to college barely made it thru high school. Hated school for the same reasons. I didnt plan on going to college. Dad taught me to weld at 9yrs old. And last week at 31 I just accepted a journeyman welder mechanic position that has been tring to be filled for 4 yrs that comes with a salary better than most lawyers. The work is there if ppl want it. He just needs to find his passion and pursue it

You're right. For years, people pushed college, because it was being sold as the only way to,"make it" in the world. There are careers out there, where a college degree is a must, and the jobs pay good, and there's companies hiring, but the reality is, college has become a business. They are selling a dream that isn't always realized and locks KIDS into tens of thousands of student loans, that cripple them for a good portion of their lives. The parents that pushed this, were raised by parents that lived through the depression, so they knew how tough things could be, and they didn't want their kids to go through that.

We are running into that out here. All these small towns are dying off, because parents pushed their kids to go to college and get a job somewhere else, because "there's nothing out here", and now here we are 25-30 years later and the same people are complaining because there's no one out here to fill jobs, and no kids to fill the schools.

I've told people for almost 2 decades now, you don't have to be smart to make it in this world, you just have to want to work hard.........I'm proof of that. I have got to a point in my life however, where I want to learn as much as I can about everything I can, so I'm not a dummy, per se', but I can guarantee hard work got me further than anything, along with a little bit of common sense.

Congrats on the job man! I have a buddy who's a travelling pipe welder, who's in his 20's and he makes damn good money! Welders seem to be in high demand.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're right. For years, people pushed college, because it was being sold as the only way to,"make it" in the world. There are careers out there, where a college degree is a must, and the jobs pay good, and there's companies hiring, but the reality is, college has become a business. They are selling a dream that isn't always realized and locks KIDS into tens of thousands of student loans, that cripple them for a good portion of their lives. The parents that pushed this, were raised by parents that lived through the depression, so they knew how tough things could be, and they didn't want their kids to go through that.

We are running into that out here. All these small towns are dying off, because parents pushed their kids to go to college and get a job somewhere else, because "there's nothing out here", and now here we are 25-30 years later and the same people are complaining because there's no one out here to fill jobs, and no kids to fill the schools.

I've told people for almost 2 decades now, you don't have to be smart to make it in this world, you just have to want to work hard.........I'm proof of that. I have got to a point in my life however, where I want to learn as much as I can about everything I can, so I'm not a dummy, per se', but I can guarantee hard work got me further than anything, along with a little bit of common sense.

Congrats on the job man! I have a buddy who's a travelling pipe welder, who's in his 20's and he makes damn good money! Welders seem to be in high demand.
Yes they are especially high pressure pipe and tube welders who can do xray quality. 3 yrs ago I would have never dreamed of making this kind of money. It took hard work determination and patience to move up thru the ranks. I didnt have a degree so I got overlooked at first but after they worked with me for a bit I got the opportunity to prove myself and passed the test. And good painters are the same as welders. $20-40/hr and still cant find ppl who will show up to paint. It's crazy! I can remember thinkn 15 was great money that I'd prlly never see.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anybody has any advice I could sure use it. Been fighting with Sam about his grades for several years now. Nothing I do or say makes a difference.

View attachment 207722
Wasnt sure i was gonna gradjat high school. I was totally bored. Old teachers who didnt care, what i considered useless classes, plus i knew i wasnt going to college. Joined marines right out of high school. Got out and worked at whirlpool in ft smith. Got laid off around thanksgiving. Was tired working nasty jobs for low wages and was eligible for GI bill so went to college and gradjated with degree in civil engineering. Retired couple years ago.
Like was said earlier trades are also a good way to go.
You can fuss and fight all you want but the desire to prepare for what he’s gonna support himself with has to come from within.
You sure he's not learning disabled?
You might let him quit school and get a dirty, nasty crap job where they treat him like crap and no benefits and let him contribute to the family kitty out of his salary.
All you can do is all you can do. He gets to live with his actions. I used to “grade” some of my daughters homework.
Glad i dont have school age kids anymore. Blessings on you

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes they are especially high pressure pipe and tube welders who can do xray quality. 3 yrs ago I would have never dreamed of making this kind of money. It took hard work determination and patience to move up thru the ranks. I didnt have a degree so I got overlooked at first but after they worked with me for a bit I got the opportunity to prove myself and passed the test. And good painters are the same as welders. $20-40/hr and still cant find ppl who will show up to paint. It's crazy! I can remember thinkn 15 was great money that I'd prlly never see.

Dang, maybe I'll have to look into painting on the side too! Lol! Seriously though, I hope you continue to have success! Good job man!

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang, maybe I'll have to look into painting on the side too! Lol! Seriously though, I hope you continue to have success! Good job man!
It took God opening several doors over several years to put me where I'm at now. Wouldn't have happened any other way. Very blessed to say the least.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember when I was about 12 it was then I started getting interested in things mechanical in nature. My parents were continually amazed, and frustrated, at what I would take apart. I can't tell you how many times I took my bicycle down to its atoms and would put it back together again. And still be able to ride it again afterward.
Now, I get my mechanical nature from my father. He did the majority of our repairs, whether around the house, or on our vehicles. But he didn't have any education in these things. He was a salesman for our living. He sold railroad machine tools. 2 of his many customers I'm sure most everybody's heard of.
Santa Fe and Burlington Northern. He learned from the University of Hard Knocks. Reading books and manuals and learning from mistakes.
He put my older brother and sister through college. Both at Kansas State University. My brother went through their school of Architecture. My sister, who switched majors like clothes, got her degree in criminology.
My brother did many things in his life. He owned a Sonic Resteraunt for a few years. He owned another fast food place for a few years after that. Mostly, though, he worked for different grocery chains as a produce department manager. But he was never once an Architect.
My sister did wonderful things with with her degree in criminology. She was a housewife for a number of years. Then she was a Head start teacher. Then she was a receptionist for a dentist.
I don't know how much my parents paid for my brother's or sisters education.
But I know how much they spent on mine. My 2 years of Votech cost them $140 a year. My dorm cost them $900 the first year. The second year I rented a 1 bedroom house for $140 a month that I paid for. My first year I went to school from 7am to 1pm then after school I delivered paint products for my Uncle's house paint store to painters in Salina, KS. My second year I went from 7am to 12pm and went to work at Montgomery Ward in there auto shop from 1pm to 9pm 6 days a week.
I graduated one of the top in my class. Not a big deal, considering there were about 30 in my class. But I spent the next 25 years in the automotive industry.
One of the things I was taught at Votech was that just because I was trained as a car mechanic, I didn't have to stay an auto mechanic. They gave me skills and knowledge that could transfer to many different industries. I got into my current profession 20 years ago using my knowledge of automotive air conditioning. Building and industrial air conditioning. Building maintenance.
Sawnami will tell you he can't find enough good qualified auto technicians.
Kenneth and Chet will tell you they can't find enough young people to learn how to build and maintain elevators.
All this is very true.
Rough hands and elbow grease is what built, and runs, this country.
College has its place, and is needed.
I didn't figure out until my senior year in high school that mechanics was where I would be good at. My high school had a 2 year automotive shop. They had a metal shop and a wood shop. Where I live now, the high school has a wood shop where they can teach you how to make a bird house. But they can't teach you how to balance a check book.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He likes basketball...

Leverage....

I am trying not to take the one thing in his life, that he really loves, away from him. A couple years ago he had an F and I left him at home and went to his AAU tournament without him. It DID work. He worked hard and got his grades up, by the end of the semester they were going back down.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did real good just to graduate high school. Later in life stuff started clicking with me, like Algebra and Geometry. Now I look at math as a game of theories and at times it can be really intriguing. I was terrible at history and English. Especially grammar. Now, at this point in my life, I find everything about history is interesting. I'm always reading something, or looking something up, that has to do with history. When I was in school the only thing I didn't struggle with was Auto Mechanics. Aced that stuff no problem.

Thomas I was the same way as same but in different classes. If I wasn’t interested I didn’t care. I don’t think you saying or doing anything is actually going to help he needs to find his way on his own. Maybe give the teachers a call and see what they say. Like matt said if he’s not interested he won’t do well. Maybe the teachers in the other classes need to try to gain his attention. As it is their job

Wrong choices of Free Will have consequences.

He likes basketball...

Leverage....

Wasnt sure i was gonna gradjat high school. I was totally bored. Old teachers who didnt care, what i considered useless classes, plus i knew i wasnt going to college. Joined marines right out of high school. Got out and worked at whirlpool in ft smith. Got laid off around thanksgiving. Was tired working nasty jobs for low wages and was eligible for GI bill so went to college and gradjated with degree in civil engineering. Retired couple years ago.
Like was said earlier trades are also a good way to go.
You can fuss and fight all you want but the desire to prepare for what he’s gonna support himself with has to come from within.
You sure he's not learning disabled?
You might let him quit school and get a dirty, nasty crap job where they treat him like crap and no benefits and let him contribute to the family kitty out of his salary.
All you can do is all you can do. He gets to live with his actions. I used to “grade” some of my daughters homework.
Glad i dont have school age kids anymore. Blessings on you

I remember when I was about 12 it was then I started getting interested in things mechanical in nature. My parents were continually amazed, and frustrated, at what I would take apart. I can't tell you how many times I took my bicycle down to its atoms and would put it back together again. And still be able to ride it again afterward.
Now, I get my mechanical nature from my father. He did the majority of our repairs, whether around the house, or on our vehicles. But he didn't have any education in these things. He was a salesman for our living. He sold railroad machine tools. 2 of his many customers I'm sure most everybody's heard of.
Santa Fe and Burlington Northern. He learned from the University of Hard Knocks. Reading books and manuals and learning from mistakes.
He put my older brother and sister through college. Both at Kansas State University. My brother went through their school of Architecture. My sister, who switched majors like clothes, got her degree in criminology.
My brother did many things in his life. He owned a Sonic Resteraunt for a few years. He owned another fast food place for a few years after that. Mostly, though, he worked for different grocery chains as a produce department manager. But he was never once an Architect.
My sister did wonderful things with with her degree in criminology. She was a housewife for a number of years. Then she was a Head start teacher. Then she was a receptionist for a dentist.
I don't know how much my parents paid for my brother's or sisters education.
But I know how much they spent on mine. My 2 years of Votech cost them $140 a year. My dorm cost them $900 the first year. The second year I rented a 1 bedroom house for $140 a month that I paid for. My first year I went to school from 7am to 1pm then after school I delivered paint products for my Uncle's house paint store to painters in Salina, KS. My second year I went from 7am to 12pm and went to work at Montgomery Ward in there auto shop from 1pm to 9pm 6 days a week.
I graduated one of the top in my class. Not a big deal, considering there were about 30 in my class. But I spent the next 25 years in the automotive industry.
One of the things I was taught at Votech was that just because I was trained as a car mechanic, I didn't have to stay an auto mechanic. They gave me skills and knowledge that could transfer to many different industries. I got into my current profession 20 years ago using my knowledge of automotive air conditioning. Building and industrial air conditioning. Building maintenance.
Sawnami will tell you he can't find enough good qualified auto technicians.
Kenneth and Chet will tell you they can't find enough young people to learn how to build and maintain elevators.
All this is very true.
Rough hands and elbow grease is what built, and runs, this country.
College has its place, and is needed.
I didn't figure out until my senior year in high school that mechanics was where I would be good at. My high school had a 2 year automotive shop. They had a metal shop and a wood shop. Where I live now, the high school has a wood shop where they can teach you how to make a bird house. But they can't teach you how to balance a check book.

Lots of good advice and wisdom from you guys. Thank you for your responses. All I want is for him to do his best and be all he wants to be.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have talked to him about going to Vo-tech while in HS; I would love for him to do it. He didn't seem too interested at first but he told me he is thinking about it. He has a friend whose dad is a plumber with his own plumbing company and does extremely well....so Sam sees what knowing a trade can mean.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of good advice and wisdom from you guys. Thank you for your responses. All I want is for him to do his best and be all he wants to be.
As a father, that's all you can really do.
He'll turn out fine. I have no doubt about that.
He has a good example to turn to and follow.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have talked to him about going to Vo-tech while in HS; I would love for him to do it. He didn't seem too interested at first but he told me he is thinking about it. He has a friend whose dad is a plumber with his own plumbing company and does extremely well....so Sam sees what knowing a trade can mean.

That's good he's thinking about it. Trades are a great way to become a business owner, which in turn means freedom. I wish him all the best!