High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody try those headlight restoration kits? Do they work? Does it last very long after restoration?

Depends on the kit and how much effort you put in. I’ve don’t a few that turns out good and they’re still going clear. It takes a couple years to get back to yellow and real dingy seems like. On the older vehicles I just buy replacements on Amazon

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the kit and how much effort you put in. I’ve don’t a few that turns out good and they’re still going clear. It takes a couple years to get back to yellow and real dingy seems like. On the older vehicles I just buy replacements on Amazon
This method works best. ^^^

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a kit from O'Reilly's. I think it was Mcguires. It had a Velcro pad that had, I think, 3 different grit stick on discs and a plastic polishing compound to finish it up. I did 7 different vehicles with it and got pretty good results. Good enough to make it worthwhile.
With that being said, I think that It's a temporary fix, though. I eventually replaced all but one vehicles headlights with units I got off of eBay. Prices varied widely. My 89 F150 was about $75 each while my 2002 F150 was about $25 each with the others falling somewhere in between.
I try to buy from local suppliers most of the time but new headlight assemblies were astronomical in price. IFIRC, my 2002 headlights would have been close to $100 each.
It pays to research.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the process of replacing shocks on my wife's truck. Local parts house starts at $50 each up to $75 each. Got a pair on line for $30. $30 for 2 shocks. Gas charged heavy duty shocks.
I'm going to turn into my salesman mode for a bit, so bear with me.
Granted, I've been out of the automotive Buisness for 15 years but the knowledge is still basically the same.
Most shock absorbers, from the factory, have a 1 inch piston assembly and have a general life span of 20k miles. Aftermarket shocks generally are listed as "heavy duty" , and have a 1 3/16 inch piston. Some pick up truck shocks can go up to 1 3/8 pistons. The pistons have a series of valves built into them. This allows the fluid to move from one side of the piston to the other. The more valving, the smoother the ride and the faster response time.
Gas charged shocks are filled with pressurised nitrogen. Generally from 100 to 200 psi. The reason for pressurised nitrogen is this. Old time shocks had air in them. Air mixes with the oil and foams making the shocks less effective. Nitrogen won't mix and cause foam. Thus doing a better job of controlling.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Test time.

What is the purpose of the shock absorber or strut shock in the suspension of the car/truck?

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody try those headlight restoration kits? Do they work? Does it last very long after restoration?
Headlight restores are an upsell at work. They turn out amazingly good. The secret to longevity is the sealant coating that's used when you're done. I just buff mine with plain old polish and a 3" detail buffer about twice a year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When a tire hits a bump, the spring will flex which allows the suspension to compress.
The shock dampens the response of the spring so it will not over travel and will keep the tire in contact with the road.
Exactly right.
They are to keep the tire in contact with the road and dampen spring ossilation.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2719b5c6be55375376bd5ef51758eb7a.jpg

I tried yesterday and today again to get Robert on the phone with no luck.

He either responds by Wednesday or it goes on C’list.

We will not suffer fools. [emoji2955]