HOMELITE Homelite Thread

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks sweep. Makes better sense now. I must have a frank insane cause the throttle is older version with multiple holes. You mentioned an ipl for the xl120. Do you have one you could send?

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its the governor. The air vane moves the throttle. The tiny spring connects to the throttle linkage and the two screw bracket adjusts the speed. Since this type of saw might spend a fair amount of time running with no load, it needs the speed control to hold the max rpm down.

Its similar to the XLBC Brush Cutter but that uses a long throttle cable, not the trigger the circular saw uses. Here is the IPL for the XL-120, it has the governor parts shown. The XLBC throttle closes the throttle via a spring when it is released, the cable is not connected to the carburetor when the trigger is pulled. I don't know if the XL-120 works the same, allowing the governor full control of the engine speed when under load. I have never seen a Homelite circular saw in the flesh, either XL-100 or XL-120. Leon has the IPL for both but the governor parts are only listed on the XL-120.

View attachment 241716 View attachment 241717
Thanks. My throttle rod from the trigger is totally different and can be hooked into the carb linkage but wasn’t; was placed atop the carb linkage. Can’t really tell from your pic how the trigger rod is connected to the linkage. Can you send a pic of that connection? Also thanks for the ipl. Not convinced yet that mine isn’t a cobbled together mess but it did run, poorly. Gonna rebuild the carb. another question if you will. When running it smoked heavily no matter how the lo/hi screws were adjusted. What gives?

sweepleader

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think pursuing two threads with these XL-100 problems is really the best way to deal with them. Please see my responses in the House of Homelite. I had thought there may be others here who know more about this governor thing . You are of course free to copy and paste from your duplicate thread over there: https://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/9588/xl-100-circular

Last edited:

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Super XL Automatic on hand right now with an extremely leaky fuel cap; it appears to be coming from the sintered metal vent. Can anyone point me in a direction to correct this?

This is not the particular cap in question but I hope it illustrates the point. The actual leaker is black and has the chain tether in the tank.

20200623_103648-jpg.837924

If it were a McCulloch fuel cap I would know what to do but this one is unfamiliar to me.

Mark

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually requires alot more pry , or just right before I stab myself in the finger with a tiny screwdriver.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Super XL Automatic on hand right now with an extremely leaky fuel cap; it appears to be coming from the sintered metal vent. Can anyone point me in a direction to correct this?

This is not the particular cap in question but I hope it illustrates the point. The actual leaker is black and has the chain tether in the tank.

20200623_103648-jpg.837924

If it were a McCulloch fuel cap I would know what to do but this one is unfamiliar to me.

Mark
If I remember correctly there is a duckbill valve behind the sintered breather. Pull the sintered out wth a pick. if I don’t remember correctly never mind

Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks men, I will try to attack it tomorrow.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of duck bills.I have a Lauson carb that came on a 95 cc Sears gear drive .I managed to blow one of the duckbill checks out in my garage never to be seen again .That design used duck bills instead flappers like a Tillotson .Of course I didn't know that at the time --oops .That might be the ticket for that carb .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got seals done now have other issues

Anyone know what these are f0r? Searched in my homelite shop service manuals and the saw ipl to no avil

1. This is mounted on a hinge on the air box and is actuated by the connector shown in the 2nd pic that is connected to the throttle shaft, 3rd pic. It "opens" and "closes" as the throttle is opened/closed.

View attachment 241702

View attachment 241704

View attachment 241705
2. This has a spring mounted to it that is also connected to the throttle . Seems to be in addition to the trigger spring to close the throttle.

View attachment 241706

I can't see where either of these are even useful but what do i know?

any help appreciated.

Its the governor. The air vane moves the throttle. The tiny spring connects to the throttle linkage and the two screw bracket adjusts the speed. Since this type of saw might spend a fair amount of time running with no load, it needs the speed control to hold the max rpm down.

Its similar to the XLBC Brush Cutter but that uses a long throttle cable, not the trigger the circular saw uses. Here is the IPL for the XL-120, it has the governor parts shown. The XLBC throttle closes the throttle via a spring when it is released, the cable is not connected to the carburetor when the trigger is pulled. I don't know if the XL-120 works the same, allowing the governor full control of the engine speed when under load. I have never seen a Homelite circular saw in the flesh, either XL-100 or XL-120. Leon has the IPL for both but the governor parts are only listed on the XL-120.

View attachment 241716 View attachment 241717

Having a look at the 4th Ed manual, the air vane governor was also fitted to later XL-100 saws

Have a look Jerry.

upload_2020-6-28_20-13-41.png

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, finally got it differed out with help from others. Figured it might be a retrofit. You may have verified that. Runs good

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E72C3CED-3A69-486C-B81A-3A58BCAFB25B.jpeg BF58A723-0C7F-403C-AD6B-E6DFDE3FC00F.jpeg Got this back together today. RedKote inside of fuel tank with some rust problems, dip carb parts in Berryman Chem-Dip, & put new carb kit in. Starts easy, runs well, & pumps like it thinks it’s a firetruck. Think it may be around 1989 manufacture by some numbering.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try this for serial numbers. UT numbers will be model specific.

Attachments

• Serial Numbers.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 7