HELP! Home made wood splitter

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So guys, I,m looking for some advise on this wood splitter on 3bay.. it’s very homemade. The asking price is “buy it now” $508.00

The engine is a kabota 3.5hp

Now I,m definitely not paying that price for something I could knock up with some of the junk I’ve got laying around.

So my question is….. how well would you think this would work and would it be worth me knocking a similar one up ?

Cheers

IMG_4055.jpegIMG_4054.jpegIMG_4053.png

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The link to the 3bay item

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That type of splitter was available around here many years ago. Sold as an attachment for your car or truck. Jack up and remove one drive wheel and bolt the attachment on in place of the wheel. Start up the vehicle, put it in gear and go for it.
They worked I guess, but where kind of dangerous. You had to push your piece of wood onto this pointed, spinning piece of steel and get out of the way as it jammed itself against the ground and was split open by the screw.
Lots of opportunity to slip and get your gloved hand caught in the screw or have the chunk of wood slip free of the ground and spin around wildly on the end of the screw until you get the vehicle shut down.
With that little engine mounted on a table like that, you are only going to be splitting kindling .
Much better and safer options out there.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That type of splitter was available around here many years ago. Sold as an attachment for your car or truck. Jack up and remove one drive wheel and bolt the attachment on in place of the wheel. Start up the vehicle, put it in gear and go for it.
They worked I guess, but where kind of dangerous. You had to push your piece of wood onto this pointed, spinning piece of steel and get out of the way as it jammed itself against the ground and was split open by the screw.
Lots of opportunity to slip and get your gloved hand caught in the screw or have the chunk of wood slip free of the ground and spin around wildly on the end of the screw until you get the vehicle shut down.
With that little engine mounted on a table like that, you are only going to be splitting kindling .
Much better and safer options out there.
Some guys have no sense of adventure 😆.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL.
Yes, as I get older I seem to be getting to be more of a fuddy-duddy.
But, scars are tattoos with a story to tell.
I carry a few stories around with me.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found one of these screws that attaches to a hand-held drill/hammer.
Now THERE is some adventure to be had!
I can't get the link to work, but it is sold by Temu.

Kelly Dodge

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So guys, I,m looking for some advise on this wood splitter on 3bay.. it’s very homemade. The asking price is “buy it now” $508.00

The engine is a kabota 3.5hp

Now I,m definitely not paying that price for something I could knock up with some of the junk I’ve got laying around.

So my question is….. how well would you think this would work and would it be worth me knocking a similar one up ?

Cheers

View attachment 401730View attachment 401731View attachment 401732
I think it’s easier to use a splitting maul and then the bigger wood just rip it .

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes I already have one of them 🙄, it kinda works but,,, as you said it gets jammed and either,, the drill tries to twist your arm off, or the little log smacks you in the ankle 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I saw a tractor pto mounted version in a vid. It seemed to work, ie you pushed while the log was standing up on the table and the table stopped it from trying to spin around.

I would only be doing small stuff.

I don’t have the need for a $1000 + log splitter and an electric one would just mean getting out a generator as I don’t have mains power where I would be splitting

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with that design and a direct drive from a small engine if you stalled it you'd have a hell of a time backing off the screw . Chances are if it was a knotty piece like a fork in the piece you would stall it .A large cone with a PTO or axle drive would have a hard time stalling with about 20 plus HP and a gear reduction .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all depends on several factors .First the desire to build it ,a persons mechanical skills and creativety .Normally on a used splitter wait until about late Febuary and look on Craigslist for bargains .This is approaching tax time and the Christmas bills are arriving .Pay no attention to the asking price because it will be high .They will take less .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually on a used splitter it's one of three things.Blown engine .faulty control valve leaky rod seals .They are selling it because it doesn't work and they are either too dumb or too lazy to repair it . Believe me I 've resurrected a lot of them and built several .The last repair job it cost me 50 bucks to buy a brush mower to snatch the 8 HP Briggs engine.Runs like a top .It's in my woods under a tarp because my bud who owns it lives in the hood and if so stored there it would not take long for the crack heads to steal it . .

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Normally on a used splitter wait until about late Febuary and look on Craigslist for bargains .This is approaching tax time and the Christmas bills are arriving .Pay no attention to the asking price because it will be high .They will take less .
Used to be that way, now more times than not, its just s bunch of stuff everyone thinks is worth a million dollars.
Not many good deals in your area, the best one I know of is in FT Wayne, 600 for a 22 ton huskee, looks a bit rough.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of truth in that .Which extends to more than just old splitters .However like most things if you look hard enough eventually a genuine bargain will pop up . In my case as I've said before my time and knowledge are worth something because most times no matter what it may be it will require some work .Seems any more forum prices and flea bay aren't too far off from each other .Which I might add is why it takes me so long to rebuild an old chainsaw .Takes a long time to find parts at a reasonable price .Some think they have parts for a 1927 Rolls Royce or something .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What you might find on these old splitters is the engine flew apart or the control valve is inoperative .Many used an 8HP Briggs flat head engine which is governed at 3600 RPM's for a reason because at speeds near 4500 it will push the rod right out the front of the engine . The control valves often break a spring then somebody takes it apart but is too ignorant to put in back together correctly because they lost the parts .So my advice is if it doesn't work it's just used parts .

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a look at the two old lawnmower engines I had sitting around,nprolly for 5yrs 🙄

They got wet/damp un stuffs, corroded etc , one,s got its ht lead chewed, prolly rats 🤦‍♂️

I didn’t get very far in starting them 😴 lack of spark for a start … and that’s after I fannied with the starter so it rewinded.
Ffs its everything wrong with them ?.when i left them working 😫

Btw I’m on the lookout for something else a lot lot better while I still Fanny with these two silly engines.. as these engines are on suffok colt lawnmowers (75cc )from the 1950/60's

Attachments

• IMG_6720.jpeg
    IMG_6720.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 6

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a look at the two old lawnmower engines I had sitting around,nprolly for 5yrs 🙄

They got wet/damp un stuffs, corroded etc , one,s got its ht lead chewed, prolly rats 🤦‍♂️

I didn’t get very far in starting them 😴 lack of spark for a start … and that’s after I fannied with the starter so it rewinded.
Ffs its everything wrong with them ?.when i left them working 😫

Btw I’m on the lookout for something else a lot lot better while I still Fanny with these two silly engines.. as these engines are on suffok colt lawnmowers (75cc )from the 1950/60's
Put them online for sale, "ran great when they were put away, no lowballs, I know what I got":risas3:.
Maybe that will translate, maybe not, but stateside, everyone would know what this means, you think your crap is worth the price of gold per ounce lol.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, i picked up what you wrote down :squezer:

Now Get off my lawn ….. can’t you see I’m gonna mow it with this peice of junk. :risas3: