Diamond tipped chain sharpening disk

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the description says for carbide chains. I'm assuming that's pretty much fire/rescue chain btw. But, a good or bad idea for regular chain? I don't know enough to know, or, have anybody around to ask. The price is an eye opener. But, having it potentially the the same consistent size might be a plus when doing several of the same size? Do a bunch one side without having to adjust height? I don't know. Education can be expensive. I'm trying to cut down on cost.

20200509_131732.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Umm, I’d like to know as well, cos I’m learning un-stuffs

I’ve seen diamond coated files and spinny things that go in 12v hand grinders for chains... why aren’t they cbn o_O

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The material doing the work is Cubic Nitrate Boron- man made diamonds. depending on the wheel / mfg a convex shape is sometimes only plated on, there are some in a matrix - the matrix is the key to whether it can be used for steel or not. Marketing sections of companies general y seem to have little to no idea of what they are selling or specific use- so in the chainsaw world they all seemed to be called diamond wheels. Based on the retail price of an Oregon vitrified wheel ( apx $30 ea) vs apx $100 for a CBN wheel it would seem not so hot but in geneal the CBN will out last the vitrified by about a factor of 2 or more and sometimes you flip the wheel around to get some more life out of it depending on your use. The plated wheels can be re-plated saving the cost of the body- I do not have any pricing on that though.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a company here in Minnesota that sells many of these diamond and CBN wheels for chain sharpening.

They sell both, for about the same price, and go to great lengths to stress using diamond only for carbide cutters. Carbide is used on a variety of chains, including for 'regular' wood cutting.

https://www.diamondwheelinc.com/chain-saw-wheels.html

Philbert

Last edited:

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best example I can give is comparing grinding with a diamond wheel on non carbide would be using a rasp file on lead,
That's what I was figuring. But, I've also never had a diamond cutting anything to know.

How common/uncommon is carbide chain? Only reason I ask is where I live. I've never seen one.

P.s. What's CBN stand for?

Riftweaver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cubic Nitrate Boron is what CBN is for.

Without getting real technical is just like any machining. There is always a proper tool for any application. Just because a diamond tool is more expensive doesn't mean it's always the best tool for a certain application. Like @dahmer said above, when using a diamond on steel, it can cause the steel to tear and will also make a mess of the wheel.

I have CBN wheels and think they do a great job. That is just my $0.02 though. Possibly others have different input or experience. All of the CBN wheels I have seen for saw sharpeners come with a radius already applied. I like that idea because I don't have to dress my wheel frequently to keep that nice radius on it to get a good profile/cut application. I also use a knockoff version of the Oregon 511A with a standard wheel for cutting down the rakers on the chain. It keeps me from swapping wheels all the time.

Around here, I don't know of anyone that uses carbide tipped chains. I know they do have their use though. Maybe it's just personal preference.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How common/uncommon is carbide chain? Only reason I ask is where I live. I've never seen one.

Around here, I don't know of anyone that uses carbide tipped chains. I know they do have their use though. Maybe it's just personal preference.

As common as your local STIHL dealer:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rd3/
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/specialty-saw-chains/pd3/

Started a whole thread on this:
https://opeforum.com/threads/carbide-chains.5516/

Philbert

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I know its available at my dealer. I am just unaware if it's a thing used by personal preference or a fire/rescue chain. Our local fire departments are the only ones around here that use them good sir. Maybe for stumps and root balls as well? I'm not very knowledgeable on these. I do admit. That's why I probably seem to be asking some pretty basic questions in my assumption.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are these "all purpose" 14" diamond cut off saw wheels a no go for metals?
I've used them only for stone, but have some demo in the future.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are these "all purpose" 14" diamond cut off saw wheels a no go for metals?
I've used them only for stone, but have some demo in the future.
They’ll cut steel but it’s hard on them. Buy cheaper blades and let ‘er rip

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am just unaware if it's a thing used by personal preference or a fire/rescue chain.
Visit that thread. You will see several different types of fire and rescue chains, and how they are not good for firewood cutting.

Also, comments from forum members who have used other types of carbide chains for firewood, railroad ties, stumps, etc., and their experiences.

More expensive, harder to sharpen, cut slower, but a good choice for certain applications or situations.

Philbert

Last edited:

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
machining with diamond, cbn, or cbx. I n all 3 of these there are various grades of grit, and different Ratios of grit to maxtrix . your choice depends on the particular material to be machined, steels, ceramics, carbide- coolant or no coolant. Not unlike the choices in vitrified or resin bonded wheels. I use a lot of CBN wheels and Diamond wheels in my shop. As yet I have not tried the latest offering for chain saw sharpening- although I did 20 years ago- at that time I was not impressed and the wheels were significantly more expensive than now. Typical of new tech, CBX being the latest in this is about 25% more expensive- from what I have seen I am not enamored by it but when dealing with cnc and high part turn around I suppose it is acceptable. I do have new to me customers that have not liked the cbx finishes on their items.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I prefer the 'pink', vitrified wheels for chain grinding. But maybe the CBN wheels I got were not the best quality or the right grit / matrix combination (whatever @blades said) for saw chain. They do produce more dust though.

Philbert

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
carbide chains for firewood, railroad ties, stumps, etc., and their experiences.

More expensive, harder to sharpen, cut slower, but a good choice for certain applications or situations.

Philbert
Easy peasy6AD881A4-B281-42E9-B6B5-472A7CDB24D2.jpegC71BA613-5EFC-4AE0-A841-A316E32D100A.jpeg8A3D485D-8724-49FC-B585-00101E8A4C96.jpeg33FDB284-E47F-45CB-9793-AF79B40C2DA4.jpeg

Cuts just like sharp semi chisel