davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That "chip sweeper" mod with the safety chain is slick. I have always removed the humps completely, but it sure looks faster with the chips getting cleared and not under the rakers. Thumbs up.
Coincidentally, I have been testing it in felling situations where chip pileup is an issue, and it seems to work well.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That "chip sweeper" mod with the safety chain is slick. I have always removed the humps completely, but it sure looks faster with the chips getting cleared and not under the rakers. Thumbs up.
This is 3/8” low pro. The sweeper leaves the stump almost clean.

743E6B1C-9044-4C70-9EBF-7C1E81408F78.jpeg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m confused: what is the ‘chip sweeper mod’?

Thanks

Philbert

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are lots of options for chains:

Pitch - .325" is slightly smaller than 3/8 (technically .365"), so it takes more, smaller bites of the wood. This makes it smoother in smaller diameter wood.

Low Profile - 3/8 is available in low-profile versions (STIHL calls theirs 'Picco') which also take smaller bites of the wood, and let’s lower powered saws keep their revs up.

Narrow Kerf - narrow kerf chain takes thinner bites of the wood, and makes lower power saws cut like more powerful saws. There is narrow-kerf .325 chain, and now, narrow kerf AND low profile .325 (Oregon 'Nano') and 3/8 chain (Oregon Type 90, and others): this is being supplied on some of the newer battery powered saws.

Manufacturers generally choose what they think the best performing combination of drive sprocket, chain, and bar is for a saw. Users are free to change these. Just understand that the 'standard' parts will usually be easier to find down the road. 3/8 low profile, .325, and .325 narrow kerf chains are widely available.

I run .325 narrow kerf chain on a Husqvarna 353, which could pull standard .325. But that's what came with the saw, and I am really happy with the performance. I would be reluctant to put a low profile chain on that saw, because it is capable of running the larger format, and I would not be using the full potential of the saw.

Philbert
good referance