Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I first became aware of this plucky New Zealand guy in the 60's in Popular Mechanics magazine .Proving once again to never judge a book by it's cover nor is the genus of a mechanical wizard detained by lack of tools .
John Britten was another New Zealander that built a super bike in his garage and took on the world

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On this subject of hard cast iron I did some more reading .Regarding the fast Indian MC those were cast iron gas lines a half inch thick most likely much like our grey iron not the hot pour sewer pipes harder than twice hammered hell .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to carbide .I have a lathe boring bar with about 5- 6 inches of reach made from an insert drill bit used for boring wrist pin holes in automotive pistons. That bar is solid carbide that is not possible to bend . It runs on a Aloris type tool holder .I made all that stuff not unlike good ole Burt but I certainly have a better choice of methods than he had . I might mention I inherited some of my machinists tools that have been through four generations going back to my great grandfather who took a boat ride from England to Ellis Island the first decade of the last century .As for the ability to do it that was also inherited .It's in my genes evidently .

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to carbide .I have a lathe boring bar with about 5- 6 inches of reach made from an insert drill bit used for boring wrist pin holes in automotive pistons. That bar is solid carbide that is not possible to bend . It runs on a Aloris type tool holder .I made all that stuff not unlike good ole Burt but I certainly have a better choice of methods than he had . I might mention I inherited some of my machinists tools that have been through four generations going back to my great grandfather who took a boat ride from England to Ellis Island the first decade of the last century .As for the ability to do it that was also inherited .It's in my genes evidently .

Some people have it, some dont.
If you enjoy something its ususlly 10 times easier!

BlueBeast

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I finally got a chance to run it today. My $40 holzforma chains run circles around it as far as speed. For $80 ill just stick with my chinesium. When I finish the log that had all the nails ill give a try. I'm sure it has its uses, I just don't see milling being one of them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought as much!