High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

dead Ash trees

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is better to leave them standing or cut up in the wood pile? I have heard that they don't last long once they die, is that true? Thanks

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondering if it is better to leave them standing or cut up in the wood pile? I have heard that they don't last long once they die, is that true? Thanks
I leave them dead standing till i need them. The bush i cut at has had lots of dead standing ash for years and they are all fine.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knock them down as soon as I see them. Between fencing,crop fields and damage to the surrounding timber I get them out of the way. Helps I have a market for the firewood. They will get pithy after a few years. The branches make an absolute mess when they hit the ground. Little bits every where.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with @exSW, they will get pithy after a few years. There's usually still some good wood in them when they look pretty far gone, but if you've got a place to keep spilt firewood dry and off the ground, there's no question that that is the best location for it.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had someone say they rotted quick, thanks

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last couple of years we left them standing when someone ran out in the winter we would drop and split them but now then there is just so many i dont know how much longer they will be useable in years to come.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm about to cut all of mine, dad had some on his place that weren't worth squat after a few years.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, how goes the saw wars?

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Going real good, ran out of 50cc saws to sell. Gonna have to buy up some winter projects for next year.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently harvested a standing dead ash that was blown down by the wind. I imagine it had been standing dead for three to five years. Bark was loose and falling off. Ants had already started feasting on it all the way up to ten feet from the ground. After the tree fell, the grub worms left in the stump. I guess they had already invited the ants to take over.

I imagine about 90% of the wood was still usable for firewood and was hard as nails. It was all ready to burn after I split the big rounds. Very little was punky. It's excellent firewood in my book.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ants had already started feasting on it all the way up to ten feet from the ground. After the tree fell, the grub worms left in the stump. I guess they had already invited the ants to take over.
That's been my experience as well, multiple times.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the answers, sounds like a lot of Ash is going to go to waste near me, can only burn so much.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all of the answers, sounds like a lot of Ash is going to go to waste near me, can only burn so much.
You should try selling some. Thats what i am doing to clean it up.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it's decent size have it milled into lumber. When the beetles attack they only eat the outsize layer. Still a lot of good lumber in there.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry, just speaking in general about the amount that is dying, I only have 2 acres of almost woods.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's decent size have it milled into lumber. When the beetles attack they only eat the outsize layer. Still a lot of good lumber in there.

Some of the mills are taking it here. Seen a few loads going out.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never had a customer complain about any ash that I delivered. One time he had it confused with something else but heck, he didn't know what it was that he was complaining about. He says he loves burning walnut. Who doesn't?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got about 9 cords split and stacked this year .Probably 3 of that is dead ash either standing or wind blown under 12" in diameter .Half that was under 6'"and didn't need split. All that little wood was cut with an 024 Stihl,light and fast enough for that type stuff .
Usually on that stuff the roots fail then the wind gets it ,maybe 4- 6 years dead .It takes a long time for ash to get punky laying down .

I have no idea how long a large ash will stand .Eventually the wind gets the upper limbs first and I suppose in time will get the whole tree given enough time .

In the last several years I've saved the larger stuff for lumber logs and have 8 to 10 thousand BDF stacked up .Most are a tad over 16 feet and between 20 and 36" in diameter .Some of those were around 50 feet up to the first limb ,nice stuff .

You can always make firewood out of lumber logs .Once it's firewood you can't go the other way .