Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Son texted me earlier and said there were no snakes to eat at the swap meet. He said there was a large crowd and a lot of guns though.
He got 75 rounds of 300 Savage brass for $75

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the are part of the same family but no milk snake will eat a rattler.
True. People round here say don't kill black snakes cause they eat venomous snakes. They don't. They will even den with copperhead. King snakes will eat them though but you don't see many anymore. The ones here are mostly black with white markings.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a teacher, I am sure you never corrected anyone, right? Relax Bill.

I did not teach English, not once, never will.

When I started out I taught Agriculture/FFA which was animal science, plant science, horticulture, sales, business management, welding, mechanics, and the pesky thing called work place skills. The late nights and weekends of FFA took there toll and I was burned out.

I then switched to Industrial Arts where I taught hands on skills such as welding, cabinetmaking, electricity mechanics, and drafting. You know the skills that are in demand and allow folks to earn a living unlike an English degree. I cannot remember exactly how many students I had that are now electrical lineman but it is a bunch. I know of one in particular because I see him at Thanksgiving and Christmas since he is married to my only niece.

I was a oddball in the fact that I also taught one section of Physical Science. I have a passion for science and gave up my free period to teach it because it needed taught. The class was the sophomore level course designed to meet the second year of the two years of science graduation requirement. It was for the kids that were more than likely not going to go on to a 4 year college.

I was also stringent on math. All core subjects are important but dammit if you cannot do simple math you are destined for failure. I would get kids in that could not even read a tape measure let alone a micrometer. They could not add, subtract, or divide simple fractions. Every class I taught I required them to learn it. I admit some still struggled but at least there was progress. Each semester as teachers, we were required to give a final exam. Mine consisted of various components but one of which was all classes had to complete 150 math problems involving adding, subtracting, and dividing simple fractions. I am talking about the fractions that we actually use in industry not the BS taught else where. I could give two turds less if a kid can add 3/43 to 7/95. What they need to be able to do is add 1/8 to 7/16 and know it is 9/16.

Now as it relates to your comment regarding teaching and correcting English skills.

As a component of woodworking, cabinetmaking, welding and many others an essential portion is a bill of materials, cutting list, and plan of procedure. Those are written documents that serve as a foundation to begin a project. You know the old saying, plan your work then work your plan. The kids had to prepare these documents. I never once critiqued them on their spelling, punctuation, or grammar. The idea was for them to have a plan that could be followed, it was not to write a novel for a Pulitzer prize. I wanted to see their plan and their measurements not their grammar.

In the end they had to write a summary about their project. In the summary I asked them to discuss things such as what went well and what did not. I wanted to know what their biggest challenges were. I also wanted to know if they would change something now after completing it and suggestions for the future. In grading them I never once corrected them on any sort of an English error. I wanted to see that they were able to express in writing a summary of what they completed. If it made sense to me that was good enough.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

When I started out I taught Agriculture/FFA which was animal science, plant science, horticulture, sales, business management, welding, mechanics, and the pesky thing called work place skills. The late nights and weekends of FFA took there toll and I was burned out.

I then switched to Industrial Arts where I taught hands on skills such as welding, cabinetmaking, electricity mechanics, and drafting. You know the skills that are in demand and allow folks to earn a living unlike an English degree. I cannot remember exactly how many students I had that are now electrical lineman but it is a bunch. I know of one in particular because I see him at Thanksgiving and Christmas since he is married to my only niece.

I was a oddball in the fact that I also taught one section of Physical Science. I have a passion for science and gave up my free period to teach it because it needed taught. The class was the sophomore level course designed to meet the second year of the two years of science graduation requirement. It was for the kids that were more than likely not going to go on to a 4 year college.

I was also stringent on math. All core subjects are important but dammit if you cannot do simple math you are destined for failure. I would get kids in that could not even read a tape measure let alone a micrometer. They could not add, subtract, or divide simple fractions. Every class I taught I required them to learn it. I admit some still struggled but at least there was progress. Each semester as teachers, we were required to give a final exam. Mine consisted of various components but one of which was all classes had to complete 150 math problems involving adding, subtracting, and dividing simple fractions. I am talking about the fractions that we actually use in industry not the BS taught else where. I could give two turds less if a kid can add 3/43 to 7/95. What they need to be able to do is add 1/8 to 7/16 and know it is 9/16.

Now as it relates to your comment regarding teaching and correcting English skills.

As a component of woodworking, cabinetmaking, welding and many others an essential portion is a bill of materials, cutting list, and plan of procedure. Those are written documents that serve as a foundation to begin a project. You know the old saying, plan your work then work your plan. The kids had to prepare these documents. I never once critiqued them on their spelling, punctuation, or grammar. The idea was for them to have a plan that could be followed, it was not to write a novel for a Pulitzer prize. I wanted to see their plan and their measurements not their grammar.

In the end they had to write a summary about their project. In the summary I asked them to discuss things such as what went well and what did not. I wanted to know what their biggest challenges were. I also wanted to know if they would change something now after completing it and suggestions for the future. In grading them I never once corrected them on any sort of an English error. I wanted to see that they were able to express in writing a summary of what they completed. If it made sense to me that was good enough.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Where in Larry's post did he say you were an English teacher?

He made comment about you as a teacher, no specified subject, and you correcting someone.

You've been everywhere and done everything, yet reading comprehension escapes you.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True. People round here say don't kill black snakes cause they eat venomous snakes. They don't. They will even den with copperhead. King snakes will eat them though but you don't see many anymore. The ones here are mostly black with white markings.

I really know little about the different species we have here. We definitely have the two rattlesnakes I mentioned but in reality they are not real prevalent in day to day life. Of course there are garter snakes. Then we have bull snakes and black snakes but it is funny because they interbreed. The black snakes have bull snake marking under the black. There are supposed to be hog-nose ones here also but I think I have only killed one. There are water snakes but I will not guestimate the species. It is said there are cottonmouths here but I have only heard of one bite and I cannot confirm that.

I never knew of the small milk snakes until a few years ago. I have a feeling they are where the false rumor began many years ago about coral snakes here. Folks did not remember "red touch yellow, kill a fellow" and the milk snakes confused them.

Now the one I shake my head at is the idiots that say blue racer snakes are not in Illinois. They claim they are only west of the Mississippi River and cannot swim the river. Well I guess the bastards flew here then because they are here and have been her 46 years or more. In 1978 we were moving a large board pile that was in the way of a new shed. I think there were about 5 under the pile. They did not survive.

During the month of June 2000 we were slowly moving into this house. Each weekend we would move a little bit in. Well one weekend I was in the yard doing something and I heard my wife scream the most blood-curdling scream I had every heard. I ran to the backdoor and she was white as a ghost. All I got from her was "baaaaassseement" Now my mind went to dead body as our place has a bit of history on that. Took a look down the basement steps and right at the bottom in a small pool of water was two blue racers. I really did not have much her yet to kill them with and there was no way I was getting two anyway. I took the wheeler over to Dad's and got him and two ice choppers. We were able to get up on them and give them a "chop". We then spend the next few hours going through the basement. In the end we took out 11 blue racers. In the months after that I took out more. I laugh when folks tell me they do not exist in Illinois.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where in Larry's post did he say you were an English teacher?

He made comment about you as a teacher, no specified subject, and you correcting someone.

You've been everywhere and done everything, yet reading comprehension escapes you.

I can't even imagine the chapter & verse, reply that is being typed right now. :facepalm:

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really know little about the different species we have here. We definitely have the two rattlesnakes I mentioned but in reality they are not real prevalent in day to day life. Of course there are garter snakes. Then we have bull snakes and black snakes but it is funny because they interbreed. The black snakes have bull snake marking under the black. There are supposed to be hog-nose ones here also but I think I have only killed one. There are water snakes but I will not guestimate the species. It is said there are cottonmouths here but I have only heard of one bite and I cannot confirm that.

I never knew of the small milk snakes until a few years ago. I have a feeling they are where the false rumor began many years ago about coral snakes here. Folks did not remember "red touch yellow, kill a fellow" and the milk snakes confused them.

Now the one I shake my head at is the idiots that say blue racer snakes are not in Illinois. They claim they are only west of the Mississippi River and cannot swim the river. Well I guess the bastards flew here then because they are here and have been her 46 years or more. In 1978 we were moving a large board pile that was in the way of a new shed. I think there were about 5 under the pile. They did not survive.

During the month of June 2000 we were slowly moving into this house. Each weekend we would move a little bit in. Well one weekend I was in the yard doing something and I heard my wife scream the most blood-curdling scream I had every heard. I ran to the backdoor and she was white as a ghost. All I got from her was "baaaaassseement" Now my mind went to dead body as our place has a bit of history on that. Took a look down the basement steps and right at the bottom in a small pool of water was two blue racers. I really did not have much her yet to kill them with and there was no way I was getting two anyway. I took the wheeler over to Dad's and got him and two ice choppers. We were able to get up on them and give them a "chop". We then spend the next few hours going through the basement. In the end we took out 11 blue racers. In the months after that I took out more. I laugh when folks tell me they do not exist in Illinois.
We have timber rattlers and eastern diamond backs here. I have killed 2 in my life also 3 copperheads. There are coral snakes in the eastern part of the state. Cottonmouths are rare in my area but more common in the western part of the state. There are lots of nonvenomous snakes here. I'm not prejudice, I kill them all.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I also do not correct people on grammar or spelling. But if those kids wrote plywood instead of studs, I am sure you would have corrected it.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a first

No not really, I'm not a chatty cathy, the type to talk (type) endlessly about nothing just for the sake of saying something. I don't have a story for every occasion, I find people that do are annoying, and a PITA to deal with, or be around.