High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cylinder Plating by US Chrome - Where can I find a "dealer"?

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All -
I am a new member of this forum, but I have been working on engines since I was about ten years old. I I am an electronics engineer by day, but enjoy getting to work on engines in my off hours. Not everything that I fix is really "worth fixing" but I enjoy the challenge of getting a basket case running again.

As part of my current project, I am trying to get a scored cylinder re-plated. The trouble is that it is a blind bore and after having reached out to every Nikasil plating shop I can find, it appears that only US Chrome will do blind bores. Unfortunately, they are adamant that they will only talk to "dealers" and I can't find a list of dealers that they work with. I tried calling them and the lady I got on the phone was rather rude and would only say I should talk to "my local shop." This appears to be a new policy as I already reached out to Lee H on this forum and he was very helpful (thank you!) but said that he hadn't worked with US Chrome recently and hadn't had this problem in the past.

Has anyone here recently worked with US Chrome? If so, can you please recommend to me what "dealer" you worked with? Or better yet, maybe someone on this forum is a US Chrome dealer?

Finally, yes, I know that the plating will cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $250 -$350, and yes, I am more than happy to spend that much on this project.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew D'Asaro
www.dasarodesigns.com

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No help from me but your business is pretty neat. Nice website too.

What is your secret project? Inquiring minds must know! :D

And Welcome! :beer-toast1:

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All -
I am a new member of this forum, but I have been working on engines since I was about ten years old. I I am an electronics engineer by day, but enjoy getting to work on engines in my off hours. Not everything that I fix is really "worth fixing" but I enjoy the challenge of getting a basket case running again.

As part of my current project, I am trying to get a scored cylinder re-plated. The trouble is that it is a blind bore and after having reached out to every Nikasil plating shop I can find, it appears that only US Chrome will do blind bores. Unfortunately, they are adamant that they will only talk to "dealers" and I can't find a list of dealers that they work with. I tried calling them and the lady I got on the phone was rather rude and would only say I should talk to "my local shop." This appears to be a new policy as I already reached out to Lee H on this forum and he was very helpful (thank you!) but said that he hadn't worked with US Chrome recently and hadn't had this problem in the past.

Has anyone here recently worked with US Chrome? If so, can you please recommend to me what "dealer" you worked with? Or better yet, maybe someone on this forum is a US Chrome dealer?

Finally, yes, I know that the plating will cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $250 -$350, and yes, I am more than happy to spend that much on this project.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew D'Asaro
www.dasarodesigns.com
Perhaps there is more than one US Chrome? I didn't have to work through a dealer. I had them weld & re-nikasil a couple snowmobile jugs. The US Chrome I am referring to is in Fond du Lac, WI.

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies guys. The engine I am working on is an unknown vintage miniature 4-stroke that I got from a friend. The original failure was that the cam gear bearing seized and spun and threw a lot of metal debris into the works. I freed the seized bearing and then resurfaced it and the cam gear on my lathe. I then machined a new thrust bearing for it to replace this stupid little steel clip that was in there before and which had gotten shredded. I disassembled the whole engine, cleaned, and inspected everything and was pleased to find that the main bearings and and rod bearing are all just fine. The only remaining problem is a scored bore. After a ton of research on Google images, I managed to find another 38mm piston that will work (the original one is badly scored and needs to be replaced) and now I just need to get the bore plated and I should be good to go. I am sure it is not technically worth fixing, but I really want to make it run again. This is also going to serve as a "test case" if you will for me to see what the process and results are like for Nikasil plating. I am always looking for interesting repair processes that I can use in more "valuable" jobs.

Anyway, here is the US Chrome website:

https://www.usnicom.com/orderForm

Note the red letters: "RETAIL ORDERS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. PLEASE REACH OUT TO YOUR LOCAL POWERSPORTS REPAIR CENTER."

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks so much for the replies guys. The engine I am working on is an unknown vintage miniature 4-stroke that I got from a friend. The original failure was that the cam gear bearing seized and spun and threw a lot of metal debris into the works. I freed the seized bearing and then resurfaced it and the cam gear on my lathe. I then machined a new thrust bearing for it to replace this stupid little steel clip that was in there before and which had gotten shredded. I disassembled the whole engine, cleaned, and inspected everything and was pleased to find that the main bearings and and rod bearing are all just fine. The only remaining problem is a scored bore. After a ton of research on Google images, I managed to find another 38mm piston that will work (the original one is badly scored and needs to be replaced) and now I just need to get the bore plated and I should be good to go. I am sure it is not technically worth fixing, but I really want to make it run again. This is also going to serve as a "test case" if you will for me to see what the process and results are like for Nikasil plating. I am always looking for interesting repair processes that I can use in more "valuable" jobs.

Anyway, here is the US Chrome website:

https://www.usnicom.com/orderForm

Note the red letters: "RETAIL ORDERS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. PLEASE REACH OUT TO YOUR LOCAL POWERSPORTS REPAIR CENTER."

We need pics for sure!

SawNut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried Millennium Technologies? I've used them many times for snowmobile and PWC jugs. Testimonials on their site say they've done blind bores. Maybe call and ask nicely.

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks so much SawNut. I called them and they insisted that they can't do blind bores. However, the person I reached over email said they could. It seems like it depends on who you get... Maybe I will try again with them. Does anyone know of anyone else who can do blind bores?

-Matthew

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here are some requested photos:

First, here is the damage from the spun cam bearing. The bearing between the cam gear and the shaft seized and then the shaft spun where it was pressed in. The now unsupported cam gear destroyed the original thrust bearing and ground a nasty groove in the side of the crank case. In the process it spewed metal through the engine.
Damage from spun bearing.jpg

Here is the repaired bearing. I freed the shaft from the cam gear with a press and cleaned both up on my lathe. I then brazed the shaft back in and machined the braze to form a smooth surface for the gear to ride on.
Cam bearing.jpg

Finally, I machined a new thrust bearing for the other side of the cam gear to replace the original metal clip that was shredded.
New Thrust Bearing.jpg

-Matthew D'Asaro

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it has plenty of material on the cylinder to bore and install a cast iron sleeve.

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll add my 2 cents worth here, worked as a Yamaha mechanic for a dealer in WY for 10 years, we used both US CHROME, and Millennium Tecnologies BOTH never EVER had a single issue with Mill.Tech, had one cylinder that went back to US Chrome (one out of a metric ton) seriously they both are great! We had quicker turnaround using Mill. Tech I suspect because US Chrome is more widely heard of. Nothing but good with either, I'd agree with above posts call Millennium and I bet you can send it....
If you have to use US Chrome find the nearest motorcycle/atv dealership they can do it even if it's the first part USChrome won't turn them down...
All the best with your project

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK there have been a number of changes in this industry in the last year. Covid, labor shortages, supply problems and transportation issues have made getting high end Chainsaw parts a lot more difficult this year.

MILLENIUM - will only bore and plate headless/open cylinders and will only accept work from authorized dealers, no more one off stuff for hobbyists. We are a dealer for Millenium.

US CHROME - will plate blind cylinders of 1.85" bore or greater, and will not bore out cylinders at all anymore they are also no longer accepting any work for non dealers and not accepting any new dealers for at least the 2021 calendar year and perhaps longer. We are a dealer for US Chrome.

POWERSEAL - will only do open cylinders and again only for dealers. We are a dealer for Powerseal.

FALICON - has been bought by Race Winning Brands and subsequently shut down entirely.

CRANKWORKS - is no longer accepting direct work of any kind. We are a dealer for Crankworks.

WISECO - is no longer accepting any new dealers or non dealer work. We are a designer and dealer for Wiseco. All of our designs and models are exclusive to us and unavailable anywhere else except as part of a build from one of our network of great builders. Production and re-order times run into 6-8 months of more. We have designed more than 30 models so far and have 28 more in various stages of design and production. We currently have hundreds of pistons on order.

WOSSNER - is no longer accepting new work at all until further notice.

CANNON BAR WORKS - is running long delays and are raising all prices from 8-16% on July 1st. NO DEALER HAS ANY DURALITE BARS IN STOCK. I have a prior preorder or 24 and 28" duralites arriving within the next month or so, they are not ALL claimed so if you want one send me a clear PM. We are also developing several exclusive CCC Racing by Cannon specialized bars (stay tuned for details). I do NOT stock much of the Cannon line, they have more than 1000 standard models from 8" to 96" and beyond. I order by request and often drop ship direct from Cannon to save time ad money for the buyers.

STAY TUNED TRUE BELIEVERS !!!
much more exciting news to come
Dave

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you so much Dave. That is exactly the information I have been looking for and is very through and clear. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, it looks like I am out of luck for getting my 1.5" / 38mm blind bore plated. Too bad, but at least I can end my quest t have this done. maybe I can get it to kinda run as-is... :( Who knows, maybe things will get better or maybe someone else will eventually enter the blind bore plating business. One can always hope right?

-Matthew