PAST CT Spring GTG May 6th 2017

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@huskyboy we compared Matt's fast 372 to your now mofo'd 044 and I don't remember how they compared? 044 edged out in a timed cut? I thought the 372 felt faster anyway. I think I offered to trade my 372 for that one!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
It was faster in timed cuts, spring AV fools you I think. I think I crushed the myth a 044 will never beat a 372:rolleyes:. It seemed to give Dan's 460 a hard time in the cant too. But... none saws were not same bar and chain so it don't really count. My little 85cc hacked up 385 pulled a 41 inch .404 within 10% of the pack of bigger saws. It was 6 secs slower than Sondre's 395. And 4 secs behind ported 394xp. That may be a lot in a small log but in a 40inch oak I think that's close considering how hard it is to be consistent in large wood. Too many variables.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly Mike.
A badass 372 or 390 will still whup a big Stihl.
It's all a matter of who's got what, and when..

but..

If you get the right Stihl, built right.
Chain it real good, and get a guy on the end of it who really can wring it out, get to the wood first, it can win some races.

No doubt.

6 cube any way... You can kiss 3-4-5 cube goodbye....

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Like I said, keep hearing about it, just not seeing it, and I'm not talking about cants, I'm talking about in real logs.

I don't cut cants for firewood! To me, that is fun to watch, but it is pure entertainment. Test em in real wood!

Your welcome to come and bring what you got.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the difference Mike between what we have, work saws, and race saws.
Really can't compare the 2. Like apples and oranges.
Like comparing a big block engine in a pickup truck to your Mustang engine. Lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my Hacked up 385 last cut left in that log. Smooth and could lean on it. It's very similar to Mason's hacked up 385. 32" with JGX skip chain, 8 pin, round filed by me with a couple swipes below 025 on rakers could dog or weight of saw. Guy from guilford long goatee (Dan reminded me of his name and I forgot again dammit!) ran the 385 also and he wants one now I think :)

Im bummed Kevin and Dan didn't get a chance to run my 385. We were busy with 60 and 70 cc shootout going on at the other log cluster.... Including that screamin 562 nice replacement for a 262. Also wanted @MustangMike to try the 385. Hell Julian, Scott, cfb Mike, lee too... Wanted her to be a slut saw just curious to see what y'all think... Enjoy watching others run muh saws too. @mdavlee can ya tell I'm happy with the result? We've got a large oak to take down this weekend 385 gonna be part of that. Yard tree hope she doesn't have surprises in it...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric, wish I could have stayed longer, would like to have played with the 385, 372 and 562. I guess next time!

I know Dan did some informal testing with a ported 262, my ported 360, and my ported 362 and concluded you would need a stopwatch to tell them apart.

I know a few people were impressed with my Dr Al ported 460, and liked the way my unported 066 ran (for an unported saw).

And I know that Sondre's 6100 is very impressive. Did you get a chance to run that?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I I think his mustang has more torque than most pickups. I took a peek under the hood...That car is no joke lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Its hard to keep a saw loaded great for a minute without the spikes unless the chain is perfect.

I've run the unicorn many years back. It's crazy strong. 661 is getting more popular. I still like a 395 better.
I time 2 runs on 385 in that big log. With light pressure keeping it in its powerband it cut faster than just self feeding completely. I think the chain was starting to get a tad dull.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wrong!
Tree monkey has it down. His 064 hybrid was strongest in the 41" log, kicked ass in the dollar races, and it was right in the top 3 in the cants if not on top.
You can have both!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I said, keep hearing about it, just not seeing it, and I'm not talking about cants, I'm talking about in real logs.

I don't cut cants for firewood! To me, that is fun to watch, but it is pure entertainment. Test em in real wood!

Your welcome to come and bring what you got.

Now you sound like Jeff...
Hopefully you can stay longer next year, and participate in the races. I think you may change your mind...[emoji41]

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. We're just completely misunderstood.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I time 2 runs on 385 in that big log. With light pressure keeping it in its powerband it cut faster than just self feeding completely. I think the chain was starting to get a tad dull.

Yes, no way around that in that hard oak and long cuts.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant and dollar racing could've been very different. Most of us were new at it. I had used work chains on my saws and I think most of you all did too. And my big saws were tuned for big wood, and I could've turned them up a lot.
I dint think the top few saws would have been any different, but all those in the middle can be tweaked.
We all have a lot to learn, this is going to be fun!!!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am actually looking forward to trying different things and different cuts.
Takes the monotony out of working all the time. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna have Scott build a 394 just to ruin the creamsickle 's day.
A lot of potential in those bad boys.

he has a 395 on his bench that I look forward to running against the 661 when it's done.

Looking at that 394 matching with the dogs was it the same chain and starting to get dull?

same chain through out. It had test cuts on it and then hedgerow used it to slab that oak at the iowa gtg. i've done as much as 7 cuts in the big oak cant in a row where there was only a .3 sec spread with the same chain. the stuff is very very resilient in clean wood.

all that said this started out as just a friendly match up between myself and kevin's 661. That was all that was actually planned to run. Then it turned into well let's try this and lets try that! lol :)

I think some guys would argue wood size changed as well. I'd almost argue it got smaller ...if you divide the into 4 quadrants. The lower right got bigger. But the upper right got smaller.

That said IMHO the only true way to really measure more than a couple of saws at a time is to create a giant cant and use new chains.

Attachments

• woodsize.jpg
    woodsize.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 13

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also as you can see from the times. We both ran each other's saw differently. I think my 661 has a lot of torque and I run it pretty heavy handed. It's the only saw I really run so I probably ran some of the other saws too heavy handed? i dunno. in any case it was pretty cool to run all the saws.:headbang:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: