High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cross Performance 066/064 660 piston and cylinder kit.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one of those Dave. Thanks a heap.

I put it on for a for a feller that blows up everything saw he has had. All of them stock, overworked with a dull chain.
I schooled him a bit on mix choice and chain sharpening.

It is still running fine. He is very happy.
I check with him about once a month.

I liked the way it ran on initial fire up and run in.

Thanks for the update Mike.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@super3

Maybe get the saw back for a day for some videos and pull the muffler for some pics?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the update Mike.

You bet.

@super3

Maybe get the saw back for a day for some videos and pull the muffler for some pics?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll do that soon as he gets done with his ditch work.
Has a small outfit and does a lot of ditch clearing this time of yr. He's hard on them, it will be a good test bed.
He runs up to a 50" bar on it.
Ya,I know, I just shook my head.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Should be a good litmus test for the saw and jug.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I put on the 066 (it is in the HL Supply Vid) is still running well. My brother had opportunity to run it a few months ago and he was very impressed with how much he could lean on it.

I will tell you it got considerably stronger after the first tank of fuel.

I have done 4 of the 660 kits now (one 066 3 Asian 660s) w/o incident if you use OEM piston pin bearing and OEM piston clips.

W/O a base gasket they all yield squish of .019-.020, pufeackt!!!

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John Reilly had me send him another 064 and 066 MMWS kits last week, he swaps out for Meteor piston kits, but he loves the heck out of those cylinders. Anyone know for sure if they are Nikasil or Chrome?
We have been testing the first 9 models of the CCC Racing pistons from Wiseco and brand new Stihl cylinders are getting destroyed in very short run times by the Wiseco rings :(
We are sourcing some custom race rings now, but I think John would like to try a prototype in a MMWS 54mm jug.

So far from what we have seen the cylinder timing is excellent the finish can vary from OEM quality to pretty shabby, but nothing that cant be cleaned up in 15 minutes for the most part. Not a big fan of the piston/clips at this point.

Only had two completely come apart so far, one had the ring rip off the top of the piston above the land and the other had a clip come apart
Dave

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John Reilly had me send him another 064 and 066 MMWS kits last week, he swaps out for Meteor piston kits, but he loves the heck out of those cylinders. Anyone know for sure if they are Nikasil or Chrome?
We have been testing the first 9 models of the CCC Racing pistons from Wiseco and brand new Stihl cylinders are getting destroyed in very short run times by the Wiseco rings :(
We are sourcing some custom race rings now, but I think John would like to try a prototype in a MMWS 54mm jug.

So far from what we have seen the cylinder timing is excellent the finish can vary from OEM quality to pretty shabby, but nothing that cant be cleaned up in 15 minutes for the most part. Not a big fan of the piston/clips at this point.

Only had two completely come apart so far, one had the ring rip off the top of the piston above the land and the other had a clip come apart
Dave
I know the hyway 390xp cylinder had a nikasil liner that I got recently. Just something I thought of, are the cylinders that are getting destroyed “stihl” branded or mahle cylinders. I’m pretty sure mahle is nikasil liner. Not sure about stihl branded.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mahle new OEM Stihl MS660 (from my ported EC 066 :() and a pair of Mahle OEM Stihl MS661s ( one brand new out of the box the other with hours on it), also an 056 Mag 2 jug, but he never should have run that combination, that model is old enough we knew it was chrome bore. I have same cylinders and rings headed to a lab to confirm actual composition.
@tree monkey @Redbull661 I sent you guys a sample today but don't run it in a Stihl cylinder.
Dave

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
according to the expert the magnet test isn't reliable and there are lots of different "blends" of nickel and chromium and other elements available, some are proprietary to the oem manufacturers and others to the brands

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am wondering about the actual composition, I have been finding out that Nikasil can be a generic term like Xerox in addition to a specific patented application. Got a couple smart guys working on the answer from different angles. when we get teh thin rings made we want to be sure of the material needed for compatibility with all the different OEM and top tier cylinders

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You think the rings are wearing out the cylinders Dave?
Or vice versa?

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
rings are galling the plating right off of the bore
I don't have one handy to take pictures of but the cylinder walls up at the squish band are Fuuuuuggggly.
Wiseco wanted to hold onto the MS661 jug for thier engineers to peer at and I sent the ported 660 jug back to have the head cut off, bored out, replated and turned into an even faster cant saw than it was before the experiment :)
Dave

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Definitive Dave

Have the ring end gaps been clearanced ?
Yep the rings are right, the 346ne ring is a file to fit, with a custom made set of jigs and is doing great but we may have a custom ring done to eliminate the extra work when selling them vs. just doing the prototypes for testing.

Just material incompatibility between the chrome faced 1mm steel rings from Wiseco and the plating in the Stihl bores.
We haven’t run a CCC piston in a MMWS or Meteor cylinder yet, we tested OEM first. Most guys who are going to spend $130 on a piston are going to use an oem jug (my best guess). Those two MMWS cylinders and a few of the Meteor cylinders may be notable exceptions as the 066 and 661 jugs are really nice.

I think John Reilly is going to test the 54mm CCCR windowless piston in the MMWS 064 and 066 cylinders on a test bed saw, he loves to make videos so it shouldn’t be to long:). I wish i had his energy!!

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cabers are 1.2 and 1.5mm thick, the Wiseco are 1mm thick and made in Japan by the same company that makes the 1mm rings for Caber - yep i ordered them from Italy and they sent the rings identical to what we already have - wheeeee !!

At this point we are going to have a little collaboration between our ring manufacturer and Wiseco to make something that actually works well for all the cylinder bore coatings. It's a lot of R&D and experimentation to get all the moving pieces to align.