Convert 18V Dewalt to 20V

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am back to this again. I really need batteries and not sure the setup I need. I want to use the 20 V ion batteries in my old 18v XRP stuff. I need the adapter and charger I realize. What is the largest amp per hr 20v battery I can use (2,3,4 etc)? Can I use my 18v (yellow) ion charger to charge the 20v ion batteries with the adapter on?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Off topic but I buy the Chinese aftermarket 18 volt batteries for like 20 dollars or less. I’m sticking to that. I like the 18 over the new 20 personally.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried them and did not have great luck. Die quicker than the XRP battery. I wish they would have lasted longer cause that wld be my go to answer.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just learned these will fit and work. You have to nip off a lil piece of plastic. Dewalt charger works also. 1/3 the price.
20200910_203811.jpg 20200910_203825.jpg 20200910_205041.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I retired all those Dewalt battery drills ,sawzall etc came home with me.I think I have about a dozen batteries and three chargers .A few extra batteries must have a cell or two bad which some time I may delve into repairing but since I don't need them that might be some time . .
I saw a thing on You Tube where a guy made an adapter to use a car battery which evidently had a high enough voltage to run the drill .Of course it wouldn't be real portable but usable .I some how can't see anybody lugging around a 40 pound battery .

A.Bursell

New OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Still have one good 18v XRP battery. Tried the aftermarkets and just was never happy with them. I caved in and bought a 20v battery and adapter while on sale. Been using without any issues. You do need the specific charger. I think it's Lithium vs. NiCad that requires that. Fun fact- in Europe the new batteries are still called 18v, the 20v is marketing for the US.

Side note, I have also picked up a couple cheap Ryobi tools for occasional use. For those I have an adapter I picked up off Amazon for about $15 that lets me use my 20v Dewalt batteries in the Ryobi tools. Works great. Only thing to watch out for is if using the adapter and you drain the battery all the way it can kill it. Dewalt puts the electronics to manage the battery in the tools while others out it in the batteries.
Adam

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dewalt's "20v" batteries are 18v. Look at the package for any Dewalt next time you're in the store and you'll see a fine print disclaimer that the battery is 18v nominal with a 20v float voltage.... just like every other 18v battery in the world. (Funny that Black & Decker didn't go "20v" since it's the same company, but maybe they figured lying about the battery voltage should be a premium feature.)

The difference between the old batteries labeled 18v and the new ones is in the chemistry (they went from nicad to lithium ion), and the package (they went from a post like Ryobi still has to a slide-on type).

So yeah, the new batteries are much better than the old ones because they're lithium, but they're 18v batteries, probably off the same production line that makes the Black&Decker branded ones.