Country flag

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@CLEARCUT
Do u cut down all trees or only the one that were heavily damaged by the fire?
This is a clearcut with leave tree areas, so everything is getting cut within the boundary except for the leave trees. Most logging in the area has been diverted to these burn areas, and they are leaving there other stands of green timber alone for the most part.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a clearcut with leave tree areas, so everything is getting cut within the boundary except for the leave trees. Most logging in the area has been diverted to these burn areas, and they are leaving there other stands of green timber alone for the most part.
I don't know how your weather is there.
but it would also be smart to leave some dead trees standing. These store moisture and provide a little shade so that the soil does not dry out as much

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but it would also be smart to leave some dead trees standing. These store moisture and provide a little shade so that the soil does not dry out as much

The problem with leaving dead or dying standing is they are a bug magnet and a big safety concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Skeans1 covered it, and as all the dead trees decay and perhaps fall over, they could damage the young reprod as well.
In more arid climates, the shelterwood harvest seems to work well, with the benefits as you stated, except being green trees left.

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
586DB74B-34C1-4C02-A024-34F62391B8FB.jpeg 9CDC5B9E-5417-4F83-B27F-76C3940D67C6.jpeg 0A89A33F-2008-465A-9857-CA26399AE2DF.jpeg BDD7545D-02F0-4F53-AE92-18FD347C86AB.jpeg The burn is dirty and dangerous. Some trees uproot really easy. I had a couple uproot today without much force.
The 500 so far is taking the toll of being used hard. On steep ground I often times jam the pistol-grip in the ground to help me get a hand-hold of some sort, and overall, the powerhead is constantly making contact with rocks and dirt. I was a little worried about that stuff when I first got one last year, but even though the saw is super light, I haven’t experienced problems associated with that.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some dead stand are good for wildlife, No? Birds and other animals. Some foresters and arborists suggest leaving a few standing for wildlife refuge up here.
Yeah, for sure. There are plenty in the wildlife and leave tree areas. They are dangerous to cut around, so if snags are needed, but not “available”, they will sometimes top standing green trees to create snags after the logging. But usually the wildlife trees are left in a corner, on the boundary, or around a creek, and that keeps them and us out of each-other’s way.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some dead stand are good for wildlife, No? Birds and other animals. Some foresters and arborists suggest leaving a few standing for wildlife refuge up here.

All the years I’ve been around being in the woods plus owning our own ground a stand that is healthy normally has more wildlife. I’ve done both producing snags or killing live trees to make dead fall and all it does is promote fire issues down the road.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with leaving dead or dying standing is they are a bug magnet and a big safety concern.

from the pictures I don’t see a safety problem. Or is there a street or something? Bug magnet is right, but the majority of them are not bad. For the young generation of trees a little bid of shade is positive. With a lot of sun in the summer, it can be very hot on the ground.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from the pictures I don’t see a safety problem. Or is there a street or something? Bug magnet is right, but the majority of them are not bad. For the young generation of trees a little bid of shade is positive. With a lot of sun in the summer, it can be very hot on the ground.

Douglas Fir isn’t a shade tolerant species like a Western Red Cedar is. When thinning Doug Fir we’ll shoot for two to two and half sides open in a stand of that age it doesn’t take to being shaded well. One thing to remember yes our summers can be hot but we spend 6+ months under our liquid sun shine. If you look at @CLEARCUT pictures you can see all the small choked out little firs from not having enough sunlight.