Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those jacks sound pretty cool.
He must have good connections, because he has a decent set of parts for it. I don’t know if anybody noticed, but the air filter cover is back to being orange...it had a run in with a tree and Horner’s happened to have an air filter cover for it.

I should have gotten pictures of the jacks but wasn't even thinking of it at the time. They belonged a faller there in Cottage Grove who spent some time in the islands in SE Alaska in the mid-late 90's. Those jacks were made by a machine shop in Longview. There was also a neat set at Hunt's shop in the mid-90's that belonged to a faller from Roseburg who was a SE Alaska guy for years. The pump unit used an 056 Mag powerhead and ran up to six rams. Sil told me that on the smaller islands where the soil was thin, they'd run more rams to help keep the tree from pulling its' rootwad up with it. I guess that killed quite a few guys in the 70's and 80's.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the timing is advanced. It is not detrimental to performance. What I noticed is it would be blubbering rich at the factory setting at WOT and with the timing advanced it would still be rich but hit the revlimitter hard and consistently instead of hitting for a split second then start 4 stroking bad. When you were cutting smaller trees back baring you would have to push extremely hard to get it to clear up in the cut which made the av absolutely horrible.
I assume you timed the cuts in the same log with and without advance?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have gotten pictures of the jacks but wasn't even thinking of it at the time. They belonged a faller there in Cottage Grove who spent some time in the islands in SE Alaska in the mid-late 90's. Those jacks were made by a machine shop in Longview. There was also a neat set at Hunt's shop in the mid-90's that belonged to a faller from Roseburg who was a SE Alaska guy for years. The pump unit used an 056 Mag powerhead and ran up to six rams. Sil told me that on the smaller islands where the soil was thin, they'd run more rams to help keep the tree from pulling its' rootwad up with it. I guess that killed quite a few guys in the 70's and 80's.

There was a video on YouTube of something like that. I think that shop up here was Rocky’s old machine shop he use to do a lot of custom stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’d love to see some of those different jacks. There is an old, retired faller here in the valley that has a couple sets of jacks that he wants to pass on. And an 084.
Always a unique hazard in different places it seems.
It’s a small world...Sill and his wife will be at dinner tonight.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not time the cuts . I had full intention to but did not. One thing is for sure I couldn't use that saw as a work saw with the stock timing whether it was 1 second faster or not
Please elaborate ......... why not ?
Just too blubbery unless loaded well ?

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
D00BA106-270E-422F-B340-C593C2C7FD68.jpeg 15B0773C-2DF3-43B5-8C9B-D1558197FF30.jpeg E95235BA-65D9-4913-B97A-703466F21449.jpeg E301A5B6-A693-43FC-B757-2DA8117A277F.jpeg CEE4D189-FF6B-444A-91E6-4DFE240ABFC8.jpeg Here is the wrap handlebar for the 500i. I am not sure what the plastic piece is for. I was able to get a set and the screened muffler. There is also another 500 on the way. Giving it another chance.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is, I’m not able to see how it would work, but I’ll learn some more when I put the handlebars on the saw.
I'm glad you revived this thread, my interest in the 500i is returning and I'd like to hear how your second go round is.