Champion Plugs Quality?

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you think? I buy Generac maintenance kits because it's the only way I can get the correct air filter. However, it comes free with a Champion plug. But, I'm an NGK guy, their fit and durability are great. So, shut up and use the champion plug? Had problems with a Champion on a Saab, and it gave me fits until I went "back to the basics" when diagnosing the problem.
Thanks

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you trust NGK, use NGK. Throw the Champion on the shelf for troubleshooting. It's just a plug.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used plenty of champion plugs and never had any problems.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't really fault Champions but I have run NGK in everything I've ever cared about..

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many uses to criticize Champion plugs, and all I can say is based off 'my experience'. I've always used whatever plug came with a saw i.e NGK or Bosch. When I buys replacements I go with Denso but my local service station discounted the hell out of their remaining Champion saw plugs as they were ceasing to stock sparkplugs (they make more money selling sugar to help sugar addicted folk become obese). Anyway I bought about half a dozen of the 14mm saw plugs about 6 years ago. Put them in a commercial blower, 2 ported pro saws that get used at least 3/4 times a week and into 2 climbing saws ms200t and a Makita. I've since put many hours on these pieces of equipment, I'm talking wearing through multiple bars, rolls of chain etc. Plug failures for me a fairly rare, I've had an NGK porcelain crack and needed tossing and an electrode break off either a Bosch or NGK. But the Champion plugs have been as good as any, they have worked well for a LONG amount of run time. Are they the best? I dunno, but I can't say there's anything wrong with them.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure the champions screw in a little deeper or fill the combustion chamber a tad more than other brands which leads to a slight bump in compression.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure the champions screw in a little deeper or fill the combustion chamber a tad more than other brands which leads to a slight bump in compression.
Compression is a good thing in this case

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago, I had problems with Champion in car and truck engines. The last few years, problems with them in industrial engines. I don't recall having a problem with them in any 2 stroke that I have worked on. In 2 strokes, Bosch and NGK are the only brands that I have had a few bad ones. (The NGKs were NOT the "made in japan" ones.)
Any of the plugs that I'm talking about here, were brand new.