Chainsaw Porting Theory

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add with the above cut and paste it was too long to do in it's entirety .However it's interesting if somebody wants to Google it .Cline in his writings defines pre ignition as being before top dead center for varied reasons .He defines detonation as happening from the unburned gasses of combustion happening after 14 degrees past top dead center .Similar in nature but not one in the same.,

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've come to learn that "4 stroking" occurs when the mix is too rich to fire. So that combustion cycle goes unburned, and then it mixes with some exhaust days and ignites on the next cycle. If it takes 2 cycles, then it's "6 stroking".

I'm having a hard time understanding why an engine goes from 4 stroking with no load to 2 stroking under load.

You lay the chain into wood, so now you have resistance.

Does the motor suddenly have more chamber heat to burn the mix better?

What's actually happening?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've come to learn that "4 stroking" occurs when the mix is too rich to fire. So that combustion cycle goes unburned, and then it mixes with some exhaust days and ignites on the next cycle. If it takes 2 cycles, then it's "6 stroking".

I'm having a hard time understanding why an engine goes from 4 stroking with no load to 2 stroking under load.

You lay the chain into wood, so now you have resistance.

Does the motor suddenly have more chamber heat to burn the mix better?

What's actually happening?
The load on a WOT chain is minimal and does little work, when you put the chain in wood, more work is done, so more power is needed.

At no load, the tune is slightly rich for the load and we see the typical 2 stroke studder or 4 stroke. That same tune cleans up with more load, and as the load increases, more fuel is needed to cool the machine and have the necessary power to do the increased work

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another question.

Has anyone here experimented with a tight small combustion chamber and a dished piston?

I was considering trying this on a 262. Swap in a 261 piston.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The load on a WOT chain is minimal and does little work, when you put the chain in wood, more work is done, so more power is needed.

At no load, the tune is slightly rich for the load and we see the typical 2 stroke studder or 4 stroke. That same tune cleans up with more load, and as the load increases, more fuel is needed to cool the machine and have the necessary power to do the increased work
Agreed. But what's physically happening in the chamber that makes a richer mix burn cleaner under load?

The A/F ratio in the case is unchanged. So should be what's in the chamber. The throttle plate is wide open and the ignition timing is the same.

The richer you make the mix, the more bar pressure it takes to eliminate 4 stroking. Up to the point that it can't be eliminated at all.

The RPMs at WOT certainly drop under load.

But why is the chamber burning the mix cleaner under load?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stand corrected, possibly, about transfer backflow.

Blair doesn't describe rpm changes with this flow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456059702.824762.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456059714.267036.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed. But what's physically happening in the chamber that makes a richer mix burn cleaner under load?

The A/F ratio in the case is unchanged. So should be what's in the chamber. The throttle plate is wide open and the ignition timing is the same.

The richer you make the mix, the more bar pressure it takes to eliminate 4 stroking. Up to the point that it can't be eliminated at all.

The RPMs at WOT certainly drop under load.

But why is the chamber burning the mix cleaner under load?
I understand what your saying but don't know that I can explain why. I guess the way I see it is that when the saw is 4 stroking without a load it's just free revving. There is little to no resistance or work to be done. So your tuning the carb at a high rpm until it's rich. Now, when you put that same engine under a load rpm's drop, more heat is created, and the combustion process slows down allowing the fuel to completely burn.

Maybe I'm way off key here, that's just how I see it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand what your saying but don't know that I can explain why. I guess the way I see it is that when the saw is 4 stroking without a load it's just free revving. There is little to no resistance or work to be done. So your tuning the carb at a high rpm until it's rich. Now, when you put that same engine under a load rpm's drop, more heat is created, and the combustion process slows down allowing the fuel to completely burn.

Maybe I'm way off key here, that's just how I see it.
That's what I'm getting at. The "why".

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The more work you do, the more energy has to be expended, so more fuel has to be burned. No doubt.

I still can't wrap my head around what's changing at the molecular level under load.

It has to be heat.

You get a saw with really high compression warmed up good, it needs a richer mix.

When you load the engine, it has to make more heat for power output. Probably what it is.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The more work you do, the more energy has to be expended, so more fuel has to be burned. No doubt.

I still can't wrap my head around what's changing at the molecular level under load.

It has to be heat.

You get a saw with really high compression warmed up good, it needs a richer mix.

When you load the engine, it has to make more heat for power output. Probably what it is.
Yes, that's what I was getting at, it's a combination of the higher heat and longer burn time.

But then again, we may be completely wrong lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"4 stroking" really is just a slang term and is the basic and conventional method of tuning a chainsaw engine by sound .Some might think a tachometer is a must but believe it or not ,it is the method a majority of race saws builders use .It's worked well for me and I'm not a race saw builder .

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you are both right. Don't forget you've got @250 cycles per second. How many cycles does it actually take to drop revs and add heat? 50 cycles is 1/5 of a second.
Also on the more time to burn theory, at wot it four strokes, back off the throttle a whisker and it cleans up just like loading the saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk