Chainsaw Porting Theory

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was a little backwards. The one I did I went 102/120/78 only video I uploaded was this one.

It's crazy how good your saw cuts Mike and then Awol's cuts awesome too at 110 on the exhaust. It's like no rules. Lots of different ways to make power!!! So cool!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's crazy how good your saw cuts Mike and then Awol's cuts awesome too at 110 on the exhaust. It's like no rules. Lots of different ways to make power!!! So cool!
Yes it is. I think best cut I made with it was 1.7 or so and my 46 was 1.5 with good chains. Matt's 7900 was 1 flat usually.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is really no replacement for displacement, so in theory the 372 should be able to outperform the 562;

Yep, no replacement for displacement, that's why I use a 77cc after market jug on the 365/372. You just have to rework the lower transfers and piston so it can breath like a 77cc engine.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@awol

What are your thoughts on a 262 with a 110 exhaust and a dished 261 piston to keep compression realistic?

I'm thinking the 261 piston is a factory gift from them.

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ummm, well, I really don't know a lot about the 262, I've never even ported one. I think they're 48mm bore by 34mm stroke? The problem I see with really low exhausts on the older saws with a big case, and large but short transfers, is that the transfer pressure is not high enough to overcome the exiting exhaust flow. You'll probably have a saw with a very wide happy range, and lots of grunt.(which is what I have been trying to get from the 562 without much success). Also, I don't think that the 262s piston skirt is wide enough to go as wide with the ex port as what I normally do. In what way is the 261s piston different than the 262?
The dished piston would not be the best way to lower compression, it will hinder good scavenging. Just machine some material out of the combustion chamber.

I will be putting a wheel on the next batch of 562s that I do, and get some good, hard numbers. I also have a few more ideas for improvement. Has anybody tried exhaust side fingers in these saws?!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ummm, well, I really don't know a lot about the 262, I've never even ported one. I think they're 48mm bore by 34mm stroke? The problem I see with really low exhausts on the older saws with a big case, and large but short transfers, is that the transfer pressure is not high enough to overcome the exiting exhaust flow. You'll probably have a saw with a very wide happy range, and lots of grunt.(which is what I have been trying to get from the 562 without much success). Also, I don't think that the 262s piston skirt is wide enough to go as wide with the ex port as what I normally do. In what way is the 261s piston different than the 262?
The dished piston would not be the best way to lower compression, it will hinder good scavenging. Just machine some material out of the combustion chamber.

I will be putting a wheel on the next batch of 562s that I do, and get some good, hard numbers. I also have a few more ideas for improvement. Has anybody tried exhaust side fingers in these saws?!
Ricardo did exhaust side fingers in one. Without running it against another one you don't know if it worked or not.

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The good part about taking material out of the chamber, is that you can shape it however you so desire, like what headsaw builders do. Normally we be trying to figure out how to add material to the chamber! The bad part is, after it's removed, you can't put it back.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Are carb modifications included in this thread? I have this little theory of piggybacking two carbs on my 064 hybrid using the longer 046 carb mount studs. Kind of like a velocity stack, only instead of just a tube and a carb it'll be two carbs as the tube.
I'm pissed at myself now. I was ready to hit the sack and this more than likely dumb idea is going to keep me up long enough tonight to try it out.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are carb modifications included in this thread? I have this little theory of piggybacking two carbs on my 064 hybrid using the longer 046 carb mount studs. Kind of like a velocity stack, only instead of just a tube and a carb it'll be two carbs as the tube.
I'm pissed at myself now. I was ready to hit the sack and this more than likely dumb idea is going to keep me up long enough tonight to try it out.

Neat idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk