Chainsaw Porting Theory

wigglesworth

Knocker of midget farts......
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I must interject.....

How can cutting the base decrease case volume?

The piston will still be traveling the same height, so where is the decease?

Teach me. :)

You talking volume or piston displacement?

The volume will decrease minutely. The lower trans are always part of case volume, as they are always open to the case. By cutting the base, you lower the uppers, which are tied to the lowers, which are open to the case, therefore, you have decreased the total volume of the case.

Now if u raise the trans, it's all a wash. Which I usually do anyhow....

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I was getting at, sorry if I wasn't too clear. Makes me think back to school where we were taught that things want to go from areas of lower volume to higher volume. Or higher pressure to lower pressure. So in order to overcome a having a lower combustion area volume we would need to have higher pressure in the crankcase. I could be completely talking out of my butt here but it makes sense in my head.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
This is true except that the higher pressure in the combustion chamber doesn't happen until transfers and exhaust are closed. So its not overcoming higher pressures. I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wigglesworth

Knocker of midget farts......
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
soooo, what story are you going to read us at 11.00? how long is nap time?

I gotta go potty

I got some jack and Jill jokes. Maybe an old mother Hubbard or two.

Just use your britches like u always do...

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is true except that the higher pressure in the combustion chamber doesn't happen until transfers and exhaust are closed. Do its not overcoming higher pressures. I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you are right, but the total volume is less. How this affects things I don't know.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The whole "cutting the base vs case compression" thing....look at like this. Like MM said about bottom fed vs side fed transfers. If when you cut the base, you're removing area that normally has fuel flowing through it, you decrease case volume. If all you cut was aluminum, nothing changed. Makes sense to me like that

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking on a few things so here goes...

Displacement isnt gained or lost in decreasing or increasing crank case volume. Displacement is found by multiplying Bore (squared) x Stroke x .7854. So unless you change the bore diameter or change the stroke of the crank the displacement will remain constant.

I agree that the decrease in crank volume associated with a gasket delete or cutting the base would be present but negligible. I believe this would however increase crank case pressure to the same largely undetectable level without the right equipment to test it. And as mentioned, any volume lost could easily be recovered by raising the transfers back up or even opening up the lower transfers in my mind.

Hard to catch up to you guys after 3 hours! Good thread!

Last edited:

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would cut .040 from the squish band, set squish to .020 and run it with no port work to set a base line. go from there.

I don't think you can get the transfers down to 115 on a 066. but I think that's about where they will need to be.