High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Permanent marker can be wiped off with a cotton cloth doused in alcohol, as such I have no issues with that myself.

I recently sorted through my chain stock, added three more Stihl boxes in order to toss a couple cardboard ones.
I just placed a marked piece of paper in the boxes on top of the chains, can easily be read through the Stihl box lid.

Tossed a couple "dead" loops in the scrap bin, still have a couple for stump removal purposes.

How are you sharpening your carbide chains ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you sharpening your carbide chains ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, I am having difficulties with that so far!
My Rapid Duro3 is dull, I took a dremel type grinder with diamond burr to it a couple times now - I just can't get the edge back so that it self feeds again.
I am not running this chain actively in it's current dull state!

Luckily my Picco Duro3 is still sharp, my small Sachs-Dolmar 108 is not being used as much as my bigger saws.

I have enough regular chains to keep cutting firewood, but I do miss the carbide chain for not requiring sharpening for about a year of active usage.

Worst case scenario I'll eventually take the carbide loop to my local Stihl dealer and see what they'll do with it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap diamond wheels are available for full sized grinders.

Philbert
I might have to try going that route.
I have a cheaply made supermarket grinder that I don't use, I'll have to look into setting it up for carbide chains.

Any links of said cheap diamond wheels?

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest, I am having difficulties with that so far!
My Rapid Duro3 is dull, I took a dremel type grinder with diamond burr to it a couple times now - I just can't get the edge back so that it self feeds again.
I am not running this chain actively in it's current dull state!

Luckily my Picco Duro3 is still sharp, my small Sachs-Dolmar 108 is not being used as much as my bigger saws.

I have enough regular chains to keep cutting firewood, but I do miss the carbide chain for not requiring sharpening for about a year of active usage.

Worst case scenario I'll eventually take the carbide loop to my local Stihl dealer and see what they'll do with it.

You need a fine green silicon carbide.

Some dental stones are available on ebay in fine silicon carbide.

Last edited:

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanted to add if you have an unused cutter that will help bring it back to original.

You may have to dress a stone down in diameter, or buy larger diameter.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm thinking of grinding my own chain. I can file very effectively, but sometimes it just becomes too time consuming to do it properly. I've been looking at different grinders, and the Stihl USG looks to be about the best quality, without going into very high priced specialty grinders. The USG does appear to be missing the 10 degree down angle tilt of the vise, which, the more I think about it, is a non issue. It just creates a compound angle, which can be easily adjusted for. I use Oregon chain.. LGX, LPX and now the newer EXL. I honestly can't think of what the down angle does that cannot be achieved without it, other than providing parallel striations to the top plate. Everything else can be achieved the same way.

Am I missing something?

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking of grinding my own chain. I can file very effectively, but sometimes it just becomes too time consuming to do it properly. I've been looking at different grinders, and the Stihl USG looks to be about the best quality, without going into very high priced specialty grinders. The USG does appear to be missing the 10 degree down angle tilt of the vise, which, the more I think about it, is a non issue. It just creates a compound angle, which can be easily adjusted for. I use Oregon chain.. LGX, LPX and now the newer EXL. I honestly can't think of what the down angle does that cannot be achieved without it, other than providing parallel striations to the top plate. Everything else can be achieved the same way.

Am I missing something?
Cons are very expensive and doesn't have a light. How many chains would you sharpen?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I made my living with hand tools, as a lifelong Tool & Die Maker. I'm retired now, but I've kept my respect and desire to buy the best tools I can afford. I don't cut for a living,but I like to use sharp equipment when I do, which is more and more often.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 10° "down angle" is primarily an Oregon recommendation. They state that it makes a difference. Not surprising that STIHL does not support it.

That said, the Oregon and Tecomec hydraulic grinders do not have tilting
vises. They compensate by the position of the wheel, forward and rearward, relative to the cutter.

You can check out those manuals for some insight.

Philbert

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 10° "down angle" is primarily an Oregon recommendation. They state that it makes a difference. Not surprising that STIHL does not support it.

That said, the Oregon and Tecomec hydraulic grinders do not have tilting
vises. They compensate by the position of the wheel, forward and rearward, relative to the cutter.

You can check out those manuals for some insight.

Philbert

Exactly!

I cannot see how positioning the vice assy (wheel) for and aft would not provide the exact same thing!

BTW, not to insult owners of the Oregon branded grinders, but I'm pretty fussy concerning tools. I see lots of shops with the Tecomec made grinders in the shop, so I'm sure they're good also!

PS, And thank you... I was not aware that the hydraulic assisted grinders did not provide the 10 degree angle!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly!

I cannot see how positioning the vice assy (wheel) for and aft would not provide the exact same thing!

BTW, not to insult owners of the Oregon branded grinders, but I'm pretty fussy concerning tools. I see lots of shops with the Tecomec made grinders in the shop, so I'm sure they're good also!

PS, And thank you... I was not aware that the hydraulic assisted grinders did not provide the 10 degree angle!
Tecomec makes the Oregon grinders. So I would assume they’re of the exact same quality. And yes, sliding the chain vice in or out does the exact same thing as tilting the file or tilting the vise. I have the Tecomec super jolly now from Maverick mower. It has the hydraulic clamp and appears to be a fine piece of equipment