High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys you know you have an addiction when you type in "chainsaw" in your local CL and 7 out of 10 of the first saws to pop up are all saws I am selling....LoL....

Anyway great day today, my first PAYING chain sharpening customer!!!!

I got 7-chains, about 3-14" picco and 4-18" .325 chains..... I am charging the guy $6 a piece, he is a local guy and he is a few years younger than me.....I know minor for most of you guys, but hell it's a start!!!!!!!

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When grinding with 620 you keep one hand on the chain and one hand on the handle. No loosen or tightening. Just tap tap tap slide chain tap tap tap slide chain tap tap tap repeat.
Except when doing the initial setup ;).
Just as with every other tool there are advantages and disadvantages to them.
For long chains there is a great advantage to the hydraulic clamp, on the short ones it's lesser, but I still like it :).

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kept my mouth shut as he already gave me my $225, and I just said "hey I grind chains tool"..... :bash:
Fixed it for you buddy :rolleyes: :pancarta:.
Glad to see your getting into the chains more. A properly sharpened chain cuts more wood than a fast saw in most cases

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have read about using some shims and a washer out of stainless shim stock to tighten up the tolerances on the Northern Tool grinder can any one help me with the sizes ans exact locations?
Are you referring to the grinder head pivot?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The base swivel it was something I read on AS but the pics wouldn't there antmore.
@Philbert could you give us a link on that thread, I'll look it up tomorrow if I have internet.
I was referring to the angle to tilt the head.
Here's what I have off a Carlton box from a milling chain.
The bottom line on the 3/8.20170204_000123.jpg

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fixed it for you buddy :rolleyes: :pancarta:.
Glad to see your getting into the chains more. A properly sharpened chain cuts more wood than a fast saw in most cases
LOL.....Yes sir, you are excactly right....even the "less desirable" clamshell saws can keep your wood pile stacked high, just got to have a sharp chain!!!!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert could you give us a link on that thread . . .
Not sure what you are referring to.

Typical Grinder Adjustments (varies between grinder models):
Chain Grinding Angles diagram.png

(A) Vise Rotation - 'top plate angle'
(B) Vise Tilt - 'down angle'
(C) Grinder Head Tilt - 'top plate cutting / bevel angle'
(*not shown) Grinder Depth - 'hook'

Philbert

wiersy111

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Philbert could you give us a link on that thread, I'll look it up tomorrow if I have internet.

Here's what I have off a Carlton box from a milling chain.
The bottom line on the 3/8.View attachment 53845

There we go it's still 60* I will have to print Philberts picture out so I don't sound like such a moron when I ask a question.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys, I finally ground some Oregon chain today and I did use the down angle..... I must say it seemed to work out great on the Oregon chisel chain.... I didn't get a pic because I was in a hurry to go cut but I will next time...

I thought that the down angle adjustments may have been a pain to use, but to my surprise they are extremely easy to use on my Oregon 520 grinder....this grinder just continues to make me happy.... it has made my chain sharpening go a lot faster and the results have been GREAT so far!!!!!

Also if I continue to build customers that want their chains sharpened, I will be buying a 1/8 CBN wheel from diamond wheel real quick......These wheels are awesome!!!

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys I got a few 20" Stihl chains and I want to turn one into a ripping chain.....

My questions....what is the top plate angle I need....and should I use a semi-chisel or a chisel chain.....

I found 2-3 of the chisel Oregon vanguard I wonder if it would work!?!?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to turn one into a ripping chain....what is the top plate angle I need....and should I use a semi-chisel or a chisel chain.....
You might want to pose this in the 'Milling' forum. They actually use them. Otherwise, I would just be quoting you stock angles from the catalogs.

Philbert

wiersy111

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My ripping chains are at 10* normally but I have been trying out 5* lately just to see the difference.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My ripping chains are at 10* normally but I have been trying out 5* lately just to see the difference.
What do you set your head tilt at?

The Oregon ripping chain grinding specs are 10/10/50, with a 0.025 depth gauge.

Madsen's recommend 10-15/10/?, with a 0.015 depth gauge.

Philbert

Last edited:

wiersy111

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What do you set your head tilt at?

The Oregon ripping chain grinding specs are 10/10/50, with a 0.025 depth gauge.

Madsen's recommend 10-15/10/?, with a 0.015 depth gauge.

Philbert
As of now I have not ground one of my milling chains. I hand filed all of them while I was laid off before I bought the grinder. I don't have any Oregon milling chains mine are all Granberg Milling Chains, I don't recall who makes them. I am going to try 10/0/50 not sure yet on the depth gauge yet but I have found I am able to run them deeper than normal chain with the Granberg chains. Then I will try 10/10/50 I don't think the 10* tilt is going to affect the Granberg chains. I want to try 5* and 15* top plate angle and try 40*, 50* and 60* head tilt. Damn Granberg chains are kinda spendy in my sizes but they work so well. I'll probably try converting some 18" and 20" just for fun.