Building a mill.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice boys!

I picked up the motor carriage at the scrap yard today for 20 bucks. Pics later... It's crazy how perfect it is... I should have grabbed the other one.
@Wagnerwerks
Go back and get it for me. Please!

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow. OverKILL on the carriage dude.

Need to get you builders pics of this overkill boat trailer that came along some years back. There is two actually. One, will be moving a twenty foot box soon. Cox type decked over Alum A frame with side rails. The other is homemade channel and angle with Aframe Tbar tracks welded on top of the main frame. Sick rig. The guy built it to haul a 26x8.5 twin BB w/K drives. I have the frame and axles. It came stripped down.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Great thread it’ll be good too watch this come together
I’ve starting building a trailer mill ,it will be interesting
Too see what your doing on the frame and how your
mounting the engine and what your using for a chain tensioner
Let's see monster frames with a rotator and knuckle booms with claws!

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. OverKILL on the carriage dude.

Need to get you builders pics of this overkill boat trailer that came along some years back. There is two actually. One, will be moving a twenty foot box soon. Cox type decked over Alum A frame with side rails. The other is homemade channel and angle with Aframe Tbar tracks welded on top of the main frame. Sick rig. The guy built it to haul a 26x8.5 twin BB w/K drives. I have the frame and axles. It came stripped down.

Yes it is a bit overkill but Iam reckoning hanging some tractor weights
On the top along with auxiliary oiler the carriage will straddle
a 42” diameter sawlog
So I was reckoning on a boat winch to haul the carriage along

Also I was going to put a decent sized petrol engine up there
but I think I will stick with a chainsaw
there will be a 48” GB 3/8 Lo-Pro bar on the carriage

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice boards have you got a job for them slabs
Those pics were from a couple years ago ,that little Norwood setup has made me a lot of beams and boards since then ,can't remember what i made those into ,may have been 6x6 or 2x6 ,says 20 max in the Norwood instructions ,but i have cut up to 32 inch logs by trimming some off the sides freehand ,If ya notice my trees look like Buckins trees ,he lives not far from here ,just across the water .sawmill cedar beam 003.JPG sawmill cedar beam 003.JPG sawmill bark yamalube 660 004.JPG sawmill bark yamalube 660 005.JPG sawmill cedar 003.jpg KIMG1874_01.JPG

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you guys think only an auxiliary oil can deliver enough to the bar without a primary feed like using this TS760 I found?

It needs work. Top end is cooked. Not a deal killer though. Saw is filthy but seems solid and not bagged out. The muffler is rotted off, like usual. The rest is good. Cases are nice and quite serviceable. From the mount studs forward is already gone.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys think only an auxiliary oil can deliver enough to the bar without a primary feed like using this TS760 I found?

It needs work. Top end is cooked. Not a deal killer though. Saw is filthy but seems solid and not bagged out. The muffler is rotted off, like usual. The rest is good. Cases are nice and quite serviceable. From the mount studs forward is already gone.

I’ve done that when the Oiler died on my 880

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Wagnerwerks
Go back and get it for me. Please!
No can do. I'm out of here for s few days. If I get a chance when we get back I'll call to see if they still have it. They won't hold it... Been there before.

Im going to cut the top rollers off and repurpose those... 15325516213631062212942.jpg 15325516698041580624901.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those pics were from a couple years ago ,that little Norwood setup has made me a lot of beams and boards since then ,can't remember what i made those into ,may have been 6x6 or 2x6 ,says 24 max in the Norwood instructions ,but i have cut up to 32 inch logs by trimming some off the sides freehand ,If ya notice my trees look like Buckins trees ,he lives not far from here ,just across the water .View attachment 134238 View attachment 134238 View attachment 134241 View attachment 134242 View attachment 134243 View attachment 134244
Hey Brian, good pics. Those ladders take a beating in hardwood. The guy who milled that mullbury we killed in PA at the gtg had trouble with a 28" bar. He kept jamming it and twisting the ladder. It did not like it at all. His chain may have been too much for wet softer hardwood.
What is the max bar recommended for your large ladder mill?
@junkman

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Brian, good pics. Those ladders take a beating in hardwood. The guy who milled that mullbury we killed in PA at the gtg had trouble with a 28" bar. He kept jamming it and twisting the ladder. It did not like it at all. His chain may have been too much for wet softer hardwood.
What is the max bar recommended for your large ladder mill?
@junkman
28 does most stuff i cut ,i run 32 max any bigger i slab it with the alaska mill then finish the boards on the norwood once i have the cants / slabs made,i have gone to .404 chain ,it oils without the extra oiler ,up to a 41 inch bar in stuff i cut,chain setup makes a big difference for grabby or not ,square chisel helps with that.

Edit :
I mounted my norwood mill to 3 6x12 timbers to keep it solid and level,so no problem kicking out ,i also screw the ladder down every 2 feet so its solid ,i can also pick it up with the forks to move it around if need too ,hard to see the timbers they are buried in sawdust .My ladder is 16 foot so i can do a 13-6 cut with it ,if i slide the beam down can do longer ,i have squared up 24 foot 6x12 by sliding the beam down the dog sections after did half of it .

Last edited: