High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best of the "newcomer" chains

kentuckyguy

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl must have not been selling enough chain. I stopped by my local dealer yesterday and purchased 2 3/8”lp .050 55dl for $29. They have had a buy one get one half off on stihl chain for about 6 months now.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl and Oregon are not newcomer chains
Stihl is good chain but they've had quality issues like they all have had
Then they decided to screw everybody over on chain prices year's ago.
I'd still buy Oregon though
Good quality on the versions I've bought.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl and Oregon are not newcomer chains
Stihl is good chain but they've had quality issues like they all have had
Then they decided to screw everybody over on chain prices year's ago.
I'd still buy Oregon though
Good quality on the versions I've bought.

Yes, I've been happy with Oregon... But the new X chain currently has me hooked.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my problem with Archer, this is how mine came off the roll. It feels sharp and looks to have a decent corner but the beak under the top plate is almost 90° to the side plate ,and the gullet/ side is very up and down.20211220_111937.jpg 20211220_113642.jpg
In that configuration it breaks wood fiber well enough but makes very short chips even when noodling.
20211220_114016.jpg
I like them to come out about the size of my pinky nail in hard wood. 20211220_111959.jpg
I sharpened it over , a little more aggressive.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl must have not been selling enough chain. I stopped by my local dealer yesterday and purchased 2 3/8”lp .050 55dl for $29. They have had a buy one get one half off on stihl chain for about 6 months now.

I’ll have to stop by a dealer. I could use a couple more loops.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run a good bit of the archer and liked it very well. I didn’t realize it but I have it on my 32” as well. So I’ll give it a good review. Had some other Chinese chain that wouldn’t stay on the bar. If held out straight the amount of bow in the chain was pretty sad side to side. Tri link sucks. I use it it functions.
Currently running Carlton Oregon stihl and some archer. Like all of those. Got a partial roll of Windsor semi. I don’t worry too much about off the roll sharpness. That’s just the first sharpening. Once it fills you have to sharpen anyhow.
Oh yeah I’ve got some old mac 404 chipper. It’s amazing

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a loop of Archer. Off the roll is ugly, but once you touch it up to your liking, it cuts well. Even Carlton box chain is ugly. It needs to be tuned before use.
Archer, Carlton box chain, Carlton after a couple of swipes.

7db09dbb0de8582bcf8a77bed8117bd9.jpg
c5ce64d177b0801c28bc8e6e7c739a75.jpg
4daab4f76a977f6b3f43065bb4ed76e8.jpg

Last edited:

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve run a good bit of the archer and liked it very well. I didn’t realize it but I have it on my 32” as well. So I’ll give it a good review. Had some other Chinese chain that wouldn’t stay on the bar. If held out straight the amount of bow in the chain was pretty sad side to side. Tri link sucks. I use it it functions.
Currently running Carlton Oregon stihl and some archer. Like all of those. Got a partial roll of Windsor semi. I don’t worry too much about off the roll sharpness. That’s just the first sharpening. Once it fills you have to sharpen anyhow.
Oh yeah I’ve got some old mac 404 chipper. It’s amazing
I bought an Archer 32" bar and chain for $70-80 off eBay and I am very happy with it. I was not sure about 32" being too long but found out it was just right to use on a bunch of pine logs that were about that diameter (- large Dawgs on my chainsaw). Sure saved a lot of time making cookies out of the logs. Cut like butter even though logs were frozen in 0 degree overnite temps. No complaints after a couple of sharpenings although I am no expert.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
tmp-cam-6657426925459131399.jpg
Good info here.. Thanks gents.

I buy 100' reels. When I need a chain, I need a chain. I have enough for the rest of my life... Unless I live longer than expected! ;)
My Dad wanted to go halves on reels of chain just before he passed away. I kick myself for not taking him up in it. The picture is for Jakethesnake showing my 32" archer bar and chain combo I bought for cheap off eBay that I think is a great deal. Cut through the frozen pine log like butter and just the right length for one pass cutting. Real time saver and right price.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is my problem with Archer, this is how mine came off the roll. It feels sharp and looks to have a decent corner but the beak under the top plate is almost 90° to the side plate ,and the gullet/ side is very up and down.View attachment 320784 View attachment 320787
In that configuration it breaks wood fiber well enough but makes very short chips even when noodling.
View attachment 320788
I like them to come out about the size of my pinky nail in hard wood. View attachment 320789
Well I guess with one sharpening you are happy and for the price I am happy with my 32" Archer bar and chain. Cut great before and after sharpening but guess I will check it if I get more chain. Going to see how this chain holds out. Have you done a bunch more cutting/sharpening with the chain? Have a good one.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I guess with one sharpening you are happy and for the price I am happy with my 32" Archer bar and chain. Cut great before and after sharpening but guess I will check it if I get more chain. Going to see how this chain holds out. Have you done a bunch more cutting/sharpening with the chain? Have a good one.
I have used it a bunch , "happy with it" would be an over estimation of my feelings about it its adequate for light duty.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is my problem with Archer, this is how mine came off the roll. It feels sharp and looks to have a decent corner but the beak under the top plate is almost 90° to the side plate ,and the gullet/ side is very up and down.View attachment 320784 View attachment 320787
View attachment 320788
I like them to come out about the size of my pinky nail in hard wood. View attachment 320789
I wonder if the original factory sharpening worked OK for me because it was frozen and pine. I did look at the teeth and see exactly what you explained. My best deal on chain was Oregon loops for $2 or $3 each from a store that was liquidating. It is Oregon safety chain so I have to grind off a bunch of extra safety crap but it runs fine after that. I have Stihl chain also and a bunch of other brands. Biggest thing is to keep them sharp as we all know. The guy buying it by the reels sounds like the best idea...just gotta be sure you plan on keeping the saw with bar/chain combo. I have had my StihlMagnum 440 since 2007 and it is a lifer for me.tmp-cam-8929308506466997720.jpg
tmp-cam-5473424887681433385.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used it a bunch , "happy with it" would be an over estimation of my feelings about it its adequate for light duty.
Maybe you got a bad loop or a few bad ones. I’m running skip still. I’ve had really good luck with the stuff. Still cuts straight even after many hand filing. I know I’m not perfect. I think on all my short bars 20 and under I’d buy it again. I don’t know what the price difference is now between it and Oregon. Oregon is still my fav. But I can certainly use archer. Even on a 32” bar

I’ve never tried the bars but my short 20” and under bars I always buy the cheapest I can find. Currently running throw away Home Depot rental bars. I like cheap laminate bars when running short bars because they’re very light.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you got a bad loop or a few bad ones. I’m running skip still. I’ve had really good luck with the stuff. Still cuts straight even after many hand filing. I know I’m not perfect. I think on all my short bars 20 and under I’d buy it again. I don’t know what the price difference is now between it and Oregon. Oregon is still my fav. But I can certainly use archer. Even on a 32” bar

I’ve never tried the bars but my short 20” and under bars I always buy the cheapest I can find. Currently running throw away Home Depot rental bars. I like cheap laminate bars when running short bars because they’re very light.

That could be that I got a bad roll from Amazon? Maybe a dealer who is face to face with me would have inspected the inventory.
Either way the Archer bar that i put on my Pro Mac 800 starter to show wear with very little use ,so I haven't had any "good" luck with the brand.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That could be that I got a bad roll from Amazon? Maybe a dealer who is face to face with me would have inspected the inventory.
Either way the Archer bar that i put on my Pro Mac 800 starter to show wear with very little use ,so I haven't had any "good" luck with the brand.
I’d avoid them as well with that experience. I’ve had pretty good luck with the chains. Good customer service from arch plus. Took a year I think but he got me some 3/8 semi chisel skip in .058. Spun what I wanted and gave me a discount.

all that still , Ol Oregon is pretty hard to beat