Another chainsaw dyno...

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be interesting to see if and how much a modded carb changes the DYNO results.
How the torque and HP curves are affected...
Just thinking outloud.
I would guess a well modified or larger carb will always make more power on the dyno, with limits of course. It works that way on everything else on the dyno, yet most people stay with the smaller carb because of easy of use, tuning ease and other reasons. But peak power there will usually be gains with a bigger carb, a big carb 395 would be interesting, it has enough cc to justify a larger carb than a 60cc Mac from the 70’s, if 044 carbs are gains on an 026 for wide open power. Most of the modern 70cc saws have a well sized carb, any larger imho would see decent gains, and the larger saws might still keep there manners. I just put huge carbs on a quad, and the manner are excellent for drag racing.

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When tuning and throttle response are important, bigger is not always better.
Gotta agree on that, bigger carb likes shorter intake duration on small cc motor. Smaller carb benefits from more intake duration

Small = more velocity and good for low end tq
Big = more volume and good for high rpm hp

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 8000 you ported, that I ran at Kevin's GTG this year, was one of the 2 saws that impressed me the most that weekend. There were a lot of strong saws there, but only 2 are etched in my mind above all the others. The other was the stroked 661. Very impressive and well done sir.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not quite sure I understand the graph. Why pick the point that the graphs cross? I thought you were looking for peak HP and Torque?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not quite sure I understand the graph. Why pick the point that the graphs cross? I thought you were looking for peak HP and Torque?
The graphs are the same regardless, that’s just the point where Joe decided to put a line! LOL I don’t know if Joe has the ability to put two lines up, kind of a compromise! Not to get too sidetracked off the Dino, but it would be interesting to see what each saw ran like in comparison as they were, the echo have an advantage +9750 It would be faster if you didn’t dog it in. Anything less than cutting RPM is worthless right, 8K peak is pretty low