Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can dream of that ;)

Maybe someday.

Your water brake and my hydraulic load dyno is what type I would look for, for my pickup.

Something to continuously load the engine.

Likely cost almost a house down payment to almost buying a house.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike I feel that is mainly bad quality castings and smaller transfer area, along with a piston skirt that is the same width as stock, limiting intake and exhaust area, Stihl’s have narrow pistons to start with. I don’t think is because of case volume. But have been wrong before! Lol

the interesting thing is these are all aftermarket casting and are running quite well, he has a lot of work into them to make them runners! If they were left alone I am sure they would be disappointing

I agree with the poor AM porting and that big bore jugs often sacrifice transfer thickness in exchange for addl bore.

However, I try to follow a lot of build threads, and even when using OEM cylinders there seems to be a limit on what most cases will support. Perhaps they would just need different port timing #s??? I don't know!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with the poor AM porting and that big bore jugs often sacrifice transfer thickness in exchange for addl bore.

However, I try to follow a lot of build threads, and even when using OEM cylinders there seems to be a limit on what most cases will support. Perhaps they would just need different port timing #s??? I don't know!
idk for sure, these are 5-9 mm more bore tban stock and preforming extremely well, there is obviously a limit on case volume, and it will eventually not work well with the porting. On motorcycles and quads, we do extreme big bores and case volume isn’t much of an issue on them, have a Honda that’s a 12mm overbore and plus 4mm stroke, . The bore it’s self also increases case volume as well.. maybe the echo has a huge case that stuffers would help stock performance, and the hybrid hits the sweet spot. It would be cool to see what on of these aftermarket cylinders pored the same would do on the original saw...a 460, would it preform better ore worse?

Last edited:

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A water wheel dyno is something to use.
A huge water tank and the back doors open to shoot the exhaust and a big blast of water.
Old school race shop dyno. An old friend worked as head porter, engine assembly, dyno monkey/operator was a team member for Cale Yarborough.

When Cale retired the dyno was sold to the owner of the Budwiser distributor in town. My friend also got to use the dyno/race shop there and continued to build engines there.
I got to see a lot of motor tech and big HP back in the day.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag