Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20200522-012057.jpg
Yellow/green are the same saw from above.

Red/blue is a 3rd hybrid build.

Next week I'll try to get that pile of saws on the dyno.

Interested to hear some thoughts.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 242291
Yellow/green are the same saw from above.

Red/blue is a 3rd hybrid build.

Next week I'll try to get that pile of saws on the dyno.

Interested to hear some thoughts.
I would be cool to see what jug won, I know you had high hopes for one...
That one jug peaked hard at 10.5k that would be a runner!

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s am excited to see what muffler worked best too! And the 440 big bore vs 460 52mm.

I will say 440 big bore is not the way to go.

Just couldn't hang,

Also let you know
All 4 (3 with graph) saws are within 3* on all the port time.

Only 440/044 i use from here on will be 50mm. And can normally find one cheap.

Would really like to find a non d chamber...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think all of the 044/440 cylinders were D chamber, only the 046/460s had hemi chambers.

I am familiar with the smaller case acting like case stuffers, but I'm also familiar with a lot of big bore saws not living up to expectations. Sometimes a little more is good, but too much is too much!

While 440/460 hybrids often run well, using a 460 big bore cylinder on one usually results in a flop and big bore 460 and 660 saws rarely are stronger than their standard bore counterparts.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think all of the 044/440 cylinders were D chamber, only the 046/460s had hemi chambers.

I am familiar with the smaller case acting like case stuffers, but I'm also familiar with a lot of big bore saws not living up to expectations. Sometimes a little more is good, but too much is too much!

While 440/460 hybrids often run well, using a 460 big bore cylinder on one usually results in a flop and big bore 460 and 660 saws rarely are stronger than their standard bore counterparts.
Mike I feel that is mainly bad quality castings and smaller transfer area, along with a piston skirt that is the same width as stock, limiting intake and exhaust area, Stihl’s have narrow pistons to start with. I don’t think is because of case volume. But have been wrong before! Lol

the interesting thing is these are all aftermarket casting and are running quite well, he has a lot of work into them to make them runners! If they were left alone I am sure they would be disappointing

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is very interesting. So the smaller bore saw made better power? Which lines represent what saw?

79,86,79 the power in those 3 graphs

These are 5,7,9 mm bore over stock

Mike I feel that is mainly bad quality castings and smaller transfer area, along with a piston skirt that is the same width as stock, limiting intake and exhaust area, Stihl’s have narrow pistons to start with. I don’t think is because of case volume. But have been wrong before! Lol

the interesting thing is these are all aftermarket casting and are running quite well, he has a lot of work into them to make them runners! If they were left alone I am sure they would be disappointing

The saw with the most power has the smallest exhaust port.

Looks like a map of Lake Superior to me!

Philbert

It does.