Another chainsaw dyno...

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do believe I found out what the issue was. And where the extra vibration was coming from.

I'd guess run out on the driveshaft, having the sprocket so far away from the bearing doesn't help that either.
Also wouldn't hurt to add a couple more bearing block/risers and a lovejoy coupling in the middle...

Something I wanted to do on the disc brake dyno but never got to...

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20200710_144037.jpg

Had a couple different size steps inside the absorber. Key made it to a larger step and spun on the shaft a bit. That caused the arm to whip a bit extra.

I'll order a higher quality 4140 shaft and a bit better bearings.

Even with the oops the shaft run out was within
.003" other than the last 2" where the key slipped and messed up the end.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So... What you are saying is the dyno will be down for awhile longer & this thread will revert back to oogling over baby pigs, discussing pig rental & you trying to drive up the pork market by subconsciously trying to trick us into buying more bacon? Where is that @Mastermind fella doesn’t he rent pigs also??

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So... What you are saying is the dyno will be down for awhile longer & this thread will revert back to oogling over baby pigs, discussing pig rental & you trying to drive up the pork market by subconsciously trying to trick us into buying more bacon? Where is that @Mastermind fella doesn’t he rent pigs also??

Maybe...

Looks like Tues should have the rest of the parts to repair.

I plan on adding an outer bearing on the other side of the drive sprocket. Keep all the deflection out of the shaft then.

I guess I could provide more porky pics....

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those piggies are sweet. Can't believe how many latch on for a feed at one time!

All or none. She will have milk most all the time. But will really drop it once she says it's feeding time. All the little ones nurse at the same time or miss out on that round. That don't happen often.

All of these gals are equipped to feed 12-14 at a time.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All or none. She will have milk most all the time. But will really drop it once she says it's feeding time. All the little ones nurse at the same time or miss out on that round. That don't happen often.

All of these gals are equipped to feed 12-14 at a time.
Uhoh prelude to tata pics.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the dyno I’ve built, it’s very smooth running.

It’s got 3 bearing blocks.

2 of them hold the shaft. The drive sprocket is on the outside with no issues of deflection but can replace the chain if I needed to without taking the machine apart.

The pump housing has a bearing block and the pump itself is connected to the drive shaft by a love joy coupler.

This dyno uses a needle scale which doesn’t move much by vibration.