CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow I had assumed you had purchased a tank and painted the cases. Well that makes for one nice low hour saw. Last I checked Northwood Saw had NOS 288 mufflers at a very reasonable price. A NOS starter cover of the small decal variety might be a bit of a challenge to find, but likely one will pop up eventually. That saw is a keeper for sure :thumbsup:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow I had assumed you had purchased a tank and painted the cases. Well that makes for one nice low hour saw. Last I checked Northwood Saw had NOS 288 mufflers at a very reasonable price. A NOS starter cover of the small decal variety might be a bit of a challenge to find, but likely one will pop up eventually. That saw is a keeper for sure :thumbsup:
its a later saw so i think the big decal wouldve been on it anyway. ill check out those mufflers

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this dirt cheap and I realized why..
Someone must be really frustrated trying to fix this 288. Weak spark but very good mechanically.
Took me sometime swapping known good coils to find out the perfect looking flywheel is bad! The flywheel has good magnet and no crack must be misleading.
After replacing the fw and some carb work it runs nice.
20230109_163112.jpg 20230109_163140.jpg 20230109_163250.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top cover is off because if you pinch her just a little bit even the little arm that engages the carb will flex over just far enough that you have to take cover off to flick it back on the correct side of the carb. It didn’t happen at all this entire tree but it’s a frustrating thing.

Question. Does anyone know the exact length the starter rope should be? No decomp. I’m not a complete sissy and I almost can’t start it. (Had Covid in these pictures but even when I feel good she’s a bear.).

great old saw but she needs a little love. Is the little arm that hooks to the trigger a pretty straight forward repair?

Could someone post a close up of the carb where the arm comes into contact to be certain I’m not missing anything there?

do have a full wrap for saw also. Can’t decide.

running 404 24” hard nose. Just thought I’d show her working

can we do videos here now?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top cover is off because if you pinch her just a little bit even the little arm that engages the carb will flex over just far enough that you have to take cover off to flick it back on the correct side of the carb. It didn’t happen at all this entire tree but it’s a frustrating thing.

Question. Does anyone know the exact length the starter rope should be? No decomp. I’m not a complete sissy and I almost can’t start it. (Had Covid in these pictures but even when I feel good she’s a bear.).

great old saw but she needs a little love. Is the little arm that hooks to the trigger a pretty straight forward repair?

Could someone post a close up of the carb where the arm comes into contact to be certain I’m not missing anything there?

do have a full wrap for saw also. Can’t decide.

running 404 24” hard nose. Just thought I’d show her working

can we do videos here now?

I just pull off what looks a little long off the spool and once installed look and see where it looks good and full without rubbing and slide the handle on and make my knot there. That's as full as it can be.

Heat can be applied with a heat gun to the throttle arm and bend down to regain full throttle operation once cooled.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pull off what looks a little long off the spool and once installed look and see where it looks good and full without rubbing and slide the handle on and make my knot there. That's as full as it can be.

Heat can be applied with a heat gun to the throttle arm and bend down to regain full throttle operation once cooled.
I’ll get a picture of the throttle arm. It’s worn pretty bad Or to me it looks worn

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
starter rope for me is 1 meter. After tighting it to the rotor you have about 3 feet of pull. longer than 1 meter the spring might not wind them up all the way or the rotor groove is not deep enough to hold all the rope if you use 4mm rope.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
starter rope for me is 1 meter. After tighting it to the rotor you have about 3 feet of pull. longer than 1 meter the spring might not wind them up all the way or the rotor groove is not deep enough to hold all the rope if you use 4mm rope.
Thank you. I’ll check these things. Like I say she’s just mean.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0114CED6-CC9D-46EF-9359-2994A01AAE2C.jpeg Not a great picture but yous guys are saying heat er up a little and bend inwards toward the carb (to help keep it from jumping over the thingy that activates throttle?

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the rubber bumper that slides over the end of wrap handle, it is slid up very high. I have always installed that bumper low enough that it will engage with the case when the saw is pinched, and will limit the amount of flex between the tank handle and the rest of the saw. Where it is sitting on your saw, it is swinging in the breeze and it sounds like you have too much flex that is causing your throttle arm to slip off the carb. Also, your mounts may be worn or broken.

As for the starter rope length, I always do what Stump Shot does - wrap on as much rope as the pulley will take without over filling the pulley. A slightly smaller diameter rope will give you slightly more length but will be weaker. Too small and it might break, or cause the pulley sides to start to spread and the rope will bind. If you remove the pulley to install the new rope, clean everything well (including the spring). You will be amazed at the crap packed into there. Then lightly lubricate the spring and post. I use sewing machine oil on the spring and a slight amount of grease on the post. Your starter will be silky smooth when you are finished.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the rubber bumper that slides over the end of wrap handle, it is slid up very high. I have always installed that bumper low enough that it will engage with the case when the saw is pinched, and will limit the amount of flex between the tank handle and the rest of the saw. Where it is sitting on your saw, it is swinging in the breeze and it sounds like you have too much flex that is causing your throttle arm to slip off the carb. Also, your mounts may be worn or broken.

As for the starter rope length, I always do what Stump Shot does - wrap on as much rope as the pulley will take without over filling the pulley. A slightly smaller diameter rope will give you slightly more length but will be weaker. Too small and it might break, or cause the pulley sides to start to spread and the rope will bind. If you remove the pulley to install the new rope, clean everything well (including the spring). You will be amazed at the crap packed into there. Then lightly lubricate the spring and post. I use sewing machine oil on the spring and a slight amount of grease on the post. Your starter will be silky smooth when you are finished.
Very nice. I completely see what you’re saying here. Will do.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did think about the mounts too. I put all new in a 272 of mine. Pretty happy with it when all was said and done