XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@CJ Brown
Just my $.02 here. If you’re planning to cut the squish on the meteor jug you might be in for a real headache. The meteor plating is some tough stuff and from what I’ve seen the meteor jugs have a plated squish band. I’ve only tried to cut the squish band on 1 meteor jug and I ruined a couple cutters doing it and my lathe wasn’t happy doing it. I eventually got it done but swore I’d never do another.
Dats got a lot more value than .02, Forgot meteors had a plated chamber. Must have been miserable

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I cut the base today and ended up removing approximately .040" - I say approximately because the base wasn't flat or true to the cylinder bore. It actually had .008" run-out, and none of the flanges were perfectly flat. This kind of threw me off for a while as I kept rechecking my setup to ensure everything was running true. It may have been okay to bolt on with a base gasket, I don't know.

Anyway, it took me a long time to get my mandrel to run true. I would get it set up to zero run-out, but as soon as I put pressure on top of the cylinder I would lose zero. After many attempts I finally settled for .0015" run-out. Since this was my first ever attempt, I cut in .005" steps until I had removed .040". After every cut, I put the indicater back on the mandrel to ensure nothing had shifted. Luckily it held and didn't move.

So I made 8 cuts and was happy with the final result, and figured I would cut the cylinder extention while it was on the mandrel. BIG MISTAKE. I practically welded the cylinder to the mandrel because the nicasil is so hard it doesn't cut easily and the cutter actually pushed it slightly into the mandrel as it cut. It took a lot of heat, wd40, and a big wrench to get the cylinder loose from the mandrel - no fun. I did get the cylinder off eventually and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. My mandrel has some pretty good scratches in it though.

So a lesson learned and experience gained. I see what Mike meant when he said nikasil is hard to cut - I'm thinking a HSS cutter wouldn't even put a mark in it. It was like trying to cut through a thin layer of granite.
Turning Base .040.jpg Meteor Base Cut(1).jpg Meteor Base Cut(2).jpg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I cut the base today and ended up removing approximately .040" - I say approximately because the base wasn't flat or true to the cylinder bore. It actually had .008" run-out, and none of the flanges were perfectly flat. This kind of threw me off for a while as I kept rechecking my setup to ensure everything was running true. It may have been okay to bolt on with a base gasket, I don't know.

Anyway, it took me a long time to get my mandrel to run true. I would get it set up to zero run-out, but as soon as I put pressure on top of the cylinder I would lose zero. After many attempts I finally settled for .0015" run-out. Since this was my first ever attempt, I cut in .005" steps until I had removed .040". After every cut, I put the indicater back on the mandrel to ensure nothing had shifted. Luckily it held and didn't move.

So I made 8 cuts and was happy with the final result, and figured I would cut the cylinder extention while it was on the mandrel. BIG MISTAKE. I practically welded the cylinder to the mandrel because the nicasil is so hard it doesn't cut easily and the cutter actually pushed it slightly into the mandrel as it cut. It took a lot of heat, wd40, and a big wrench to get the cylinder loose from the mandrel - no fun. I did get the cylinder off eventually and it doesn't seem any worse for wear. My mandrel has some pretty good scratches in it though.

So a lesson learned and experience gained. I see what Mike meant when he said nikasil is hard to cut - I'm thinking a HSS cutter wouldn't even put a mark in it. It was like trying to cut through a thin layer of granite.
View attachment 214035 View attachment 214036 View attachment 214037
Valuable experience gained, thanks for sharing. Strange that you couldn’t get it true with pressure on the cylinder...wonder if the squish band isn’t square to the bore??? Or the end of your mandrel is off??? Just spit ballin

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Valuable experience gained, thanks for sharing. Strange that you couldn’t get it true with pressure on the cylinder...wonder if the squish band isn’t square to the bore??? Or the end of your mandrel is off??? Just spit ballin
I faced the end of the mandrel when I turned it, so it is square. However, I think you may be right about the squish band. I did get a little less squish on one part of the squish band and maybe that was throwing things off.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I faced the end of the mandrel when I turned it, so it is square. However, I think you may be right about the squish band. I did get a little less squish on one part of the squish band and maybe that was throwing things off.
That’s a little disappointing too me, I’ve always had a lot of respect for the quality of meteor kits. This one so far seems to have missed the quality mark.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a little disappointing too me, I’ve always had a lot of respect for the quality of meteor kits. This one so far seems to have missed the quality mark.
Yeah it's a mixed bag with this cylinder. The timing was bang on when compared to a stock Mahle cylinder, and the plating and casting look nice. But the machining tolerances are not great. I actually measured the bores in both this cylinder and my Mahle cylinder with my inside mic. Both cylinders seem perfectly round after measuring multiple locations, but the Meteor is about .0002 larger bore diameter. I think this would place it in the "B" sized cylinder range, as the Mahle cylinder is an "A" cylinder. I would also say the upper and lower transfers as well as the tunnels are narrower on the Meteor cylinder. I am sure you could bolt the Meteor cylinder on and it would run fine, but it is not the same quality as OEM.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it's a mixed bag with this cylinder. The timing was bang on when compared to a stock Mahle cylinder, and the plating and casting look nice. But the machining tolerances are not great. I actually measured the bores in both this cylinder and my Mahle cylinder with my inside mic. Both cylinders seem perfectly round after measuring multiple locations, but the Meteor is about .0002 larger bore diameter. I think this would place it in the "B" sized cylinder range, as the Mahle cylinder is an "A" cylinder. I would also say the upper and lower transfers as well as the tunnels are narrower on the Meteor cylinder. I am sure you could bolt the Meteor cylinder on and it would run fine, but it is not the same quality as OEM.
Did the kit come with a “B” piston?

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did the kit come with a “B” piston?
The kit came with an "A" piston but I have a "B" piston here ;)

I am going to put the cylinder back on the mandrel and check my flange run-out now that I have cut it. If it is excessive, I will have to figure out a way to get the mandrel to run true while machining and clean up the flange before I move on to the piston.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The kit came with an "A" piston but I have a "B" piston here ;)

I am going to put the cylinder back on the mandrel and check my flange run-out now that I have cut it. If it is excessive, I will have to figure out a way to get the mandrel to run true while machining and clean up the flange before I move on to the piston.
Checked the flange runout after cutting the base and got .0005" - close enuf.
Meteor Flange Runout.jpg

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have put stick on sandpaper on the end of the mandrels to help hold with less pressure. I sanded a 562 chamber to cut it before using HSS as well.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are dropping the cylinder on a 288 (or any 2xx series really) it is important to remember that you have to allow for the entire intake track to come down as well.
20200110_091936.jpg
That means grinding down where the intake block rests, and where the filter holder mounts.

20200110_093642.jpg

20200110_093655.jpg
And you also have to have clearance for the carb screws.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She running yet CJ?
Ha! Not even close. I am waiting for a piece of round stock to show up so I can make a piston holder. Then I will turn a pop-up and get some new timing readings and go from there.

Nothing moves to quick for me so check back in a year or so. :eusa_doh:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha! Not even close. I am waiting for a piece of round stock to show up so I can make a piston holder. Then I will turn a pop-up and get some new timing readings and go from there.

Nothing moves to quick for me so check back in a year or so. :eusa_doh:
Lol! Good things are worth the wait, just checkin in with ya...no pressure ;)

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never had an issue with meteor clips. How’s this build coming along?
It came together really well thanks! I'm still waiting on some bits including a new low top (which I prefer). I did go ahead and change out the Meteor clips for OEM. I used it again today, sure cuts fast with an 8pin, full chisel and a 20 inch bar!
20200124_102315.jpg 20200124_102304.jpg 20200124_102254.jpg

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@markds2 I Was going to ask, once you received your low top if you'd Be interested in selling your high top. Then I looked at your profile and seen that your in New Zealand, and sead Better luck next time.....
BTY- Great Looking 288 !!!
Still trying to make a 288 'G' high top full wrap