High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Aftermarket Fuel Line Warning...

tallfarmboy

Jack of All Trades... Master of None...
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Swapped tanks on a buddy's MS440 to a FarmerTec unit. The tank itself really seems to be built well. However, it came with a pre-installed fuel line and filter... Watch this video to see what I found. I would assume most Chinese Fuel Lines would be similar in construction...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The guy next door bought an 044 off ebay that had been rebuilt w/an AM fuel line. When he gave it the gas, the thing would squish and starve the saw.

He stole the old fuel line from my broken 044 tank handle (saw was purchased new in Dec 92). The saw is still running with that old fuel line it it.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The general consensus is that aftermarket lines for Stihl saws pretty much all suck. If you don't buy anything else OEM, buy OEM fuel lines. Especially if you are working on a saw where the fuel line bends and twists like an 026 or 029.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i'll use the stihl grommet like he did and echo 3×5 mm drill it out the grommet a little the grommet never seems to go bad lol no vibration there i guess I've done many and haven't had to fix them so if your in a pinch and need one quick it does work.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a similar experience with a new Chinese fuel line for an MS-210. It's well worth buying OEM for the fuel and impulse lines.

I've used a number of aftermarket tanks. My experience has been the construction of the Chinese fuel lines is just not up to par. They tend to be thin and way too soft for me.
I figure in a OEM fuel line, gas filter and impluse when using the aftermarket tanks. Really not worth chancing it for me.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only thing i use is the black brush cutter type fuel filters I've never had a problem with those i don't even use the chinese fuel lines though.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The impulse lines don't usually don't have a bunch of bends and twists in them like the fuel lines do. I think the OEM is still better since it is thicker, but I have not had any trouble with the aftermarket impulse lines either.

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I serviced a 026 for a co-worker. It was a low budget project, so a tune kit was purchased off of amazon. When i installed the new fuel line, I noticed that it was a bit too long. Since the quality of the fuel line wasnt that great, the line actually pinched very easily where it needed to bend, stopping the fuel flow. It took me a while to pick up on this problem. Cutting the line a little shorter helped with the problem.

mowertech37

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Swapped tanks on a buddy's MS440 to a FarmerTec unit. The tank itself really seems to be built well. However, it came with a pre-installed fuel line and filter... Watch this video to see what I found. I would assume most Chinese Fuel Lines would be similar in construction...

was this the same ad that i saw on facebook chainsaw repair group

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely not Chinese fuel lines on an 029, 039 saw! They form a kink right before they attach to the carb, cutting off the fuel flow. I did find some, I believe that were made by Oregon that worked.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 029-390 saws, there is a guy on eBay selling OEM fuel lines for a reasonable price. I always get some from him.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You get what you pay for... I don't mind paying for chit that works. I personally don't wrench on saws for a living but if I send a saw off to be ported I don't expect said guy to cut corners. If it needs anything replace it with quality parts and I'll pay for it and labor. My old ass cub cadet tractor I just bought runs better than the craftsman mower that is 20 years newer any idea why? I just find it hard to find people with the knowledge to build and make things work correctly. Thanks wind chime legs

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It called built-in obsolescence. The manufactures don't want them lasting anymore. If makes though today's warranty it is a miracle. Worked for a company out Dayton that was building equipment that saying that if the equipment was 5 yrs old it was us tech to stop repairing them so good so they could sell new machines. These were highly reliable simple machines that the expendable rubber parts were simple worn out due to use.

As for fuel lines I don't always use OEM but I do stick to want I know that works best which is why I don't use the Stens Tru Blue lines. They don't perform for me as described. On Homelite trimmers that grey line of theirs don't hold up and I have switch those over to the Echo rubber lines. I also had problem with those Husqvarna molded fuel lines falling apart on their pole saws.

As finding us that still know to do how things and take pride in our workmanship is getting hard every day. Most of repair shop are just hiring part changers and not real techs. There are days that I spend more time undoing someone else mistakes and shortcuts repairs just to get to the real problems. Of course I change extra for doing so.