572xpg vs 500i

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently ran my 661 for two weekends back to back. Cut a lot of wood those two weekends too.

I forgot all about how horrible the air filter system is on it....never cleaned it at all.

Should I consider a full rebuild?

I'm sure it's ruined.
how was the chain ?
i rarely clean a filter and ive seen some that was clogged on other saws that you could not see the filter media and the saws still ran

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I recently ran my 661 for two weekends back to back. Cut a lot of wood those two weekends too.

I forgot all about how horrible the air filter system is on it....never cleaned it at all.

I'm sure it's ruined.
Sew totally ruint. Best rebuild that piece of chit;)

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm sure it's ruined.
Better hope some hack didnt port it :rolleyes:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I go by facts, same filter setup as the 661 which is known to be less then ideal, if it was a great design why would max flow be such a popular add on? Have you ever seen a max flow for a 395? No, because it's not needed, simple as that.
Yet a 3120 has an optional foam air filter to replace the paper one ..................

I have never inspected and compared the openings in the carb box, fuel tank, and filter cover areas where air is drawn in to the filter to know if they’re even similar between the 661 and 500i. The only real way to compare the two would be if they were exactly the same
The cowling directs air differently on each. I helped design the 661 MaxFlow cover and believe it or not, I could swear that Stihl was eavesdropping on me when I was talking to MaxFlows owner. The 500i takes air in similarly to how the 661 MaxFlow cover does

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 251674

Food for thought.

Just one example of each. I have zero cut time on them. Just pulls on the dyno.
Do you have the one for the ported 462 too? To layer among those. I would be interested to see. Cool stuff.

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have the one for the ported 462 too? To layer among those. I would be interested to see. Cool stuff.
You could probably look up the thread where he posted every run he'd done before @ranchdadmike broke it. I can't remember if he did one or not but if it was important to me and I hadn't bothered to send him a saw or $$ that's what I would do.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh sure, blame me. Global warming, COVID and murder hornets are my fault too! Sheesh
My butthurt has nothing to do with you. I'm just hoping to get a trunk-full of saws to him to run before you send another, our governer takes total control, we get snowed in, or the pigs overrun it.