346XP Rebuild

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just shave off those plastic clamp pieces and dump one metal clamp on all those 346/357 I have. I've seen to many scored pistons with those old stupid plastic clamp.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like this?
glad to see you experimenting with assymetric piston geometry, I am sure you will garner significant gains in torque and speed with this build, but I am guessing machining the cylinder to match the piston will be time consuming, bravo and huzzah!!

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpeg

Not a very good picture. You can not put the screw side to flywheel side as it will hit the case. It will not clear cylinder fins in the 12 o'clock position. Installed in the above picture is done prior to setting jug, even before upper spring is installed.

Hope this helps.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 6801

Not a very good picture. You can not put the screw side to flywheel side as it will hit the case. It will not clear cylinder fins in the 12 o'clock position. Installed in the above picture is done prior to setting jug, even before upper spring is installed.

Hope this helps.
Did u cut the old plastic off or just go over the outside of it??? I cut the whole plastic ring off and used that exact same clamp ( from 031?) And it clears it at 12 o'clock on the cylinder. I haven't put it on the case yet, but it is assembled. Thanks for the heads up on putting in so screw can be accessed from PTO side

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did u cut the old plastic off or just go over the outside of it??? I cut the whole plastic ring off and used that exact same clamp ( from 031?) And it clears it at 12 o'clock on the cylinder. I haven't put it on the case yet, but it is assembled. Thanks for the heads up on putting in so screw can be accessed from PTO side

Just the plastic part that locks. I left the rest as part of it makes up the impulse nipple. To me it makes it more rigid. With what you done there is likely ample clearance. Keep an eye at the impulse area.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is that 357/359 plastic intake piece with the impulse nipple really no longer available??? As is the rubber boot according to parts tree???

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might use some motoseal between the boot and plastic partition.???

That area doesn't flex with the av?? Does it???

Not at shop, try to remember???

This brain I have is too old, need a newer with more gigs!!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that 357/359 plastic intake piece with the impulse nipple really no longer available??? As is the rubber boot according to parts tree???
I ran into this not long ago with a common part. Sent a few PM's asking where to locate parts. Turns out the part number was updated. I felt like a dumba$$.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag