2nd Gen Ram Pickups

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The joints don’t blow out…the arms fold up unless you sleeve them or put ballistic ones or whatever on them. Then you still blow up CVs, rack and pinion, and stuff.

Chevys ride and drive better (my brother had some duramaxes) but they don’t tolerate big tires and/or abuse as well as a solid axle.

It’s a shame Chevy took mom’s burb, changed the body to a box, and tried to call it a humvee

Then you see the commercials of them beating the wee out of their trucks, and it’s like uh….

I’d sport a Chevy if it was normal stock use only. For what I do or want to, I’d probably be best off in a V10 super duty if mpg didn’t matter. Or a dodge power wagon (all the off road goodies). They actually give me a little buyer’s regret with my ‘11. It doesn’t get that good of mileage.
didnt mean to hurt your feelings with that video lol

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The joints don’t blow out…the arms fold up unless you sleeve them or put ballistic ones or whatever on them. Then you still blow up CVs, rack and pinion, and stuff.

Chevys ride and drive better (my brother had some duramaxes) but they don’t tolerate big tires and/or abuse as well as a solid axle.

It’s a shame Chevy took mom’s burb, changed the body to a box, and tried to call it a humvee

Then you see the commercials of them beating the wee out of their trucks, and it’s like uh….

I’d sport a Chevy if it was normal stock use only. For what I do or want to, I’d probably be best off in a V10 super duty if mpg didn’t matter. Or a dodge power wagon (all the off road goodies). They actually give me a little buyer’s regret with my ‘11. It doesn’t get that good of mileage.
I remember the commercials for the GM hummer, they jump it over a berm and if you look close you see the toe get all wonky. Then the cut to a different angle and it is now fine. Lol

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember the commercials for the GM hummer, they jump it over a berm and if you look close you see the toe get all wonky. Then the cut to a different angle and it is now fine. Lol
You have the hummer and the ford split beam confused

• Haha

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I don't, don't defend that abomination. You're better than that.
which hummer are you talking about ?
because the civilian one has the same front as the trucks do

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
which hummer are you talking about ?
because the civilian one has the same front as the trucks do
With an extra 1k pounds on it. It is a weak spot, and can't do the stuff they try to say it can in the commercial.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With an extra 1k pounds on it. It is a weak spot, and can't do the stuff they try to say it can in the commercial.
what do you think i do with my trucks ?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’m pretty sure that video was taken just a few miles down the road from my house. I foolishly took my stock 3rd Gen through that a few years ago. Then I had to turn around and take it back down. That was the last joy ride I took my daily driver on. Rear diff has some love marks now.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Which arms fold? Those pics show broken tie rods, not control arms.
Only CV's I see exploded are on the ones with ripped boots and neglected or the dude who totally brodonkulated his ride, gave zero shìts about the joints being beyond their maximum working angles, tossed on their bedazzled jeans and did 4wd burnouts attempting to impress their boyfriends.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meant tie rod. You guys are coming from relatively stock trucks and use perspective. I’m coming from modified hard off road use, and a machine and welding repair shop. Busted shock mounts, frames, etc.

Coincidentally, I’m quoting transferring a dog catcher box from an old F250 super duty to a brand new Chevy 3500, and the old 3rd gen dodge we just bought is sitting there, so I took some pics. The dodge and ford steering linkage is twice as big as the Chevy. We have bad roads down here, heat wrecks asphalt and no $ to fix them, and it’s not uncommon for Chevy A-arms or knuckles to fall completely off..
Toyotas too, although overall I’d say Toyota has a better front end. The falling off on them is usually high mileage shot ball joints. I’ve heard of guys getting away with 37s on the front of 4th gen 4Runners. Rack and pinions are a nightmare. We had a Tacoma where it went out. Went through 3 of them reman. Stiff, leaked, broke, failed early. IIRC no longer available new from factory and or they were $3k or something stupid. They guys at the auto parts store finally said you’re better off with a low mileage used OEM unit from the wrecking yard.

Some pool buy around here has bro dozer bling show truck Chevys with big tires, and have seen him on the side of the road with a wheel busted off once and heard of another. Doesn’t even beat on them. Too much leverage. You can see it watching a Chevy make a turn with big tires.

The geothermal guys have late model Chevy 3500s and they spend several thousand dollars a month keeping front ends in them. Corporate truck buyers won’t listen. Steering, shock mounts, etc.. There are more moving parts and they are smaller and lighter duty. Not as much wheel travel available, and no articulation. Like I said, IFS is fine for normal use, and generally rides better, but modified off road or hard use, not so much.

I beat the piss out of my 95 Cummins for years with a ford front axle and leaf springs and don’t work on it unless I break a stock axle shaft from the torque and weight of the Cummins coupled with a Detroit locker and 39” tires. I have 1.5” shafts to go in it when I get it back…

I’d be fine with a Chevy with a solid axle in the front…it would be as good as a dodge. *for my use*. Ford has a better body and chassis IMO.

Towing heavy, meh…puts weight on the back and takes it off the front. I’m talking big tires under a heavy diesel with a locker….which requires a hydraulic assist cylinder on the tie rod, which you can’t even do with IFS.

IMG_6485.jpegIMG_6484.jpegIMG_6481.jpeg

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meant tie rod. You guys are coming from relatively stock trucks and use perspective. I’m coming from modified hard off road use, and a machine and welding repair shop. Busted shock mounts, frames, etc.

Coincidentally, I’m quoting transferring a dog catcher box from an old F250 super duty to a brand new Chevy 3500, and the old 3rd gen dodge we just bought is sitting there, so I took some pics. The dodge and ford steering linkage is twice as big as the Chevy. We have bad roads down here, heat wrecks asphalt and no $ to fix them, and it’s not uncommon for Chevy A-arms or knuckles to fall completely off..
Toyotas too, although overall I’d say Toyota has a better front end. The falling off on them is usually high mileage shot ball joints. I’ve heard of guys getting away with 37s on the front of 4th gen 4Runners. Rack and pinions are a nightmare. We had a Tacoma where it went out. Went through 3 of them reman. Stiff, leaked, broke, failed early. IIRC no longer available new from factory and or they were $3k or something stupid. They guys at the auto parts store finally said you’re better off with a low mileage used OEM unit from the wrecking yard.

Some pool buy around here has bro dozer bling show truck Chevys with big tires, and have seen him on the side of the road with a wheel busted off once and heard of another. Doesn’t even beat on them. Too much leverage. You can see it watching a Chevy make a turn with big tires.

The geothermal guys have late model Chevy 3500s and they spend several thousand dollars a month keeping front ends in them. Corporate truck buyers won’t listen. Steering, shock mounts, etc.. There are more moving parts and they are smaller and lighter duty. Not as much wheel travel available, and no articulation. Like I said, IFS is fine for normal use, and generally rides better, but modified off road or hard use, not so much.

I beat the piss out of my 95 Cummins for years with a ford front axle and leaf springs and don’t work on it unless I break a stock axle shaft from the torque and weight of the Cummins coupled with a Detroit locker and 39” tires. I have 1.5” shafts to go in it when I get it back…

I’d be fine with a Chevy with a solid axle in the front…it would be as good as a dodge. *for my use*. Ford has a better body and chassis IMO.

Towing heavy, meh…puts weight on the back and takes it off the front. I’m talking big tires under a heavy diesel with a locker….which requires a hydraulic assist cylinder on the tie rod, which you can’t even do with IFS.

View attachment 417376View attachment 417377View attachment 417378
If I was building a play toy it would have a solid axle
Not A arms or I beam but my stuff rarely goes off road and if it does it not for long
We don’t have the big sand pits you do

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lmao anyone who does a burn out on a trailer like in the video is the one with problems
I'm trying to figure out how to tell you that this sort of talk causes me to have to deal with other members who ain't keen on butt sex in a way that will help us keep this sorta of commentary in the nsp thread....if you know what I'm saying.