High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

272xp running bad, I have opinion, what’s yours?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back story to saw. Neighbors son and friends cut a large circle in Higgins lake ice, around 100 foot diameter. Cut a square at it’s edge, made support for boat motor, spun ice around, built a fire in center and had a party. Dad is not too happy, I rebuild this saw about 3 years ago and he has owned since new. Saw piston is scored on both sides FC5AA174-D3E4-4C74-8E58-398375902017.jpegB34BDEA2-9EB7-47DB-AA21-55D744148460.jpeg5EF71C20-5350-4396-A48A-8F4A2D307698.jpegand intake side is worse. My thoughts are it leaned out from running such cold air, or ingested water? Held vacuum just fine. Your opinions.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran my stuff at -15 so unless the setting were way off I don't think cold was an issue.

Most ice saws do run a shield on the front to cut down water spray. I'd think water intrusion would cause other issues than scoring, like bent rods and hydrolocking.

I'm with Steve. Kids forgot the oil.

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think you may have nailed it. Thanks
Straight gassing the saw or a lean mixture will have had the piston scored at the exhaust port side .
But at the current failure water droplets ( fine mist ) was ingested from the air filter all the way to the low engine part ,where it "pushed" the oil film away from the piston skirt.
Thus the damage is mainly done
from the piston rings and below
( water droplets entering the low part of engine ) and located at the intake side of the piston .

It had to be so major the water ingestion ,that water vapors washed off a bit of oil at the exhaust side of piston skirt,
as they were expelled out of the chamber.

Those kids really must 've had quite some fun with that saw ,cutting lots of frozen water.

Last edited:

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He had blue gas in it. Checked that first.
Empty the carb metering chamber onto a paper towel . You’ll know if the fuel was mix ,or not. Not saying it happened, but it wouldn’t be the first time straight gas was replaced with mix to save being “embarrassed “ .

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Straight gassing the saw or a lean mixture will have had the piston scored at the exhaust port side .
But at the current failure water droplets ( fine mist ) was ingested from the air filter all the way to the low engine part ,where it "pushed" the oil film away from the piston skirt.
Thus the damage is mainly done
from the piston rings and below
( water droplets entering the low part of engine ) and located at the intake side of the piston .

It had to be so major the water ingestion ,that water vapors washed off a bit of oil at the exhaust side of piston skirt,
as they were expelled out of the chamber.

Those kids really must 've had quite some fun with that saw ,cutting lots of frozen water.

While this is an interesting condition, having water damage is not seen very often.
A saw ran without oil will indeed ruin the entirety of the piston, which is much more common event to occur and by checking the fuel in the tank, will confirm or deny what happened, in this case it denied that as a possibility and lead to a different conclusion.

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While this is an interesting condition, having water damage is not seen very often.
A saw ran without oil will indeed ruin the entirety of the piston, which is much more common event to occur and by checking the fuel in the tank, will confirm or deny what happened, in this case it denied that as a possibility and lead to a different conclusion.
Yes ,it is a damage not seen very often .
But then again not so many folks cut wood when raining cats and dogs and even fewer attempt to cut with an ordinary chainsaw the top ice layer of a frozen lake or a frozen river or even a frozen fjord .

If water finds it's way into the lower part of a small 2-stroke engine ,the possibility of such damage is actually quite high .Not seen often ,
cause is not usual at all for water to enter the engine.

Personally ,I'm 99% sure that this is the actual cause. Young kids usually deal at one point with two stroke engines .Can't be the case that none of them was aware that the fuel needs to be mixed with oil.

Furthermore,as already I've stated the major scoring is located at the intake port side of piston skirt and far less at the exhaust port side one.
A straight gassed chainsaw will show major scoring all around the piston skirt and also above the ring(s) . Moreover,the piston itself does not show any sign of overheating ( white /foggy hue of aluminium ,due to surface oxide layer thickening ).

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But then again not so many folks cut wood when raining cats and dogs and even fewer attempt to cut with an ordinary chainsaw the top ice layer of a frozen lake or a frozen river or even a frozen fjord .

If water finds it's way into the lower part of a small 2-stroke engine ,the possibility of such damage is actually quite high .Not seen often ,

Personally ,I'm 99% sure that this is the actual cause. Young kids usually deal at one point with two stroke engines .Can't be the case that none of them was aware that the fuel needs to be mixed with oil.

Furthermore,as already I've stated the major scoring is located at the intake port side of piston skirt and far less at the exhaust port side one.
A straight gassed chainsaw will show major scoring all around the piston skirt and also above the ring(s) . Moreover,the piston itself does not show any sign of overheating ( white /foggy hue of aluminium ,due to surface oxide layer thickening ).

I believe the assessment to be correct of water damage, all I am saying is you have to start somewhere, even if all you do is rule that starting point out and move on from there in diagnostics. The clues left behind will always tell the story no matter how fine they may be. Reminds me of Karl...

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Huh? You've obviously never been to the Pacific Northwest or Upper Midwest regions of the United States.